Porta-Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porta-Power

Does anyone still use a porta-power? If so please explain.

Huh??.............

We still carry and use them. I don't want to be rude, but what's to explain??....... A Porto-Power tool is just another Tool in the Big Box....... Or are you asking for information on Porto-power Equipment?....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

To be more clear...I was just wondering how they are used today with the advent of modern hydraulic extraction equipment. In the 1970's (Emergency) they were used all the time on MVA's before they got the Hurst tool.

Comment

For one reason is back up to the power tools. Another is portability. They are hand held and can fit most anywhere. Fast set up, easy to operate is another.
        Jason Knecht
        Firefighter/EMT
        Township Fire Dept., Inc.
        Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
        http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
        EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

Ok............

Dickey made a couple of Points, and there's more. I can almost purchase a complete Porto-Power outfit with what we spend on Hydraulic Fluid for our Powered Hydraulic Tools each year. Porto-Powers never run out of Fuel. They fit in Tiny Corners where Big Powered Tools can't. They also work in a Flammable atmosphere without creating Sparks, as well as working Under Water......... But the Biggie is Weight. I can Rappel or Climb with a Porto-Power to reach the Job......... Be Back with more Later....
          In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Ever have a building collapse? Hoses are never long enough, and they always get into the way. Vehicles down embankments. etc.

Even better - picture a rural department, 20 miles away from the nearest jaws. They may only run one extrication a year. Can't afford a set fancy jaws. Low budget. No, I mean low budget. Not only 80K a year, how about 6k a year. I can do a LOT with a portapower, often haveing the job done before the fancy stuff gets on scene.

My only complaint about portapowers? very few ever train with them anymore. They always expect the jaws to be available, working, and technically possible.

Comment

Yep..........

Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post
              Ever have a building collapse? Hoses are never long enough, and they always get into the way. Vehicles down embankments. etc.

Even better - picture a rural department, 20 miles away from the nearest jaws. They may only run one extrication a year. Can't afford a set fancy jaws. Low budget. No, I mean low budget. Not only 80K a year, how about 6k a year. I can do a LOT with a portapower, often haveing the job done before the fancy stuff gets on scene.

My only complaint about portapowers? very few ever train with them anymore. They always expect the jaws to be available, working, and technically possible.

One of my favorite Tricks in Training is to walk over to the Heavy Rescue and shut it down in the middle of an extrication Drill and Yell "Squad's Motor just Quit, what do you do now??" and watch the fun.........
              In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Still have them and still use them.

One of my favorite Tricks in Training is to walk over to the Heavy Rescue and shut it down in the middle of an extrication Drill and Yell "Squad's Motor just Quit, what do you do now??" and watch the fun.........

Great idea Harve!!
                Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

We have on our rig too. still use 'em. T.C,

Comment

Originally posted by hwoods View Post
                    Call for another Squad!!!

hehe
                    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
                    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
                    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Comment

We don't have a porta-power specifically, what we have is a Hydra-ram. One thing we use it for is forcing metal doors (rabbit tool), but that doesn't happen that often. The main thing it gets used for these days, at least on my shift, is opening the hood on car fires.

We've found that instead of beating up ourselves and the car (and looking silly) trying to pry open the hood with a halligan bar when the release is no longer functional, using the spreader attachment for the Hydra-ram makes short work of the job.

Comment

I did the same thing at our last extrication drill. Boy, CHARLIE FOXTROT IN PROGRESS!!! It really made people panic and think about having a back up.

We carry two sets of tools on our heavy rescue. It took almost 5 minutes of standing there with their bare faces hanging out looking at each other before someone realized, hey, let's fire up that back up system!
                        Jason Knecht
                        Firefighter/EMT
                        Township Fire Dept., Inc.
                        Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
                        http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
                        EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

get em here
                          IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
                          Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
                          ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
                          RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
                          LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
                          I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
                          "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
                          http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

Originally posted by FireRescue61 View Post
                            Does anyone still use a porta-power? If so please explain.
                            Once you are old enough to join a department and get trained...try using a porta-power set. You will quickly learn their usefullness.
                            "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Along the lines of a department (some years ago) whose hydraulics malfunctioned, so they called a mutual aid department. When the MA department arrived, they tried the doors. And they opened...
                              Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X