X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backpack water cannon for Firefighters

Saw this on Dvice. Color me skeptical..

A Ghost Busters-style backpack water cannon for firefighters
    This is designer Jan Thinius's conceptual "Impulse Gun," and it's basically the Proton Pack from Ghost Busters, but made to fight fires instead of Slimer. Instead of having to rely on running a hose back to a hydrant, every fire fighter has the water on their back.

So, you may be thinking, "Why not just use a fire extinguisher? Isn't that about the same thing?" I thought that, too, but fighting fires with high-pressure water shot out of a nozzle is different as it penetrates deeper into a serious blaze.

Man, it'd be great if some of these futuristic firefighting techs actually came about. At least this firefighting motorcycle is real, and can help tide us over.

Check out more of the HPI 1000 Impulse Gun in the gallery below.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Good thing we don't already have anything on our backs... oh wait...

Wonder if you have to pump it up like the super soaker 3000 that I had as a kid.
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Comment

new=progressive=amazing

Right?
      I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

Its been done!
        Attached Files

Comment

It just needs a bandoleer of FIT-5's to complete the wardrobe..

And why did Chong steal my squirtgun?
          So you call this your free country
          Tell me why it costs so much to live
          -3dd

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefKN View Post
            new=progressive=amazing

Right?
            ....or just reinventing the wheel.
            Attached Files

Comment

Interesting concept, especially if there's a foam solution in the tank. With a purpose built nozzle and enough air to empty the tank at a consistent pressure, it might make a dent in a room and contents.

On the other hand, it's more stuff on our backs (on top of that new flat air pack?) and probably can't be serviced on scene like a 2.5 gallon pressurized water extinguisher or an Indian tank.

Another potential tool that's gonna have to prove itself.
              Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Just playing devils advocate, isn't your back where the airpack goes? Should we really limit the amount of water we go into a structure with? And all those loose hoses, would those not be hook magnets?

Comment

This is just a different version of an old idea. It makes CAFS like foam using a high pressure air tank. There are a few manufactures already trying to sell the idea to the wildland fire and hazmat markets. Its main drawback is it only works as long as the air supply holds out and that's not very long.

Just my opinion.

Brad

Comment

I can see where this might be useful..... somewhere in the fire service.

I bet it works better than a fit-5 on a room and contents. Wonder how much it costs?
                    Get the first line into operation.

Comment

I can't believe that some of you think there is a practical application for this piece of crap???

Just further proof that Barnun was right.
                      I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

I know, we wear that on our backs and move the SCBA to the front.

Jason Knecht
                        Firefighter/EMT
                        Township Fire Dept., Inc.
                        Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
                        http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
                        EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

http://www.epindustries.com/cfxinc.html

I have been looking at this backpack unit - but only for BRUSH fires, not structure!

Comment

I solved the Air pack/ Impulse tank problem we encapsulate the firefighter in turn out gear with built in water bladders this serves many purposes. First the Firefighter carries his own water supply. 2 the suit can be made of lighter fabric and you dont need the thermal liner because the water coat and bunkers will keep you cool. You can put a potable water bladder so he can stay hydrated. To top it off you give this Firefighter a multi function helmet with radio, video thermal and GPS links so command can tell him not to cross the streams.

Comment

And then seeing as it is a big bubble you can just roll him in the door?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X