Charleston F.D., what's changed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charleston F.D., what's changed?

Group, I've been trying to find out what has changed with the Charleston FD since Chief Carr has taken over. I saw the article on Firehouse.com but he didn't really go into the changes that have been implemented.

If any of you know, please fill us in.....

http://www.firefighternation.com/pro...ats-changed-in

Comment

This is CFD at a Working Fire on Wentworth at Huger. Every Company was out of their district and 9 is normally second due here. They dropped a line at the hydrant in front of 8's house whcih is just up the street from this address. 15 came in second and Truck 4 on the first alarm. The remaining companies I believe were Eng 6, 3, 10, 8, and Rescue 1 out of St Andrews is/was due as the RIT. Battalion 103 was Joe O'Donnell and don't know who was the Assistant that day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMpxEF4Ag7M

Jimmy Ghi is the Training Chief, John Tippet is the Deputy. Jimmy is from Fairfax County. John from Montgomery Count, MD. Good Folks and they are changing the Command Climate down there. Training is in line with Best Practices and the Officers are being allowed to do their jobs. I have noticed a serious change in the way they do business and the FF's are doing good things. There has been an exodus since 2007 of a lot of the senior guys and the department is extremely young now. Min Staffing is 4 to a piece and the relationship with surrounding depts has improved greatly. Consolidated county Dispatch is in the works and will result in some interesting changes down the road. You will probably see two to three different Departments on a initial alarm without regard to political boundries. I know St Andrews Rescue 1 is supposed to be the Initial RIT for West of the Ashley but as it is cross staffed by St Andrews Truck 1 it may change as St Andrews Truck 1 is the 2nd Truck for West Side.
      It takes a Significent event to force change in a monolithic entity. Still some hard feelings there but only time can heal those. Still not happy with the overtime situation. That can only be worked out through Talks with the City and unless Binding arbitration is done at the federal level I don't see the Bean counters and the Legal sharks from the city giving up any concessions there. They are filling up the staffing so I don't see OT or minimum staffing being a issue, Just don't like the Chinese Overtime they got stuck with. OT should be time and a half. Not the Half time like they do. That has been Partially addressed with a lump sum amount but still not a permanent fix in my eyes. They have come a long way. My .02 cents. Still a work in progress.
      Last edited by Truck_3; 07-30-2010, 11:22 AM.

Comment

St Andrews

Talked to a Captain in CFD. He told me St Andrews has staffed Rescue One and the Truck is staffed and is running as a Quint. He told me when St Andrews is dispatched into the City they are dispatched as a truck. The ST Andrews Truck runs out of St Andrews Headquarters with the Rescue and is dispatched as Engine 801. Not sure of the Truck Designation.

Comment

The realization that ISO ratings are misleading.

Comment

Originally posted by BKDRAFT View Post
            The realization that ISO ratings are misleading.
            ISO has always been a checklist. Having (or doing) the things on the checklist doesn't make you a good fire department. People now realize that... and ISO realizes that... They want to stay relevant (and in business). I'm looking forward to seeing the changes they're planning in the rating schedule. I'm hoping it will challenge my department to maintain it's Class 3.
            sigpic

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
            Working...
            X