Yet another amazing descision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another amazing descision

How do you educate, a Fire Board of Directors when , they have never had any firefighting expierence? How do you attepmt to work with them when the Mind set is, "We have a small town, and this is how we have always done it!"

I would have better luck beating my head against a brick wall, than trying to explain the right way to do anything.

How do you work with that?
    Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

put then in bunker gear as much as possible and get them on the truck for ride alongs as much as possible!!!!!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Originally posted by Bushwhacker View Post
      How do you educate, a Fire Board of Directors when , they have never had any firefighting expierence? How do you attepmt to work with them when the Mind set is, "We have a small town, and this is how we have always done it!"

I would have better luck beating my head against a brick wall, than trying to explain the right way to do anything.

How do you work with that?

Give them a basic course in what you do! Explain all the functions of the apparatus, EMS gear and what the members have to know.

Light a small trash fire and let them use a small line to put it out. Find an old building that you can use for structure training and have them there to observe and maybe take a part in hte operation.
      Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

As said above, get them involved as much as possible. If they will commit to it, put them on a 24 hour shift with a crew (preferably a busy one). If you have one, host a citizen's academy or firefighter for a day. Get them the experience of being sound asleep, toned out, going to the bay, donning full turnouts and getting to the scene in less than 6 minutes, only to find out it's a false alarm and then trying to go back to sleep. And if they fail to meet the 6 minute NFPA standard, ask them to justify why they didn't.

Show them the first part of this video:
        http://www.homefiresprinkler.org/Con...sTimeline.html
        The whole thing is a great selling point for residential sprinklers, but the first part really hits home with most people why it really is important to have the quick response time for a FD.

If you have access, put them through a flashover chamber. Let them feel the heat.

Hose drills... 2.5" charged. Through switchback staircases with only 2 guys.

Make sure they cook dinner, and after spending an hour or so making it, as soon as it's on the table, you get a run and come back 2 hours later to find dinner ruined and have to order pizza.

Give them the CPAT.

And don't just make them go through it all themselves. Explain it, let them try, then show them how a crew does it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushwhacker View Post
          "We have a small town, and this is how we have always done it!"
          I absolutely hate people who use that ignorant line. When one says we have always done it this way it means they don't know why or if there is a better way. It points to laziness and an inability to comprehend.

Next suggestion is when the next election for a board member comes up put one of your own in the slot. The repeat the process until you have good board members.

Or board is made up of a past NYS fire Chief, A businessman, A past fire fighter, The chiefs wife (possible conflict of interest there) and a current fire fighter.

It works pretty well for us.

Comment

Our Board handles the business side of things. They are very good. If we ask for something we pretty much get it if the finances allow. They have no say in how the department is run or how anything should be done. We do have two fireman representatives on the Board according to KRS so that does help. Plus the Chief or Deputy Chief must be present to have a Board meeting.

But as someone else stated invite them to attend a drill or to sit in on a fire school class or two. They most likely would turn you down but you could always try.

Comment

Try to get some retired or former firefigters on your board.
              My wise and profound comments and opinions are mine alone and are in no way associated with any other individual or group.

Comment

I wish I could tell you how many times I have heard that from different departments.

Require them to be current and up to date on codes, regulations and how equipment costs rise higher per year than interest on their CD's. It costs them more when they hold onto the funds.

They are required to be NIMS compliant too.

Comment

While having folks on such a board who have firefighting experience is good, there is something to be said for having people who don't have such experience. Those folks serve as a sanity check. All of the firefighters may think that object with all the bells and whistles is the greatest thing ever, but if you need to convince someone just how great it is, sometimes the polish wears off.

Too, I've seen too many cases where the inmates are running the asylum, much to the detriment of the organization as a whole.

Many times the problem isn't with the governing body, it's with the fire department who can't seem to handle "no."

Be prepared to defend a proposed purchase, etc. "Because we like it" isn't a very good argument.
                  Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Originally posted by BSFD9302 View Post
                    Our Board handles the business side of things. They are very good. If we ask for something we pretty much get it if the finances allow. They have no say in how the department is run or how anything should be done. We do have two fireman representatives on the Board according to KRS so that does help. Plus the Chief or Deputy Chief must be present to have a Board meeting.

But as someone else stated invite them to attend a drill or to sit in on a fire school class or two. They most likely would turn you down but you could always try.
                    This is how we operate. The business side is the Board, the fire side is me.

They trust me, I deliver, they leave me alone. Works out really well.

Comment

you guys all have some very good points, and to give the devil the due 2 of the 5 are current/retired firefighters. its kills me to be in a officer position, and not be able to Get solid votes on SOP's. Just because they "fight grass fires" or " We don't need to worry about that"

I am sure that the next meeting the trouble makers will not even bother too show up and my two FF's will be able to pass what needs to be passed. It ****es me off that i am still thought of as a "retard" because They don't know what IFSAC, or NWCG is, and what they mean.

this is a kinda rant to vent off steam, but thank you guys and gals for some Solid ideas to help me out with.
                      Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by jam24u View Post
                        I wish I could tell you how many times I have heard that from different departments.

Require them to be current and up to date on codes, regulations and how equipment costs rise higher per year than interest on their CD's. It costs them more when they hold onto the funds.

They are required to be NIMS compliant too.
                        NIMS..... Won't even go there...
                        Get the first line into operation.

Comment

Originally posted by Itshotinhere View Post
                          NIMS..... Won't even go there...
                          What is it some people have against NIMS?

Nobody seemed nearly as hostile about it when we just called it ICS...
                          "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
                          sigpic
                          The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X