Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Training Rant

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Training Rant

    Our department has quarterly officers meetings. Part of the meeting includes scheduling drills and assigning a qualified officer to run that drill.

    At last nights drill the officer\instructor had obviously spent zero time preparing for the drill. We spent the first 1\2 hour in a circle jerk trying to figure out what we were going to do. The whole drill was a waste of time. BTW this is par for the course with this particular officer but has happened with others as well.

    How can we as officers try to encourage our members to attend regularly if when they do it's a joke? Our people give up time from their families, careers and personal interests in order to maintain an appropriate readiness level. We as officers insult them when we don't appreciate and respect the time and commitment that they give to their community and to the department.

    Ok, I feel better.

    P.S. I set the good example and drank diet pepsi after the drill
    My wise and profound comments and opinions are mine alone and are in no way associated with any other individual or group.

  • #2
    How about a "pre-drill" meeting amongst the officers to go over the planned drill? Held a couple of nights before the actually drill/training, it allows everyone to review the plan and make suggestions on how it can best be run, assign duties, ensure the proper equipment will be available, etc.

    Run properly, such a meeting can be regarded as a positive thing, not something to hold someone's feet to the fire (which is the real reason, of course). I'd suggest holding the first such meeting when someone who is normally prepared will be in charge of the training.

    Once the slackers see that their peers will be looking over their shoulder, so to speak, they'll either be ready or find something else to do with their time. And, if someone does fall down on the job, at least the rest of the officers can prepare and the drill will (presumably) still go as planned.

    If the same people always seem to slack off on a regular basis, call them on it.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

    Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

    Comment


    • #3
      Take the rank away from them and give it to someone that cares....
      ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
      Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by tree68 View Post
        How about a "pre-drill" meeting amongst the officers to go over the planned drill? Held a couple of nights before the actually drill/training, it allows everyone to review the plan and make suggestions on how it can best be run, assign duties, ensure the proper equipment will be available, etc.

        Run properly, such a meeting can be regarded as a positive thing, not something to hold someone's feet to the fire (which is the real reason, of course). I'd suggest holding the first such meeting when someone who is normally prepared will be in charge of the training.

        Once the slackers see that their peers will be looking over their shoulder, so to speak, they'll either be ready or find something else to do with their time. And, if someone does fall down on the job, at least the rest of the officers can prepare and the drill will (presumably) still go as planned.

        If the same people always seem to slack off on a regular basis, call them on it.
        I see how a pre-drill meeting could work but it would also be another task given to an already task-laden group.

        I think what I'll do is until our next quarterly meeting, I will call the next scheduled training officer and ask if they need any 'help' preparing for the upcoming drill. That will remind them that they are due up in the rotation and I can guage their preparedness.
        My wise and profound comments and opinions are mine alone and are in no way associated with any other individual or group.

        Comment


        • #5
          Our Deputy Chief requires that a person running a drill submits a written plan/outline a minimum of 2 weeks before the drill. Then He and I will review it to make sure that everything is in it's place.

          Saying that, we don't assign drills, but we do encourage any member that has a n idea to either do the drill or work with the DC, or myself, on developing and delivering the drill.
          Train to fight the fires you fight.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Blulakr View Post
            I see how a pre-drill meeting could work but it would also be another task given to an already task-laden group.

            I think what I'll do is until our next quarterly meeting, I will call the next scheduled training officer and ask if they need any 'help' preparing for the upcoming drill. That will remind them that they are due up in the rotation and I can guage their preparedness.
            Same effect. Good approach.
            Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

            Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by BULL321
              I'm sure you figure something out. Maybe if you guys would socialize over some beer, you be able to work through your circle jerk and get something done. It seems you all work better when your drinking.
              That's only if we drink in public view on the apron, throw the empties at passing cars, get really really drunk, p*** on the chief's buggys tires and post stupid drunk pictures on facebook.

              Get a life.

              And yes, there have been more than a couple of problems or training plans worked out at an officer's residence while having a beer or two.
              Train to fight the fires you fight.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
                That's only if we drink in public view on the apron, throw the empties at passing cars, get really really drunk, p*** on the chief's buggys tires and post stupid drunk pictures on facebook.

                Get a life.

                And yes, there have been more than a couple of problems or training plans worked out at an officer's residence while having a beer or two.
                Ignore him. If he can't conduct himself in a professional manner in a worldwide forum then who is he to criticize anyone for anything.
                My wise and profound comments and opinions are mine alone and are in no way associated with any other individual or group.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I guess noone on your department reads these forums?

                  I hope that you shared your thoughts with this person in person, as they may see it here.

                  You make it pretty obvious where you are from...
                  I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

                  "The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

                  "When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ChiefKN View Post
                    I guess noone on your department reads these forums?

                    I hope that you shared your thoughts with this person in person, as they may see it here.

                    You make it pretty obvious where you are from...
                    No, I have not yet spoken with this officer about this problem. In hindsight perhaps I should have before posting. It is highly unlikely that anyone from my dept will read this. Nonetheless, dirty laundry should not be aired publicly. Thank you for your input.
                    My wise and profound comments and opinions are mine alone and are in no way associated with any other individual or group.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Blulakr View Post
                      I see how a pre-drill meeting could work but it would also be another task given to an already task-laden group.
                      Advance your drill planning schedule by a quarter. At each meeting, assign drills for the second quarter following. Review drills for the next quarter (which were assigned at the previous meeting). Officers who show up unprepared will either get the hint or be shown the door.
                      "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
                      sigpic
                      The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        We had a similar situation on my volly FD where we would have no training scheduled on training nights and it generally broke down into start the portable equipment or go drive the trucks. I was approached by a few of the newer guys asking me if I could do anything to get the situation changed so we were actually training on training nights. Some guys were even talking of quitting and going elsewhere.

                        I used to be the chief of the department and I guess they assumed I still had some pull. I told them I would talk to the chief and without mentioning any names I laid out the discontent of many of the FD members. He took it to heart took training over and we began to have really good, really interesting training.

                        All it took was to point out the discontent, and the potential loss of as many as 6 members, for him to realize that change was needed.
                        Crazy, but that's how it goes
                        Millions of people living as foes
                        Maybe it's not too late
                        To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ChiefKN View Post
                          I guess noone on your department reads these forums?

                          I hope that you shared your thoughts with this person in person, as they may see it here.

                          You make it pretty obvious where you are from...


                          Your are right on. Post all the garbage and problems in here and don't even have a sit down with the ones that need it. Maybe they will by chance come in here and read about it.
                          Stay Safe and Well Out There....

                          Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by BULL321
                            I'm sure you figure something out. Maybe if you guys would socialize over some beer, you be able to work through your circle jerk and get something done. It seems you all work better when your drinking.
                            Seriously, you are an ***. If this is your idea of projecting a professional image as a career firefighter you would be better served just to keep quiet and stop embarassing all of us. On top of the fact that there are enough skeletons in career firefighter's closets that we should not be so arrogant.
                            Crazy, but that's how it goes
                            Millions of people living as foes
                            Maybe it's not too late
                            To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
                              Your are right on. Post all the garbage and problems in here and don't even have a sit down with the ones that need it. Maybe they will by chance come in here and read about it.
                              Sometimes posting here is a last resort. In some departments, there is a very old school attitude that it is not a non-officer's place to criticize or make suggestions.

                              To the original poster. At least your guys showed up. I have seen scheduled drill nights where none of the officer show up. And members (even approved drivers) are not permitted to take the apparatus out for training unless an officer is present. Kind of limits the training options.

                              Comment

                              300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                              Collapse

                              Upper 300x250

                              Collapse

                              Taboola

                              Collapse

                              Leader

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X