Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lono
    replied
    I thought about buying that version for a while, but I ended up going with the 6lb with 32" handle. I would have gone with the 36" handle, but for me it would just be dragging the ground. 34" would have been even better, for me, if they offered it.

Leave a comment:

• CaptOldTimer
    replied
    I rather buy a T-N-T tool myself than this little axe.

Leave a comment:

• Acklan
    replied
    Originally posted by rescue1man View Post
    IMO, why would you spend such money on something you can grab off the rig and get the same result for free???
    Why? Pride. We buy flashlights we like. Most trucks carry at least 4. We buy specialty knives, pliers, shoes, and rope for our gear that could be issued to us or purchased much cheaper and still get the job done. The Brother has enough pride in what he does that he want to purchase a tool he will carry and care for, rather than just working with what is on hand. I say "good for him". I encourage all of my guys to go above and beyond. Whether it be tools, classes, books, or degrees, anything that either makes them a better fire fighter, or their job more fun.
    trauma308 good for you. Go for it, and do not let anyone talk you out of it. You came here to see if it is a quality tool, not to ask our permission. For me, I have never held that brand of tool in my hand, much less used it, but from all I have read about it, it is a good, well built, quality tool that will give you years of faithful service. Heck yeah go for it. When you get this axe I would like to hear what you think of it. I would like to hear about the tests you conduct to see if you like it. I would like to hear about the first fire you make with it. If you do not want to post your finding here then PM me with a report of what you think of it.
    Buy it, use it, enjoy it.
    Last edited by Acklan; 07-20-2010, 10:26 PM. Reason: Typo

Leave a comment:

• firefightinirish217
    replied
    Or a better question is, why can't he buy it if he has the money to put on it and really wants it and is authorized to use it? If it trully is a good tool, and it looks like it is from what I've read, and he wants one, regular sized or small, for a personal tool, then what's the problem. I see there being a problem if he doesn't have the money for it, but it is his money and that's his problem if he spends what he doesn't have. I think he just wanted to know if it was a good axe or not. It does seem superior to your average fire axe. I say if you want andhave the money for it, buy it. But only use it if you are authorized.

Leave a comment:

• rescue1man
    replied
    IMO, why would you spend such money on something you can grab off the rig and get the same result for free???

Leave a comment:

• GTRider245
    replied
    Originally posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    If you spent $150 for a $40 camp axe, would you be too quick to say it was a bad idea?
    Sounds like you need to do some more reading.

Leave a comment:

• DeputyMarshal
    replied
    Originally posted by trauma308 View Post
    Everything I've read about these axes in general has been positive.
    If you spent $150 for a $40 camp axe, would you be too quick to say it was a bad idea?

Leave a comment:

• len1582
    replied
    Originally posted by jasper45 View Post
    I don't know, I've only been taught and teach that our axes are smashing tools, not cutting tools. We keep our axe blades very dull for that reason. Maybe we're disputing technicalities, but thats how I've been taught since day one, and everyone else on this job, too.
    Going back quite a few years (80's-90's) I would visit friends in the Boston FD. Many truckmen back then used axes to open a roof like we would use a bottle opener, second nature. You can say a saw is faster, but those guys were good. That's when I was first told...an axe doesn't run out of gas and always starts.

We don't sharpen ours either. Just a bit of an edge. Burrs filed off smooth.

Leave a comment:

• trauma308
    replied
    Originally posted by len1582 View Post
    .trauma308
    A flat head can smash with the flat side hard. The pick side can pry(floor boards or a cut roof section), rip (seats in a car fire or mattress), and dig into an object pull (drag a mattress or section of cut roof).
    Thank you. I realize they can serve somewhat different purposes. The pick-head seems the way to go, since I'll often already have a flathead on the irons. I'm just worried about the light head and short handle. I'm starting to think I might go with the 6 lb. pick-head, with a short handle. I wish they made it in 8 lbs, as it sounds like the consensus is that a heavier head is better, and the 4 lb head just seems too light.

Leave a comment:

• jasper45
    replied
    Originally posted by len1582 View Post
    The cutting. Not necessarily smashing. He could be splitting tougue and groove boards after the saw cut and ripping them up.
    I don't know, I've only been taught and teach that our axes are smashing tools, not cutting tools. We keep our axe blades very dull for that reason. Maybe we're disputing technicalities, but thats how I've been taught since day one, and everyone else on this job, too.
    Last edited by jasper45; 07-16-2010, 04:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• len1582
    replied
    Originally posted by BrewCityFF View Post
    Never mind that the tool utilized in the photo provided by yourself is not the tool brought up in the original post.
    True...I wasn't speaking about the tool. I was commenting on the statement..."Fire axes aren't meant to be cutting tools, they are smashing tools." If I had a better picture with the axhead turned around I'd have used it, what can I say.

Leave a comment:

• jasper45
    replied
    Originally posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    Now that's funny!!!

And I have to agree. I find that most combination tools are not very well suited for any of the individual tasks they try to combine.
    Only because you don't know what you're doing with it.

There is a big weight and mass advantage, as well as the maul being flat versus beveled. This is not a gimmick tool.
    Last edited by jasper45; 07-16-2010, 04:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• len1582
    replied
    Originally posted by BrewCityFF View Post
    Which part of the post are you critiquing? The "cutting" aspect, or the size of the tool...

From the picture you posted there is no "cutting", it looks to me like it is smashing..
    The cutting. Not necessarily smashing. He could be splitting tougue and groove boards after the saw cut and ripping them up.

Many 'officers tools' are smaller and serve their intended purpose. As I said, he should think about what he wants/needs the tool for, before buying one.
    .trauma308
    A flat head can smash with the flat side hard. The pick side can pry(floor boards or a cut roof section), rip (seats in a car fire or mattress), and dig into an object pull (drag a mattress or section of cut roof).
    Last edited by len1582; 07-16-2010, 04:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• trauma308
    replied
    Everything I've read about these axes in general has been positive. I'm thinking the JP special would be good as a personal axe because the short handle won't get in the way. It's not gonna replace my tool off the engine, I'll still be taking my assigned tool(s), it'll be more so I have an axe with me if need be for any reason, especially escape.

This brings up another question: is a pick-head or flat-head better for a personal axe?

Leave a comment:

• voyager9
    replied
    Just got with a crowbar. It's what the real firemen use.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X