Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone used this axe?

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/pr...axe_4_lb_head/

Has anyone had any experience with this axe? It seems like it would be a decent personal axe to have on your belt. I've searched and it seems there's a pretty good opinion of this company's axes, but I haven't seen any about this one in particular. My main concern is the relatively light weight (4 pounds) and short length (28 inches).

It's pretty but $150 seems a wee bit pricey for a shiny hatchet.

You might do better using a full sized axe off of the engine or truck,

http://www.chiefsupply.com/Fire,Resc...Hammers/406AXE

and maybe adding something a bit more utilitarian to your personal arsenal:

http://www.chiefsupply.com/Fire,Resc...ammers/69100TA
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
    sigpic
    The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Comment

You can use $150 better than buying this axe. Use the axes on your apparatus.

The Officers of the Truck Companies use to carry a crash axe on their person for years on end. That has stopped nowadays and the members use the standard axes on the rides.
      Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

You have two considerations.

1) Does your department allow you to carry tools they do not supply.

2) DO you have the money and can you afford to spend it on such an item.

If the answer is yes go for it. I personally find the head too light. I have been carrying a non-department issue axe for over 20 years. My choice was made because I like a much heavier axe. I also like the 36" handle.
        As your personal tool (The one you choose to come off the truck with, not necessarily one you purchased) you should carry one you are confident in. You should be willing to set this tool aside, if it does not perform to your requirements.
        Good luck no matter what you decide.

Comment

This has been discussed alot at our dept recently, since a handful of guys bought these axes.
          I have played around with them but never used it at a fire.
          I will sat the balance of these feels alot better than your standard axe-if you hold one, then the other in one hand you will feel the difference.
          The shape of the head seems to prevent damage to the handle quite well.
          A longer handle is nice,and some prefer a heavier axe head.
          I would say that what's most important is the speed of the axe as it hits the object.
          If you aren't strong enough to get the proper axe speed when swinging, while under control, then having a heavier axe doesn't help.
          My personal opinion is that alot of guys don't have the grip strength to carry the "big" axes, and would be better suited with a lighter axe.

Comment

And......

Years ago, I picked up an Axe at a Junkyard. It was a Standard looking Fire Axe in every detail, except is was only 2/3rds the size of the Axes on the Apparatus. Junkyard guy who gave it to me said it was part of the Emergency Tool Kit on an old Railroad Car.....
            Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
            In memory of
            Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
            Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Fireaxes

Our Department currently has at least (2) of the axes in storage that we're trying to hurry-up and have put on our Truck Company. I have personally used these axes and my .02 is that they are well worth the money. I have used these axes during ventilation training, live fire training as well as on working incidents.

A couple of months ago, my FF and I used the axes for (2) weeks straight while attending a Truck Academy. Honestly, at first I was skeptical but after I used it I appreciate the high quality and thought that has gone into the design behind each component of these axes. My preference is the 36" handle since I'm 6' 2" regularly and about 6' 4" almost 6' 5" in my Turnout Boots.

These axes are tough... For (2) weeks straight (36) Career FFs (all ranks were involved) beat these axes up, cut with them, carried them and literally put the axes "through the ringer" and there was not a complaint among us.....

I know the Owner has donated a bunch of these axes to the Local Colleges and there has been nothing but positive feedback from those that have used them. If memory serves me correct, I also believe that when LACoFD Recruits pass the Tower they are issued one of these axes. The owner/designer of these axes is a Brother from LACoFD that works on a busy Truck Company so he has the knowledge and experience to back it up when he says that he knows what makes a great Truckie Axe.

Well, I hope this helps..... Again, this is just the experience that I and other people on the Job have had with these axes.
              "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Comment

Do you need an axe specificially or an officers tool? Decide what you need it for before you buy a tool.

http://www.firehooksunlimited.net/axes.html

http://www.firehooksunlimited.net/entry.html

Comment

I'm confused; why or what would the benefit of a smaller tool be? Fire axes aren't meant to be cutting tools, they are smashing tools.

My choice to carry for truck work:

Coupled with either the twenty-four or thirty inch Probar, it makes a great fire scene tandem.

Last edited by BrewCityFF; 07-16-2010, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BrewCityFF View Post
                    I'm confused; why or what would the benefit of a smaller tool be? Fire axes aren't meant to be cutting tools, they are smashing tools.
                    I guess you've never done this on a roof.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by len1582; 07-16-2010, 08:56 PM. Reason: Pic changed so axe faces right way

Comment

Originally posted by len1582 View Post
                      Now that's funny!!!

And I have to agree. I find that most combination tools are not very well suited for any of the individual tasks they try to combine.

To the original poster, look at this:

http://www.vententersearch.com/revie...eaxereview.htm
                      RK
                      cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by len1582 View Post
                        Which part of the post are you critiquing? The "cutting" aspect, or the size of the tool...

From the picture you posted there is no "cutting", it looks to me like it is smashing.
                        Besides, the two tools are somewhat different; the TnT is weighted at around thirteen lbs, while the typical fire axe is between six and eight.
                        Never mind that the tool utilized in the photo provided by yourself is not the tool brought up in the original post.

Comment

Just got with a crowbar. It's what the real firemen use.
                          So you call this your free country
                          Tell me why it costs so much to live
                          -3dd

Comment

Everything I've read about these axes in general has been positive. I'm thinking the JP special would be good as a personal axe because the short handle won't get in the way. It's not gonna replace my tool off the engine, I'll still be taking my assigned tool(s), it'll be more so I have an axe with me if need be for any reason, especially escape.

This brings up another question: is a pick-head or flat-head better for a personal axe?

Comment

Originally posted by BrewCityFF View Post
                              Which part of the post are you critiquing? The "cutting" aspect, or the size of the tool...

From the picture you posted there is no "cutting", it looks to me like it is smashing..
                              The cutting. Not necessarily smashing. He could be splitting tougue and groove boards after the saw cut and ripping them up.

Many 'officers tools' are smaller and serve their intended purpose. As I said, he should think about what he wants/needs the tool for, before buying one.
                              .trauma308
                              A flat head can smash with the flat side hard. The pick side can pry(floor boards or a cut roof section), rip (seats in a car fire or mattress), and dig into an object pull (drag a mattress or section of cut roof).
                              Last edited by len1582; 07-16-2010, 04:30 PM.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X