X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rope help badly!!!

Okay fellas, here is my situation...

I cannot find a convenient and realistic way to carry my PER (personal escape rope) without having a giant ball of rope in my pants pocket. My question is, does anyone use a rope bag, and if so how do you attach it? Is it on your SCBA bracket? Bunker pants? Coat? Also, is there anyone out there who simply doesn't carry escape rope and why?

Thank You for the input!!

Okay, well now that I have developed some patience, I found a few threads relating to what i asked. Apologies for hastly posting a new thread without looking first!

Comment

I don't know what you have found already, but IMO it directly depends on what method of bailing out you are using. What works for some won't work for others.
      Career Firefighter
      Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
      I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

i have seen a few methods of attaching them, i know some people who attach them to the scba waist belt, and i have also seen a few people attach them to their ladder harnesses.

Comment

my career dept. uses a bailout bag attached to the SCBA waist belt...everybody hates it. It's constantly in the way and gets tangled around EVERYTHING and they take forever to deploy and use regardless of how much training you have using the system...that's why we call them "death bags". My volunteer dept. uses 15-20ft of rope wound up on itself with a carabiner and just kept in our bunker pants...that method is MUCH faster to deploy and easier to use and takes up hardly any space. But, that's just my $.02
          Amateurs train until they get it right...Professionals train until they can't get it wrong

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeKaos View Post
            ... My volunteer dept. uses 15-20ft of rope wound up on itself with a carabiner and just kept in our bunker pants...that method is MUCH faster to deploy and easier to use and takes up hardly any space. But, that's just my $.02
            I don't know your area and the types of buildings you deal with, but are you sure this is long enough? My thought is: If you can't tie off near the window and have to tie across the room you can lose 10-12 feet before reaching the window.

Comment

I'll take that 8 ft hanging out the window while someone throws me a ladder anyday over burning to death cause my superduper bailout system takes forever ; ) thats just me though
              -Ron Stanton

Avondale Fire Company
              Chester County Station 23

visit our page @ http://www.avondalefirecompany.org

DCFD
              Engine Co. 11
              www.houseofflame.com

Comment

At this time, my dept does not issue a bailout system. A couple guys carry them. I've seen one with the rope bag dangling from his turnout pants. However, our turnouts don't have a harness system in them, so he'd still have to form a harness or hook to the SCBA to be safer. I've seen that bag get caught on things during training all the time. I know a couple guys have 30-50 feet of RIT 900 rope in their bunker pants pocket with a carabiner tied to each end and then clipped on the inside of the pocket. Not too bulky and easy to deploy. We only have a few three story buildings in our city, most everything being 1 or 2 story.

Comment

See if a local gear distributor can install nomex velcro loops into your pocket on the bunker pants. My pants have these from Cairns. there are 4 loops that keep the rope nice and tidy, and I have the end coming out to a caribeaner, and the other end is sitting at the top. I simply grab it tie it and go.

Comment

Originally posted by AirForceFire24 View Post
                    I'll take that 8 ft hanging out the window while someone throws me a ladder anyday over burning to death cause my superduper bailout system takes forever ; ) thats just me though
                    I agree... As far as rope length. I feel it's better to have that extra bit of rope to reach the ground or at least a balcony or window on the floor below.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X