Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firemen and nooses...Why?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Firemen and nooses...Why?

    Okay, I am an instructor for the local tech college on my off days from the fire department. I teach a vriety of classes and one of them is ropes. Invariably in every class one or more students is messing around tieing or attempting to tie a noose. What gives? It has no practical use in firefighting can be construed as harassment, or a threat by some students, and frankly wastes my time and theirs.

    Anyone else experiencing this and how do you handle it?
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  • #2
    Maybe it's just as simple as it's the most famous rope knot. Give someone who has no experience with ropes or knots a piece of rope, and what is the first thing people think of?
    Just a typical moronic, childish, idiotic munchkin.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Whocares View Post
      Maybe it's just as simple as it's the most famous rope knot. Give someone who has no experience with ropes or knots a piece of rope, and what is the first thing people think of?
      That's what came to mind to me as well. I don't think it's just firefighters, it's anyone with no experience with rope.
      "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

      "Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
        Okay, I am an instructor for the local tech college on my off days from the fire department. I teach a vriety of classes and one of them is ropes. Invariably in every class one or more students is messing around tieing or attempting to tie a noose. What gives? It has no practical use in firefighting can be construed as harassment, or a threat by some students, and frankly wastes my time and theirs.

        Anyone else experiencing this and how do you handle it?


        Being an instructor and you are as well, you have to squashed this right off. Inform the troops what the meaning of it is and why it is frowned upon and that they will not be any one made by anyone.

        I have had this before with various recruits classes. Always some wiseacre will ask, "Hey make a noose for us to see how its done."

        I rather tie all the basic knots behind my back as I explain the class to them.
        Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 07-12-2010, 04:02 PM.
        Stay Safe and Well Out There....

        Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

        Comment


        • #5
          Just out of curiosity, how many here know how to tie a noose? I do. I learned it as a kid when I first learned how to tie a few knots.
          Just a typical moronic, childish, idiotic munchkin.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
            Inform the troops what the meaning of it is and why it is frowned upon...
            Horse thieves? That's what the cowboy who taught it to me told me it was for...
            Just a typical moronic, childish, idiotic munchkin.

            Comment


            • #7
              When I was taught ropes, instructors all stated that the first to tie or even suggest a noose, would be fired. Period, on the spot. Worked well for us. One of the few things that was never joked or spoken 'lightly' about.
              Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

              Comment


              • #8
                It was probably the only knot that the student could remember to tie besides the granny knot.

                He didn't want everyone else to know he only knew how to tie one knot.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Oh, I squash it quickly. I let them know there is no use for that knot in the fire service and they would be better advised to learn the knots they will be tested on than the hangman's knot.
                  Crazy, but that's how it goes
                  Millions of people living as foes
                  Maybe it's not too late
                  To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Funny you should bring this up .....

                    Noose Found at Colorado Fire Station


                    UPI

                    An investigation is under way into the discovery of a noose by a black firefighter at a Denver training center, fire officials say.

                    The noose allegedly was placed February in a conference room in a training center at Denver's Rocky Mountain Fire Academy used by both Denver and Aurora firefighters, The Denver Post reported Sunday.

                    "It was put there as a prank," Denver Fire Lt. Phil Champagne said. "I don't think it was there to harass anyone but you can't do that. We are a little shocked at that type of behavior. Even though there is no intent, this is behavior we won't tolerate."

                    The alleged offending officer has not been identified, the Post reported. At the close of the investigation when identification has been made, the firefighter could face punishment ranging from oral reprimand or suspension without pay to termination, Champagne said.

                    Aurora and Denver fire officials are scheduled to meet this week to discuss the issue.
                    Train to fight the fires you fight.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      When i was in college I took a class in contemporary issues. Most of the class discussed advertising and subliminal techniques. Basically the advertising played on the death wish and sex wish in people. I suspect that same death wish is at play when talking about he hangman's noose. I can remember learning to make them back in elementary school. Of course that was before the era of political correctness.

                      What is really interesting is that the lynch mob and the hangman's noose pre-dates any sort of racial issues. In fact the lynch mob has its roots back in the Revolutionary era. Somehow the PC crowd convoluted it to be a racial threat, which it is not.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
                        Funny you should bring this up .....

                        Noose Found at Colorado Fire Station


                        UPI

                        An investigation is under way into the discovery of a noose by a black firefighter at a Denver training center, fire officials say.

                        The noose allegedly was placed February in a conference room in a training center at Denver's Rocky Mountain Fire Academy used by both Denver and Aurora firefighters, The Denver Post reported Sunday.

                        "It was put there as a prank," Denver Fire Lt. Phil Champagne said. "I don't think it was there to harass anyone but you can't do that. We are a little shocked at that type of behavior. Even though there is no intent, this is behavior we won't tolerate."

                        The alleged offending officer has not been identified, the Post reported. At the close of the investigation when identification has been made, the firefighter could face punishment ranging from oral reprimand or suspension without pay to termination, Champagne said.

                        Aurora and Denver fire officials are scheduled to meet this week to discuss the issue.
                        And right on que..


                        In the United States, the origin of term "lynching" or "lynch law" is traditionally attributed to a Virginia Quaker named Charles Lynch.[5]

                        * Charles Lynch (1736–1796), a Virginia planter and American Revolutionary who headed a county court in Virginia which punished Loyalist supporters of the British.[6]

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
                          What is really interesting is that the lynch mob and the hangman's noose pre-dates any sort of racial issues. In fact the lynch mob has its roots back in the Revolutionary era. Somehow the PC crowd convoluted it to be a racial threat, which it is not.

                          Yeah there were no racial issues back in the Revolutionary era, well except maybe that pesky slavery thing. Good call.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by FFRock View Post
                            Yeah there were no racial issues back in the Revolutionary era, well except maybe that pesky slavery thing. Good call.
                            thats the dopiest thing I've heard in a while. Are you trying to imply when the patriots were lynching Tories, they were really imagining they were stringin' up a black person?

                            I guess in that case the noose should also be linked to anti-semitism, anti-catholicism, jingoism, xenophobia, sexism, homophobia, and all sorts of negative behaviors since those were all prevalent issues when nooses were used in extrajudicial activities.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by nameless View Post
                              thats the dopiest thing I've heard in a while. Are you trying to imply when the patriots were lynching Tories, they were really imagining they were stringin' up a black person?

                              I guess in that case the noose should also be linked to anti-semitism, anti-catholicism, jingoism, xenophobia, sexism, homophobia, and all sorts of negative behaviors since those were all prevalent issues when nooses were used in extrajudicial activities.
                              No I was implying that Scarecrow was mistaken by saying a hangman's noose "predates any sort of racial issues". I'm pretty sure there were "racial issues" in the Revolutionary time whether it involved blacks, native americans, irish, germans, etc.. Maybe I'm wrong and everyone got along splendidly back then.

                              Comment

                              300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                              Collapse

                              Upper 300x250

                              Collapse

                              Taboola

                              Collapse

                              Leader

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X