This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Webbing

I was talking to some guys today, and we started discussing the uses for the webbing that we carry and how much we of it we carry. I searched and only found one real dedicated thread that didn't have much response to it.

I carry two 12' sections tied in loops and rolled up in medical gloves.

What does everyone else carry or what you use it for on a regular basis?

Originally posted by K4taw View Post
    I was talking to some guys today, and we started discussing the uses for the webbing that we carry and how much we of it we carry. I searched and only found one real dedicated thread that didn't have much response to it.

I carry two 12' sections tied in loops and rolled up in medical gloves.

What does everyone else carry or what you use it for on a regular basis?
    12' is a little short IMO. I carry 20' for victim drags. It also makes it easier to tie a hasty harness if you have to. Short stuff is good to have too thouhg, makes it easier to tie off ladders and hose if you have to.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

I carry a 20' section, and a 5' section tied in a loop with a water knot. I use the 20 for drags, carries, tying back ladders, whatever.

I use the loop for many things, mainly for when I backup guys on a line (if I remember to get it out...) take a girth hitch around the line, then take a wrap or two around your hand, and it becomes a great hose-rope tool that wont slip. For big lines, do a girth hitch, then put your shoulder (that is opposite the side of your body the line is operating on) through the open loop.
      "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

We caryy 20' in a loop. But we also have RIT packs with 50'rescue rope, figure 8 and 2 carbiners. The Rit packs are about 5" wide x 3" depp x 5" tall. The webbing is in on e of the gear pockets. We do not allow rubber gloves in gear anymore. We had some melt in gear and it was a botch to get out.

Comment

I have a 12' chunk of webbing I carry on me at all times. I used to have a 6' section but that was just a bit too short.

The 12' works great for me. The uses are limited only by your imagination. Can be used almost on every fire.
          Jason Knecht
          Firefighter/EMT
          Township Fire Dept., Inc.
          Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
          http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
          EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

I carry a 12' piece and was just recently told by an FDNY guy doing one of our courses that a 30' piece is ideal as well to handle any lashing into a basket, drags, harness, etc. Really personal preference and what you'll be using it for.

Comment

if you needed to tie it to a tool to take windows on a lower floor from the roof.

Comment

Originally posted by GTRider245 View Post
                12' is a little short IMO. I carry 20' for victim drags. It also makes it easier to tie a hasty harness if you have to. Short stuff is good to have too thouhg, makes it easier to tie off ladders and hose if you have to.
                Thanks for all the input, 12' being to short to tie a harness never crossed my mind at all.

Comment

Originally posted by K4taw View Post
                  Thanks for all the input, 12' being to short to tie a harness never crossed my mind at all.
                  You can always use the 12' to tie a hose line off a ladder or on the roof, providing you do that sort of thing.
                  Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Sailboat shops usually having different types of webbing for use as sail gaskets. They just cut it to length.

Need to ask if its tensile strength will work for you.

Comment

12' tied in a loop (6' loop) with a non-locking carabeaner, tucked in the radio pocket for easy access. Good enough for vic drags, and I have even used it to practice dragging FFs in RIT training situations and it has worked well.

IMO as far as a harness is concerned, you wont be making one when you need to get out of the bldg ASAP, so why worry about it? If you are going to be in a tech rescue situation, you will have gear from the rig anyway.

Anyway, light and streamlined I always say.

Comment

Originally posted by rescue1man View Post
                        12' tied in a loop (6' loop) with a non-locking carabeaner, tucked in the radio pocket for easy access. Good enough for vic drags, and I have even used it to practice dragging FFs in RIT training situations and it has worked well.

IMO as far as a harness is concerned, you wont be making one when you need to get out of the bldg ASAP, so why worry about it? If you are going to be in a tech rescue situation, you will have gear from the rig anyway.

Anyway, light and streamlined I always say.
                        Who said anything about tech rescue? Of course you wouldn't use a hasty harness over a pre-rigged one if you had the choice, but in a bailout situation where you may have the extra time to use it, taking an extra 5 seconds to tie a hasty harness around yourself could be worth it. Not to mention if you were going to tie one around a victime to be lowered, raised or lashed in a basket.

Think outside the box...
                        Career Firefighter
                        Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
                        I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

Originally posted by TaylorH View Post
                          I carry a 12' piece and was just recently told by an FDNY guy doing one of our courses that a 30' piece is ideal as well to handle any lashing into a basket, drags, harness, etc. Really personal preference and what you'll be using it for.
                          I've got a 20' piece that works well for just about anything. In MY experience a 12' is too short. T.C.

Comment

GTRider,

Although I do agree with you point about the tech rescue, that was probably a poor example, I do not see how you can find an extra 5 seconds to tie a hasty harness in zero visibility when its time to get out of a dangerous situation...

Please don't misunderstand, I am not arguing just to argue, I am just playing Devil's advocate.....

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X