X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well...........

Originally posted by Blulakr View Post
    A person is knowledgeable enough at a certain task to teach it to others. But by doing that they neglect to actually train on it themselves. Knowing how to do it and being able to do it are 2 different things.

I think that just won the "Quote of the Month" Award......

And THANK YOU for sharing.............
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

I think this could also be a combination of both Instructor syndrome and SCBA syndrome. Yes it can and often does result in a anxiety attack, along with a lot of other possibilities.

However there are other factors we have discovered that can contribute to a panic/anxiety attack while wearing SCBA. Some of it is physical. A gain in weight over a couple of years and an increase in blood pressure. High blood pressure generally doesn't knock on your door and say you have to deal with me, but has to be discovered that it is something that has to be dealt with. Then there is actually things like certain pollens in the air at the time that can cause a body chemical release along with an influx of other chemcials that rush into the system. I was surprised when I heard this, but it does make sense when you think about it. For those who have not had any adverse effects previously, age can suddenly become a factor as well and reveal new realities when wearing SCBA, including other areas of firefighting also.

It is said that department officers must train for the position that they hold. No matter how long they have been with the department or held that office. I would guess that goes for instructors as well.

Comment

I had another incident where after a fire I cleaned the inside of my mask with tissue. A piece of the tissue must have torn off and remained inside my mask. A couple of weeks later we were at a training burn. Shortly after donning my gear and entering the building, little pieces of tissue started flying around inside my mask. Every time I would breathe in it would swirl around. It got in my eyes and also made me choke. I tuffed it out but by the time we got out of the building I was coughing my head off.

Never again
        My wise and profound comments and opinions are mine alone and are in no way associated with any other individual or group.

Comment

Just as a point of reference, where was your partner with the TIC while you were crawling around in the room getting disorientated?
          "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
          sigpic
          The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Comment

Originally posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
            Just as a point of reference, where was your partner with the TIC while you were crawling around in the room getting disorientated?
            He was across the hall showing another person the layout of another room to be searched.

That was a part of this drill that I was not comfortable with, leaving a person alone to search a room. While overall it speeds up the primary search process, it breaks the 'buddy rule'.

When we trained on this in-house later I changed it to keep people in pairs at all times.
            My wise and profound comments and opinions are mine alone and are in no way associated with any other individual or group.

Comment

Originally posted by Blulakr View Post
              That was a part of this drill that I was not comfortable with, leaving a person alone to search a room. While overall it speeds up the primary search process, it breaks the 'buddy rule'.
              This is the part were you excuse yourself from the badly designed drill. Drill like you work and you'll work like you drill. Take stupid shortcuts when you drill and you'll likley take them again when you work.
              "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
              sigpic
              The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X