Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the "circular" lay which showed up on YouTube with the other video. Interesting concept, but everybody who used it mentioned 125-150 PSI, which would be a tad high if you're running a straight tip. That's the first time I've seen that one.

We stack our flat load with a couple of pull loops. The first is a couple of layers up, the second about half to two-thirds into the lay (as you're laying it), to be pulled by the person taking the nozzle.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

I think that you just need to test them out and see what works for you. We use the triple load on our 1 3/4 Crosslays as they allow you to pull the load from either direction. A "PROPERLY" loaded minuteman only allows you one direction of pull. Now we do have a 2 1/2 preconnect on the rear of the truck which we do have loaded in a minuteman, for ease of deploying hose up stairwells and around “rat maze” type structures. We keep 100 ft on the shoulder and 100 foot in the truck it’s nice because you only have to drag 100 ft, and the rest you can flake off your shoulder as you make turns.

Like I said my only suggestion would be to break out the essentials and try the loads for yourself. Just take them slow and steady at first. Crawl before you walk, before you run. The impatient of excited firefighter can screw up a hose pull just as quick as a excited engineer. Every hose load out there can be screwed up due to complacency, and excitement.

Hope that helps.

Comment

How are you loading your minute man loads? Ours pull from either side with ease.
        Career Firefighter
        Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
        I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

Clarification on hose load

Originally posted by VincentEng2 View Post
          A "PROPERLY" loaded minuteman only allows you one direction of pull.
          Originally posted by GTRider245 View Post
          How are you loading your minute man loads? Ours pull from either side with ease.
          From IFSTA Essentials of Fire Fighting 4th Edition

Skill Set 12-17 P.461

1. Connect the first section of hose to the discharge outlet. Do not connect it to the other lengths of hose.
          2. Lay the hose flat in the bed to the front.
          3. Lay the remaining hose out the front of the bed to be loaded later.
          4. Couple the remaining hose sections together.
          5. Attach a nozzle to the male end.
          6. Place the nozzle on top of the first length at the rear.
          7. Angle the hose to the opposite side of the bed and make a fold.
          8. Lay the hose back to the rear.
          9. Make a fold at the rear of the bed.
          10. Angle the hose back to the other side to make a fold at the front.
          11. Continue alternating sides of the bed in the same manner untill the complete length is loaded.
          12. Connect the male coupling of the first section to the female coupling of the last section.
          13. Lay the remainder of the first section in the bed in the same manner.

The end

Now yes I have seen some goofy minuteman loads that were place on crosslays that sometimes worked and most of the time didn't. Your system may work for you guys. I stated a "PROPERLY LOADED MINUTEMAN" Per the IFSTA Essentials of firefighting, is designed to be pulled from a rear hose bed in one direction.

Hope that clarifies the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by tree68 View Post
            I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the "circular" lay which showed up on YouTube with the other video. Interesting concept, but everybody who used it mentioned 125-150 PSI, which would be a tad high if you're running a straight tip. That's the first time I've seen that one.

We stack our flat load with a couple of pull loops. The first is a couple of layers up, the second about half to two-thirds into the lay (as you're laying it), to be pulled by the person taking the nozzle.
            Actual name for that load is the roundabout and that is what we use. 50' rolled up, grab that and throw it on your shoulder, set it down at the door for interior attack,and spread the middle out, and that way you are only having to deal with 50 ' of line. The 125 psi is used to "inflate" the roll at the door so you can pull into the structure easily. All of our engines are set at 125 psi preset so that is not a big deal for us.
            Bill Davis
            West Harrison Fire Dept
            2009 Rookie of the Year
            www.westharrisonfire.com
            IACOJ Rookie-We all gotta start somewhere

Comment

Help With Hoseload

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...2095101029391#

try this video for the minuteman

Comment

I think we should do an economic analysis on the hose loads before any more suggestions as to which is better. Maybe putting the hose in a red flyer wagon is better
                Co 11
                Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Comment

Minuteman is a nice load IF everyone in the outfit trains on it and often. Add the guy who only shows up once in awhile and let me know what you get THEN........Spaghetti. We use Triples after a lot of experimenting. We flatloaded for years before that without much trouble. Try a few loads and see what the personnel can CONSISTANTLY get off the truck without mucking it up.Then train with it and stay with it. T.C.

Comment

WOW talk about getting guy "fired" up about something. I enjoy good discussion about many topics when folks can keep an open mind, the good and bad to all types. Since we are a combination dept with 8 full time staff supplemented with paid on call folks we can have issues with staffing. Usually our career staff is packed and ready to go when we arrive and are the ones pulling the pre connects while awaiting personnel to arrive and bunker up. We very rarely have long lays from a supply, our dept sog's have us with 250' crosslays of 1.75 on the first outs. I was simply looking for some fresh ideas to try for our cross lays and maybe we will find a flat load will still work for us, but just like discussion on the AFG thread its nice to know things that work and dont work, as well as things to be aware of.

Thanks for the discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by VincentEng2 View Post
                      From IFSTA Essentials of Fire Fighting 4th Edition

Skill Set 12-17 P.461

1. Connect the first section of hose to the discharge outlet. Do not connect it to the other lengths of hose.
                      2. Lay the hose flat in the bed to the front.
                      3. Lay the remaining hose out the front of the bed to be loaded later.
                      4. Couple the remaining hose sections together.
                      5. Attach a nozzle to the male end.
                      6. Place the nozzle on top of the first length at the rear.
                      7. Angle the hose to the opposite side of the bed and make a fold.
                      8. Lay the hose back to the rear.
                      9. Make a fold at the rear of the bed.
                      10. Angle the hose back to the other side to make a fold at the front.
                      11. Continue alternating sides of the bed in the same manner untill the complete length is loaded.
                      12. Connect the male coupling of the first section to the female coupling of the last section.
                      13. Lay the remainder of the first section in the bed in the same manner.

The end

Now yes I have seen some goofy minuteman loads that were place on crosslays that sometimes worked and most of the time didn't. Your system may work for you guys. I stated a "PROPERLY LOADED MINUTEMAN" Per the IFSTA Essentials of firefighting, is designed to be pulled from a rear hose bed in one direction.

Hope that clarifies the situation.
                      IFSTA 4th Edition is obsolete now. They have gone to 5th Edition now and ALOT has changed between the 2. Especially from a trainers mindset on training cadets out of the book.
                      Bill Davis
                      West Harrison Fire Dept
                      2009 Rookie of the Year
                      www.westharrisonfire.com
                      IACOJ Rookie-We all gotta start somewhere

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse