Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of our guys has the Gerber rescue tool and it ain't bad.

At both the paid and volly house I have a leatherman on my gear and I usually have one on my belt at work. I also have a Houdini Pro that I got at FDIC for like 20 bucks and it seems to work pretty well.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
      Which Bowie? The folk singer phase, Garbo phase, Ziggy Stardust, The Thin White Duke/plastic sould phase, Tin Machine era or electronica?
      Space Oddity Bowie. Without a doubt the strangest one.
      Career Firefighter
      Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
      I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

25 years I have long list of tools from folding spanner(s)s to the Beil tool(paratech) to Gerber tool(s), Leatherman(s), linemans pliers, spring loaded center punch(s) seat belt cutter(s0. (s) denotes multiple tools over the years.

Each has thier own quailty. Multi tools require both hands to deploy the pliers and other tools. I have found these tools while usefull really are a waste of my money for as little as I use them, relieing on a heavier tool. $70.00 to $80.00 can be better spent on some real tools
        Channellock Rescuetool; this has to be one of the best tools I have ever carried, a solid hunk of American forged steel that is damm near indistructable. It can cut through battery cables and drop ceiling wires,try doing that with a multitool. That is the main reason I do not advocate the multi tool as your only tool. Grips small nuts and sheetmetal in its pliers. break down hose, prying windows,punching holes in drywall, breaking glass. I have chopped out a car windshield by holding the tool in a gloved hand and using the pry/ spanner end to chop. At around $40.00 it is half the cost of a multi tool.

3 cell C size Maglight throws out a decent beam as some heft to take out a window and its length fits in my pants cargo pocket.

This brings up tool placement on your gear.I like to use my pant's cargo pocket for those large items for two reasons. First when wearing your BA it cuts off your coat pockets to some degree. Two, I put the items I use on rescue calls in my coat pockets Letter openers, rescue gloves, safety glasses, at least 2 pr I carry them in old socks that cut off to protect them. A 8 in 1 screw driver different bits and nut driver sizes. better then a multi tool screw driver a reside in my outer coat pockets. PAT tags are on a leash clip, we have rings riveted on the radio pocket one is for the pat tags the other is for my mask bag and fire gloves on small dog collar squeze buckle style (cheaper and you can replace them when you go shopping at Wally world). Inside pocket cell phone in a zip lock bag and a pair of cheap readers <---- old fart syndrome.
        Last edited by rescueraver; 07-07-2010, 12:11 AM.

Comment

I have a utility razor in my turnout goods. Its cheap if I lose it, and all I have to do to sharpen it is change the blade.

Comment

Three pair of cutters would be ideal. One in each pant pocket and I keep the third in the radio pocket on my jacket. Never know what kind of situation you'll be in when you need them, and you might not be able to reach all three pockets.
            Career Firefighter
            Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
            I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

I am particular to SOG brand knives. I don't know why, other than they have always done what I've asked of them, and I tend to ask more of them than I should. Guess that's reason enough. I carry (two) Flash II model folders ($40 at Lowes last I bought one); one is clipped in my uniform pants pocket and the other is in my bunker gear coat hydrant slip pocket. I also carry a PowerLock (like a leatherman, but better IMHO) on my uniform belt. Both can be opened one-gloved-handed for what I need most.

I also carry the Channellock rescue tool. Used to carry it in my bunker pants pocket but it tore the pocket up pretty good. Now I carry it in a "holster" and get strange looks because it looks like I have a sidearm.
              Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

Comment

Originally posted by rescueraver View Post
                Channellock Rescuetool; this has to be one of the best tools I have ever carried, a solid hunk of American forged steel that is damm near indistructable. It can cut through battery cables and drop ceiling wires,try doing that with a multitool. That is the main reason I do not adocate the multi too as only tool, grips small nuts and sheetmetal in its pliers. break down hose, prying windows,punching holes in drywall, breaking glass. I have chopped out a car windshield by holding the tool in a gloved hand and using the pry/ spanner end to chop. At around $40.00 it is half the cost of a multi tool.
                Totally agree with that. This is actually one of the tools I carry. I still carry a multi tool in my coat, but the Channellocks have become my favorite.
                "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Comment

At my career FD I carry a Gerber tool on my uniform belt. In my turnouts I carry another Gerber tool, a 4 way screwdriver, and a Channellock rescue tool. On my gut belt I carry a Vise Grip multi-tool and a Spyderco knife.
                  Crazy, but that's how it goes
                  Millions of people living as foes
                  Maybe it's not too late
                  To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

For you guys carrying the Channellock- do you prefer the 88's plier or the 89's full cutter?

I already use a pair of full size Channellock (420/440) pliers, so the 89's were a better choice.

A 4-in-1 screwdriver and a sharp, strong knife round out the rest.

Anything else was extra weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Rarified27 View Post
                      For you guys carrying the Channellock- do you prefer the 88's plier or the 89's full cutter?

I already use a pair of full size Channellock (420/440) pliers, so the 89's were a better choice.

A 4-in-1 screwdriver and a sharp, strong knife round out the rest.

Anything else was extra weight.
                      I have the 88, and it's a decent tool, but I wish I had gotten the 89. The cable cutter head gives you a HELL of a better bite than the pliers. The pliers do the job, it just may take a few more cuts.

So in my pockets at all times I've got a 4 in 1 screwdriver, Vice Grips Multi tool, Channels lock Rescue tool, a Gerber multi tool, Crescent wrench, Res-Q-Wrench, and a Stanley 10-804 Sportsmans Knife (Utility blade on one end, fold out knife on the other.) I've always got a Smith and Wesson Black Ops assisted opening knife either in my duty pants pockets on in my jeans as well.

It may seem like a lot, but everything in my pockets has been used on more than one occasion.
                      "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Comment

I am gonna say that a leatherman is the way to go. While these big name knives do work, stuff falls out of your pocket all the time. Plus weight reduction is the name of the game. If you are carrying a handful of tools that is gonna at weight and size to your gear. That stuff could be replaced with one tool, and you will reduce your profile and gear weight. I know that this stuff is not going to add 10 lbs but that stuff still has weight.

Tool placement is also key. A lot of people put stuff in there pockets when they have not SCBA on then when you need it, it is covered and hard to get too.
                        The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men. ~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I've always had an old-school original Leatherman, and I later bought a ResQRench. It worked pretty well, though I didn't really ever use it much, mostly just the pry bar and seat belt cutter. I kept in my turnout pants the tools I might likely use when I'd have my SCBA on. In my coat was my folding utility knife and eye pro.

Comment

As far as knives go.... Lets just say i'm a knife guy I have knives that cost more then some guys cars..... I have been in Blade Mag. interviewed about knives for FF and wrote one piece for Tactical Gear.

For a bread and butter folder Spyderco is very good look at the Endura and Delica.

That Gerber folder is a design by a custom maker and FF named Rick Hinderer . I have one of his customs XM-18. He has not taken orders for that knife ( custom) in over 1 1/2 years now... to back logged.

With knives you get what you pay for. In production knives Spyderco, Kersaw, Benchmade CRKT are some of the good ones. Now they also offer different levels with in these brands fyi .

I gave up on multi-tools on the job , but if they work for others cool. I found that by the time I got it out unfolded etc. Someone else just pulled out a channel lock or screw driver.... I also prefer full sized ones in my bunkers.

Good Luck.

Comment

I have the 88. Cuting car battery cables require a few cuts. For me haveing the pliers offer more versitility, the cable cutter head is a single use design. I was able to take out a side window in a car and pull up the broken off push style lock and open the car door.

Comment

thanks for the Channellock tool idea.
                                it looks nice.
                                one more thing.
                                some of these tools like the ResQRench and resqme have this metal tip for shattering car windows?
                                does it really shatter laminated car windows?
                                anyone tried doing it?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X