Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have only seen two sets of black bunker gear in Texas, both were no longer in service. Mostly yellow Lion or Janesville, the occasion set of Fire-Dex PBI tan. Also, I have never seen red bunker gear anywhere it Texas

Comment

Black / Lime Trim

Comment

Hello, we use yellow turnouts. Don't get black, they attract heat and inst that what we are not trying for?

Black attracks heat!

Comment

In a sense you are right Black does attract heat. However....it is a myth.

I remeber reading about a study a few years back. If memory serves it was a study conducted with I think it was NIST & FEMA and some others. It found that there is no appricable difference between the Black and gold/tan gear in absorbtion of radiated heat.

If I remember corectly it measured body core temps and they checked to see if Black gear increased the core body temp. It found that it had a negilgible effect on the core body temp. (which after all is the temp that is really important)

There was a Small increase in surface temp of the gear when exposed to radiated heat however this was just the surface temp of the gear which has nothing to do with you being cool(we are talking in fractions of degrees.)

This whole Black gear/tan gear thing is just a myth & prob started when some guy thought back to his high school physics class and thought it would have the same effect.

Black gear is nice in that it hides dirt and stains that tan gear wont.

Two cents from a fireman.

Comment

Currently PBI black w/yel wht trim. If you don't wanna hear an "old goat" story don't read any further.
            In the mid 70's I got my start as a vol. in SW Virginia, the dept. had little money so we bought our gear from a safety equip. supplier that sold us surplus gear from canceled orders and such. So we had fellas on the scene with black, yellow, white and yes red bunker coats and a varitey of helmets in as many colors. Lesson learned once you wash the red coats they turned "pink" and you couldn't give the damn things away!
            Jeff

Comment

I saw some red stuff with yellow/silver tricolor stripeing in an ad once, and I like it. Really looks good and is brighter than black or tan. Anybody know who makes it?

Althea

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X