This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York State FF

Can anyone fill me in as to what type of training you need to make fire fighting a career? I am currently a member in a Vollie dept. but I would like to make a career of this. I have looked online and asked people, but they are very slow to return my calls. I already have my basic done and am waiting for the next intermediate class to begin. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin Lightfoote

Check out the New York State Academy of Fire Science. They're located in Montour Falls, New York (Finger Lakes area. There is also a branch in Poughkeepsie at Camp Smith. It is a great fire training school with classes throughout the year during the week and weekends to accommedate your schedule. They offer a wide variety of training from instuctors all over NY State. For starters I recommend going through the academy to get certified as Firefighter I & II.

With the trends now in the fire service your best bet would be to continue with your EMS classes and persue Paramedic.

If you have any more questions or would like more information please e-mail me at [email protected] and I will get you more info on the NYSAFS.

All the best,
    Glen Bordas

Comment

As a fellow N.Y. volunteer I'd like to offer my help; but take this with a grain of salt.
      I don't think that there is a state-wide certification test. I believe that the next step would be to take city- or county-administered exams. I'm not sure where in New York state you live, or would like to firefight, but go on-line to specific department sites and look for information on job openings. Most departments give their written exams yearly. Based on the results, they will contact you with information on when to take physical exams. From what I can tell, it helps to be at least an EMT (if not a medic) when you begin the process. Again, this is what I have learned from watching friends try the professional route. Good luck. Stay safe!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
      Working...
      X