Traditional Doors vs Roll Up Doors

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skeeter03

Traditional Doors vs Roll Up Doors

Our company is currently designing a new engine/rescue to replace our current 79 Mack engine and 90 E-One rescue. The hardest decision is whether to use traditional doors or roll up doors. The company is split 50-50. Looking for any comments and experience with the use of roll up doors.
  • Pa Fire/Rescue

This too was a topic at our apparatus planning meeting. On our 97 Pierce HD Rescue we went with traditional doors. The only thing they are nice for is that we can close one of the double doors to keep rain and snow out. Thats about it. They are usually in the way and block our power plant operators view at a crash. Our new Cascade unit is comming from pierce with roll up doors. We belive they will work better with what we have planned. Another problem with our traditional doors is that they often block lanes of travel while they are open. That doesn't bother us (firefighter safety) but our PD hates closing roads and directing traffic. My choice, Go with the roll-ups.

Comment

• gunnyv

I posted this ? 2/2/01 and got about 25 responses. Check back a few pages, I bet it's still there.

Comment

• Resq279

In response to your roll up vs. traditional: Our department recently took delivery of a Alexis Vision 2000 Rescue pumper www.alexisfire.com> and we opted to go with the roll-up doors. The only disadvantage that I can see so far with them is that even after you was the apparatus, water will still be present in between the slats. Good luck!!!

Comment

• FFWALT

When we designed our new rescue we put in one roll up door at the rear for the hydraulics. Worked good so far. The only thing I know is that if something falls against the door and lodges it could bind the door shut. That fact alone makes me favor traditional doors. Ask your local beer or pop distributors, they are probably using Hackney roll ups and would have the most wear and tear on them. Just my two cents.

------------------
          Train like you want to fight.

Comment

• Tindog18

Roll up are nice they don't obstruct view of traffic or scene activities. Two down falls soap and water are held up in that slats, and the thought of something getting lodged against it, happened oce with a back board stuck against the back side, won't happed again everything is tied back. Tradition daoors are nice less or a hassle and i'll bet cheaper. which ever you choose look into those bean bag type tarps that fall out when the door opens it will help save your paint or finish.

Comment

• pwc606

The roll up door is nice for safety but you must keep them clean. I have always been very concerned about the safety of the power person on the highway with the traditional doors of our rescue. It only leaves you with a little space for walking unless you close the road. The police don't mind it if that's what needs to be done but during clean up they always ask why the road must still be closed.
              The other problem with the roll up door is the amount of space that they can take up. When I sat down with the manufacturer of our new rescue I told him the size compartment we wanted to have and then added another 6-12 inches for the roll itself. They are space eaters in the ceiling area so make sure your design fits your needs.

Comment

• Looper

The last four trucks (2 engines, rescue, tower) we purchased all had roll up doors and they have worked out just fine. Just make sure your equipment & tools are secured -- you wouldn't want the stuff sliding around anyway. All of our future trucks will also have roll-ups.

Comment

• BFD847

We have roll up doors all the way around our two new pumpers, even covering the rear mount pump panel. They have been in service about a year now. They look very good.
                  I feel it will kind of depend on your need.
                  They do take up some space in the top of your cabinet. And they do hold some water. Although I'm not sure that is a big concern. I believe they are made from aluminum. They splash some water in your face some times if your not careful. Your equipment will need to be mounted good we had a fold up ladder get against ours and had a heck of a time getting the door up. Only a small amount of maintnance in cleaning and lubing the track. About the only thing I miss the old style for is on rainy days, I don't have a canopy to stand under now.
                  If you do go with roll up be sure to talk to the manufacture about installing a shield in the area were the door rolls into. This will prevent form marking up your door while removing equipment from the top shelf.

Comment

• WVFD EMT

Our new engine uses roll up doors and we have had no problems with them, they do not block your view, and provide easy access. The only problem we have had, is our doors have sensors that show when a door is still open, and have given some false readings in the cab.

Comment

• FFTrainer

We cover about 30 miles of 4 lane interstate highway so we are moving to roll-ups on each new piece as it is designed. It has been much easier having doors that swing out and having a little smaller profile on the side of the highway since we all know how observant people are when they are trying to drive passed an accident scene.

Comment

• PittsvilleMDStation7Cadet
                        Temporarily Inactive
                        • Nov 2001

Roll Up

My personal opionion is roll up becasue they are just out the way, sometimes when you are in the heat of moment you attend to run into things that you cannot remember being there, with the roll up it is pretty much out of the way. Plus autos running into the doors, it happens!

Comment

• mdepas3280
                          Forum Member
                          • Mar 2001

Roll up doors are nice if you don't mind losing space at the top of the compartment......We have a Ladder Trk and a Rescue Trk with them ...The New Tower unit will not have them because we lost to much room in the compartment.....
                          IACOJ Membership 2002
                          {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

Comment

• captstanm1
                            District Chief
                            • Mar 2001

They are great for safety. No open doors on the highway or doors coming open as you leave the station and then..."no door at all"

Yes..they do take up space...so as PWC606 says....be prepared for that and modify accordingly. Additionally, keep em clean.

My opinion is that you should go with the best door if you chose roll-ups. That would be a dover roll-up as far as I am concerned. I have seen a lot of Roll-ups in my travels and the dover seems to be the best. Others seem very cheap.
                            09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
                            ------------------------------
                            IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
                            "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
                            BMI Investigator
                            ------------------------------
                            The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

• trumpeter75
                              Forum Member
                              • Aug 2000

I'm going to echo several things that have been said on this thread, but I want to stress. Our engine has all traditional doors, except for the rear bin, which has a roll-up. If something tips over onto it, it will not open without an hour or so of digging around and trying to dislodge whatever's tipped over. I'm not talking about stuff which should be secured; the small stuff is secured. It's bigger stuff like smoke ejectors and cribbing that slide against the door when you take turns, etc. Also, it HAS to be kept clean, or else any little bit of dirt will (and has) clog up the thing so it doesn't open and/or close quite right. I've heard normally soft-spoken, clean mouted firefighters start wearing like a sailor upon mention of the roll-up door.

I'm not a big fan of the roll-up door. Too many moving parts, more chance of a little ding fouling the whole door.
                              I can think of no more stirring symbol of man's humanity to man than a fire engine.

--Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...