HEY !!!!! BACK DOWN OVER THERE CT !!!

Leave a comment:

• MIKEYLIKESIT
    replied
    But it's such a fresh topic.

Leave a comment:

• Adze39
    replied
    Nothing like chiming in a little over 2 years after the last post, right NJ?

Leave a comment:

• NJFFSA16
    replied
    FYI...The State of New Jersey Statute reads:

39:3-54.12. Rights of motor vehicle with light in operation
    Nothing contained herein is intended to grant to any member of a volunteer fire company or a volunteer first aid or rescue squad any privileges or exemptions denied to the drivers of other vehicles, and such members displaying emergency warning lights shall drive with due regard for the safety of all persons and shall obey all the traffic laws of this State, provided, however, that the drivers of non-emergency vehicles upon any highway shall yield the right of way to the vehicle of any member of a volunteer fire company or a volunteer first aid or rescue squad displaying emergency warning lights in the same manner as is provided for authorized emergency vehicles pursuant to R.S. 39:4-92.

It's rarely enforced, so drive carefully...

Leave a comment:

• WFD56
    Guest replied
    I totally agree with you Chief1001. There is obviously a lack in courtesy. We are NOT allowed any warning lights, only our Four-way Hazards. I have had about 5 vehicles yield ever, most motorists just give me funny looks. Personally I think Red (in WI) could and should be utilized, I would think they would be better than trying to run your Hazard lights

------------------
    They're so hell bent on giving, walking a wire, convinced it's not living, if you STAND OUTSIDE THE FIRE.

Leave a comment:

• chief1001
    Guest replied
    I think the individuals who ignore blue lights are the same people who would either speed up and race away from your engine so they dont have to pull over or they complain and procrastinate when a vehicle with red lights is behind them and they have no choice. Even with red lights I've been called a few names that I could read on their lips as I look at them in their rear view mirror as well as a finger or two. I think common courtesy in our society is whats missing, hence courtesy lights seem to have no value. Someone elses emergency is less important than their dinner. Just my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• gov't dawg
    Guest replied
    the use of blue lights has become an out dated and sometimes embarrassing portion of our jobs. Most people don't use them correctly, and can actually do more harm than good. the fire will STILL BE THERE!I have a member of my company live 4 miles from the station and he can beat me there from my home which is three blocks!I have red lights(fm) and i rarely use them. civilliand get confused enough by seeing lights going in opposite directions to the station and to the scene.

Leave a comment:

• Eng522ine
    Guest replied
    JD... don't forget the 50 candle power limitation!!! I don't even think they make 50 cp lights anymore! But just so you know, the NJ law has changed, if they fail to yeild to your blue light write down their tag number and you can go sign out a "failure to yeild" citation against them. Don't forget though, to do this you must have a valid state permit for your light (unlike most FF's and EMT's that I know). If you want I can get you the number of the ammended statute. Be safe all.

Leave a comment:

• JD
    Guest replied
    First, look at the NJ Blue Light Law as it's currently written:
    "No more than two blue lights shall be used...If one is used it shall be mounted on the center of the roof; the left windshield column;or the front of the vehicle so that the top of the light is no higher than the top of the vehicle's headlights. If two blue lights are used they shall be mounted on either side of the roof at the front of the vehicle directly behind the top of the windshield; or on each windshield column.The blue lights shall be temporaily attached, removable lights of the flashing or revolving type and shall not exceed seven and one half inches in diameter."
    So ask yourself "does my blue light meet the standard?" Probably not. Therefore any motorist in NJ could contest and probably have any "failure to yield" summons tossed out.
    Second, in fifteen years of volunteering I never have experienced an alarm panel that didn't get reset or even a house fire that wasn't extinguished because I didn't get to the firehouse first. What I'm saying is slow the F down! Every year we hear of volunteers dying in MVA's while responding in their personal vehicles. No call is worth that price.
    Lastly, even if you posses a blue light that is completely legal it still gives you no right to utilize it to intimidate motorists into yielding the right of way. Our job is to protect lives and property, not put them at risk by forcing drivers to the side of the road!
    Trying working to overcome the steroytype of the "crazy blue lighters" by responding with caution and courtesy for those who you've sworn to serve.

Leave a comment:

• Brian Dunlap
    Guest replied
    Postal79...
    I too am from the Great Garden State {Southern End} and encounter the same problems... Like others have said The Blue Light is a Courtesy and there are those that move and those that don't --- I've learned to deal with it --- I agree there should be some kind of law or fines levied on those that don't yield but I believe thats been going on since the late 60's to early 70's when this Blue-Light Thing Started in NJ ---It is evil to say but when the person who failed to move for the blue light has an emergency of thier own the first words out of thier mouth are going to be "What took you So Long" I've herd it before --- Most people even in NJ fail to realize that Fire/EMS is 60 to 70% Volunteers that aren't at the station when the call for help comes

Leave a comment:

• hanger44
    Guest replied
    It's no wonder no one pulls over, blue lights are for snow removal equipment!! Sorry guys, in Ontario we use green lights. The story is still the same though. Just remember that they are usually courtesy lights and most motorists (as we all know) are not very courteous. Pulling up behind someone and honking your horn is a bad idea. Not only dangerous but also gives us a bad name.

Leave a comment:

• cfr3504
    Guest replied
    Here in Va, blue lights are for law enforcement only. Fire and Rescue use red or red/clear, for apparatus, and POV. In POV, we are allowed to run lights but NO siren or other audible warning device. also according to the law, you can only have two lights on you vehicle, and wig-wags and hide-away strobes are illegal on POV. The lights that we can run on our POV are like some of you said a "courtesy light" asking for right of way, but motorist are not required to yeild by law, and you are not authorized to violate any traffic laws. Of course unless you are doing something stupid, MOST police will not bother you for running a few mph over the limit. In my POV I have red/clear sealed beam halogen grill lights, and a Whelen dual head strobe under the rear-view mirror. BUT I generally don't run both at the same time, because that's 4 lights, and is technically illegal. Sounds like BS huh? Well I think so too, but what can you do?

Leave a comment:

• nomad1085
    Guest replied
    Very good point, that should apply anywhere. You are never guaranteed the right of way. If you blow through a red light thinking everyone will see you and stop to let you pass, you need to get out of the driver seat. Our state law and dept policy in CT for example, is to slow and approach with caution, proceeding when you have secured the right of way (ie- everyone is stopped or there is no one there anyway). Airhorn, Federal Q, and Whelen Piercer and Yelp are a pretty effective combonation for accomplishing this task.

A good rule of thumb for driving to a incident or directing traffic is just assume that all other drivers are total MORONS. Most of the time, this does prove true

Leave a comment:

• sloepoke1
    Guest replied
    In Ky your red lights and sirens do not give you automatic right away but at the same time the public is required to yeild to emergancy vehicles; police cars, fire engines, and volly p.o.v.s . If caught police can cite the offender but in my area they usually give "friendly" warnings.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X