X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • auxman
    Forum Member
    • Apr 2009

Incorporating reflective materials into fire hose

Has anyone heard of firehose with some sort of reflective material incorporated into it? I would think that when struck by a firefighter's flashlight that this would help them find the hose and to help them get out of a building if they became separated from the hose.

Alternatively, with some of the advancements they're making in LEDs, how about incorporating a string of LED lights into the hose?

Am I nuts?
  • JayDudley
    Forum Member
    • Jan 2006

Lighted Fire Hose

Do you mean like this?????
    Attached Files
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Comment

• BULL321
      MembersZone Subscriber
      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by JayDudley
      What is the cost per foot for something like this and how does it does it hold up?
      Stay Safe
      Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
      - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
      -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Comment

• auxman
        Forum Member
        • Apr 2009

More or less. Darn, thought I had the million dollar idea.

Comment

• mikeyboy
          MembersZone Subscriber
          • Mar 2006

"Combat Firehose" Company has hose that has reflective type of material in the white part of the hose. When I first came on my current Department we had a lot of this hose. It is green with (2) large white stripes down the hose. I actually liked the hose.
          "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Comment

• Dr.Rescue.EMT
            Forum Member
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by jaydudley
            do you mean like this?????
            LOL!
            like a fireman from starwars
            Attached Files
            VB Rescue Squad 14
            EMT-Basic

Comment

• JJR512
              Forum Member
              • Sep 2010

As most of you all know by now, I have no firefighting experience or training (yet). But I have been spending time in the station and I have been looking at the apparatus, trying to build up a memory of where things are, what things are, and so on. So I've never handled a hose (fire hose, that is ), but I've seen them.

As I'm looking at the picture in this thread, and reading a description of reflective material in the white part of the hose, I'm thinking back to what I've seen, and realizing I've never seen a white fire hose. I've seen hose that looks like it may have been white once upon a time, but now is far from it.

So this makes me wonder how long would the reflectivity actually last? Before it either wears out, since the actual microscopic reflective beads are pretty delicate, or else it just gets so dirty that you can't even see it anymore. As I said, I have no idea myself, and this is a question I am asking in the hope that maybe mikeyboy or someone with more experience can speak to.
              -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

Comment

• FIREguy2011
                Forum Member
                • Dec 2010

you've never seen a clean hose before?
                so much for station maintenance and etc.
                Benton Fire District Four
                Ladder One
                First Due!

Caddo Parish Fire District 1
                Career Firefighter/Paramedic

When things get rough, just say:
                Acabo de perder cinco minutos de su vida.

Comment

• JJR512
                  Forum Member
                  • Sep 2010

Originally posted by FIREguy2011
                  you've never seen a clean hose before?
                  so much for station maintenance and etc.
                  Not clean as in like new. Not clean as in white is white. But not dirty as in covered in ick. To put another way, the hoses I've seen look just like the turnout gear of experienced firefighters after the gear is a couple years old.

The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

Comment

• CanadianFyrTrks
                    Forum Member
                    • Apr 2008

There was an article written in another magazine over the past year, to which month I can't remember.

The article was featuring hose makers fabricating lighter hose with less friction loss. There was the thought that hose be impregnated with reflective trim or glow in the dark fabrics down the road.

With the addition of secured hose beds, I wonder how well glow in the dark hose would work as it needs some amount of light to maintain it's state

Comment

• JayDudley
                      Forum Member
                      • Jan 2006

Experience

I hope you meant experience in the making of white fire hose JJR512. I think 30 + years in the Fire Service is enough experience for anything else you might want to know.
                      Respectfully,
                      Jay Dudley
                      Retired Fire
                      Background Investigator
                      IACOJ-Member
                      Lifetime Member CSFA
                      IAFF Alumni Member

Comment

• JJR512
                        Forum Member
                        • Sep 2010

I hope you meant experience in the making of white fire hose JJR512. I think 30 + years in the Fire Service is enough experience for anything else you might want to know.
                        Huh?

The only experience I mentioned was my own, as in none.

Oh, did you think I was referring to you when I asked for someone with more experience? Sorry, no, I was talking about myself: "As I said, I have no idea myself, and this is a question I am asking in the hope that maybe mikeyboy or someone with more experience can speak to." Sorry if I caused any confusion.

What I meant is that reflective fabric loses reflectivity much quicker than the fabric itself wears out, at least the reflective fabrics I'm familiar with (like 3M Scotchlite). Plus there's the natural discoloration that occurs to hoses over time, just like with turnout gear, even if turnout gear is washed, after awhile it still looks permanently dirty. So what I was saying was first admitting that I really have no experience to know how long this hose you showed a picture of will actually stay that reflective, and then I was asking if someone who has more experience with that hose than me and speak more about it, specifically about how long it stays reflective like in the photo.

So what can you say about that?

Comment

• mikeyboy
                          MembersZone Subscriber
                          • Mar 2006

Hi Combat Hose

There is a picture of the Hi-Combat Hose I was typing about at:
                          https://www.kidde-fire.com/utcfs/Tem...%3D465,00.html.

The white part that has the orange lettering has a reflectivity to it that lights up when a light is put to it in a dark atmosphere.
                          "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Comment

• firemedic_mann
                            Forum Member
                            • Dec 2010

A little off-topic, but...

(*Hey. New guy to firehouse forums here. Haven't yet figured out how to start a new thread.)

...still related to the use of fire hose for firefighter self-rescue.

I have been thinking recently about a possible application of traditional, prussic-based rope ascension technique in the event of a floor collapse landing a ff in the basement. What-if, assuming the charged line follows the ff into the basement, the ff tied two prussic-hitches using rescue webbing around the hose, one for a foot-loop, the other to be attatched to the ff's rescue or SCBA harness. Wouldn't this be an effective method for an uninjured ff to self-rescue from the basement. I have not been able to find any eveidence of this method being used. I'm sure it would need some fine tuning, but I think it could work. Thoughts?

Comment

• FIREguy2011
                              Forum Member
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by firemedic_mann
                              (*Hey. New guy to firehouse forums here. Haven't yet figured out how to start a new thread.)
                              here ya go
                              Attached Files
                              Benton Fire District Four
                              Ladder One
                              First Due!

Caddo Parish Fire District 1
                              Career Firefighter/Paramedic

When things get rough, just say:
                              Acabo de perder cinco minutos de su vida.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...