Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Battery powered "Flares" and pop-up cones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery powered "Flares" and pop-up cones?

There are a lot of different battery "flares" out there. I was wondering how many folks use them and what type they use. What would you do different and what do you like/dislike about them?
    I like the idea of a reusable unit over the standard flare simply because it would be less money and easier to use in many cases.

Also how about the pop-up style cones. I like the idea of having the ability to carry more cones in less space but if you use them how are they holding up? Problems?
    I like the idea of lighted ones simply because they almost have to be more visible than the standard cones.

We have two sets of six PowerFlares in each of our crash trucks. They have come into great use as they are rechargable, compact, and we don't have to carry the flamable traditional flares around.

They are useful by themself or you have put them under a cone at night to light up the cone as well. They have several different light patterns and are very bright.

The pop up cones didn't seem to be durrable enough for our liking within the department and the constant change of batteries turned us off as well.

I'll be honest, I haven't found anything wrong with them.

http://www.powerflare.coml

Mickey
    Last edited by scootr2200; 05-24-2010, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by scootr2200 View Post
      We have two sets of six PowerFlares in each of our crash trucks. They have come into great use as they are rechargable, compact, and we don't have to carry the flamable traditional flares around.

They are useful by themself or you have put them under a cone at night to light up the cone as well. They have several different light patterns and are very bright.

The pop up cones didn't seem to be durrable enough for our liking within the department and the constant change of batteries turned us off as well.

I'll be honest, I haven't found anything wrong with them.

http://www.powerflare.coml

Mickey
      I personally use the powerflares almost every day and they are extremely effective and reliable.

Comment

I have four FlareAlerts for personal use and they work great.

Comment

We use the pop-up cones and we like them a lot. They hold up OK to everything but actually getting run over by a vehicle (which can happen, of course...we had a deputy run over one the other day but it still works, just cracked around the base). I find the batteries are holding up alright as well as long as you remember to turn them off when putting them away. We've been using them for a few months now and we're getting much better at setting up our accident scenes now that we're in the habit of using them.
          Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
          Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
          Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
          — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Comment

My department bought some of pop-up cones from Galls, they are great storage wise since the truck is packed full of stuff, the lights in them really doesn't do much though. Overall I'll say they are a pretty good investment.

Stay safe out there
            Last edited by JakeT59; 09-07-2011, 05:10 PM.

Comment

I 2nd (or 3rd I should say) the powerflares.

We just got some for all our apparatus and they seem pretty effective. I haven't had a chance to use them yet, but just playing around with them at the station they seem plenty bright, have lots of light patterns and are durable enough to take getting run over. I could see these working well to square off a LZ for flight too because they are visible from the sides and top. Nice product.

We also got a set of lightup popup cones too, but I wasn't really impressed. They worked fine, but just didn't seem very bright nor do I see them holding up over time.
              Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Comment

Around these 'parts', one could get seriously injured (or worse yet killed)...attempting to set the bloddy things out at an accident.

Just barrcade the scene with a $1 mil. quint or ladder, and hope for the best.

As they say in the military..."watch your six."
                "Take care of yourself first. Life is too short and you never know what tomorrow or for that matter...what the next few seconds is going to bring."

Comment

I have a pile of the turbo flares, and while they are spiffy, work ok, etc, I would not pay the asking price for them.

I got mine when Sams Club was clearancing them out at 8 bucks a card of 4 or 6....

Comment

Powerflares work great, right untill it snows. They don't produce any heat so they are quickly covered by snow in a storm or from snow kicked up by passing vehicles and are worthless. If it never snowed up here, they would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by WD6956 View Post
                      Powerflares work great, right untill it snows. They don't produce any heat so they are quickly covered by snow in a storm or from snow kicked up by passing vehicles and are worthless. If it never snowed up here, they would be great.
                      Being from southern Missouri, you are going to have explain this snow concept to me....

Comment

Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post
                        Being from southern Missouri, you are going to have explain this snow concept to me....
                        HA!. You are not missing much...

Comment

I will have to admit, I used to live in Fitchburg years ago, so while I do remember what snow was, I just don't remember that much about it... LOL

Comment

If the pop up cones don't have the two white reflective bands and are a minimum of 18 inches tall, they are not legal in California. Check your local state transportation department's standards to see what your state's requirements are.
                            everyonegoeshome.com

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X