Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Question about cone use of accident scenes.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picture shows a light tanker fitted out with a raiseable curtain, text says "accident". It is placed upstreams and stays there, acts as a crash buffer. The two xenon strobes at the top of the curtain are pretty good at catching the attention of drivers, so rather that being a crash buffer, it's practically just an advance warning. With minor modifications, the tanker has become a good traffic incident tool.

http://www.utryckning.com/orebro/fot...er/31314dl.jpg

Furthermore, I must admire the German authorities on the german highway, the "Autobahn" with no speed limits, especially along A2, the deadliest road in Germany. They cut all traffic on the road until everything can be done safely, responders might have to drive "the wrong way" trough traffic.

Comment

My department utilizes traffic cones (upstream, thru and downstream) and a minimum of 3 apparatus spaced approxomatly 350-500 feet apart with directional arrow sticks on the trucks. All apparatus in our deparment carries a few traffic cones on it for this purpose. The only other real differance between your sketch and our SOP is that we position the "blocker unit" which is usually the Rescue/Extrication truck immediately upstream of the accident and the area downstream is reserved for incomming ambulances. Once the traffic control devices are in place all personnel are to work and/or stage to the off-traffic side of apparatus. The local and state police have worked great with us and when arriving on scene tuck in to the off-traffic side of the blocker unit. I also work for the Department of Tranportation and our department adopted and adapted this from the FHWA--Work Area Protection Manual and have had great sucess with it. Stay Safe...
      William C. Allison II
      Fire Captain
      Tazewell County Fire-Rescue

Comment

We run a light rescue and a medium rescue on all MVA's unless it is a road with 60 MPH speed limit or greater, then an engine also responds to be a traffic cone.

We drop cones on every call unless we pull up and it's off the road and we can get in a driveway.

Comment

Cones are a traffic channeling devise. A fire truck parked along the road is not.
          I know it sound stupid but that is the fact.

Driver can get out of the ticket saying the firetruck was not directing anything
          and was just there.

With cones, they are nationally recognizable as a safety devise or barrier. Hold more water than just a truck.

You should also be using signage. ROAD CLOSED- EMERGENCY SCENE AHEAD. This will allow motorists to slow down and reduce your chance of a secondary incident.

Comment

firedude01

as a volly and also work for pa dot. the signs should be set up first at the distance specifyed for the road you are on most major 65 mph highways the signs should be a mile from the scene and at least 2 the first should be an accident ahead sign( or emergency ahead ) then a sign for right or left lane closed then about 500 feet before the scene the cones should start i put them out starting with the one closest to the out side of the lane closed then they should be 50 feet apart and tapered to the center line then a cone evey 100 feet down the center line to 100 feet past the last vehicle in the caned area and another taper back toward the outer lane thats about 100 feet long our dot has anaccident trailer set up to go and set this up if the dept involved calls for them . i can find out any of the distabces for sure if any one needs them or they can be found in what we use is pub. 213 it has all the different set ups for traffic control thanks

Comment

The Big Picture

Two comments please.

I love the above thread. We need to stop thinking like a fire department and start thinking like a road crew. You have all been by construction crews. they do not have 6 million flashing lights and a 80000ib block to protect workers. they properly inform drivers in advance so they can take the appropirate messures in responding to what you are asking. We have all driven past someone elses accident, and sometimes as a surpise when we have come around a blind corner. I always feel horible that i am still doing 50mph, but they did not give me time to slow. I have been doing this for 15years so yes i understand the inherent difficulties there are in setting a scene up like the road crews but that does not mean we should not be striving for this.

my second comment is related to a previous thread also. Have any of your departments opened up discussion with ALL your area first responders? I am a Paramedic with one service and a FF paramedic in another district. It was my iniative in the district where i live to involve local Fire, police, tow operators and even the national park rangers into a training seminar. We are all on the road sharing the difficulties. How do you expect everyone to understand the issues if you dont share. It is not a fire department thing. infact my EMS agency was the one who showed the local Fire Departments a thing or two about highway safety. We now all work together to ensure the job gets done right. (that is why you need cones and a termination area so police, ems and other non-block fire apperatus have a designated staging area.)

Thanks for the imput.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X