Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Flagging Handbook

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    i really dont give a flying duck if you get to work on time. i plan on going home the next morning. i would gladly park the ladder across all 4 lanes to protect me and my crew. my safety isn't worth it. if it means the next big purchase gets voted down oh well. got a problem with that. huh mr i'm in my honda accord don't mess with me or i'll spill my starbucks crappachino on you with the hand that isn't hollding my cell phone, beer, shaver, makeup, cigarette, whatever else draws my concentration form the road. blub
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by mcfd45
      i really dont give a flying duck if you get to work on time. i plan on going home the next morning. i would gladly park the ladder across all 4 lanes to protect me and my crew. my safety isn't worth it. if it means the next big purchase gets voted down oh well. got a problem with that. huh mr i'm in my honda accord don't mess with me or i'll spill my starbucks crappachino on you with the hand that isn't hollding my cell phone, beer, shaver, makeup, cigarette, whatever else draws my concentration form the road. blub
      Too much coffee??????????????????????
      Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

      Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

      ** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

      Comment


      • #18
        nope mountain dew.
        i can't stand coffee.
        It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

        Comment


        • #19
          Handling traffic

          Recently, we had a pedestrian fatality at night and our dept was put in a position of where we were it as far as traffic control was concerned. With only 2 officers on duty, we had little choice but to handle traffic. Even though we closed the highly travelled 2 lane roadway, motorists attempted to go around the engine by going through parking lots only to find the road
          blocked at the scene. We shut the road down in a location where drivers could easily turn around but they made it more difficult then it needed to be.

          I don't like to handle traffic, I don't feel we are prepared for it like the PD is or should be.

          I feel more confident in a burning structure than I am with some &*^*$ head
          pointing a 3000# vehicle at me.

          Am I the only one that feels this way?

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by FF1005
            I don't like to handle traffic, I don't feel we are prepared for it like the PD is or should be.

            I feel more confident in a burning structure than I am with some &*^*$ head
            pointing a 3000# vehicle at me.

            Am I the only one that feels this way?
            Don't take this wrong, but how much traffic control training have you had? The reason I ask is just an observation from department's I've taught traffic control to. We're trained day and night to handle structure fires, extrication, etc. But, how often are we in the road compared to fighting a structure fire (which also requires some traffic control). Training, training, training.

            Most of those I've taught traffic control to say it helped out a lot. The guys at my FT department made fun of those big, pink "Emergency Scene Ahead" signs until they saw them in action, then it's "man, you weren't kidding, those things actually work!"

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Catch22
              Don't take this wrong, but how much traffic control training have you had? The reason I ask is just an observation from department's I've taught traffic control to. We're trained day and night to handle structure fires, extrication, etc. But, how often are we in the road compared to fighting a structure fire (which also requires some traffic control). Training, training, training.

              Most of those I've taught traffic control to say it helped out a lot. The guys at my FT department made fun of those big, pink "Emergency Scene Ahead" signs until they saw them in action, then it's "man, you weren't kidding, those things actually work!"
              I agree those signs do a good job.Most traffic reduces speed and traffic flows smooth.
              Last edited by coldfront; 11-05-2006, 08:14 PM.
              Always a day late and a dollar short!

              Hillbilly Irish!

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Catch22 View Post
                .

                Most of those I've taught traffic control to say it helped out a lot. The guys at my FT department made fun of those big, pink "Emergency Scene Ahead" signs until they saw them in action, then it's "man, you weren't kidding, those things actually work!"

                The signs are a good idea. Is this a standard for most fire departments around the country? In my area signs are not used...yet. So how far in advance of the accident scene do you set your sign?

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Pete50 View Post
                  The signs are a good idea. Is this a standard for most fire departments around the country? In my area signs are not used...yet. So how far in advance of the accident scene do you set your sign?
                  I guess you could call it the standard, as the MUTCD requires warning signs. Placement kind of depends. I usually have my guys use 1/2 mile as a rule of thumb. It all depends on the road and how the curves, hills, etc. are laid out.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Catch22 View Post
                    I guess you could call it the standard, as the MUTCD requires warning signs. Placement kind of depends. I usually have my guys use 1/2 mile as a rule of thumb. It all depends on the road and how the curves, hills, etc. are laid out.

                    Thanks for your reply Catch22. The material that I have for TCP courses is geared up for construction sites etc. This is okay as most of it would apply to anyone that has to control traffic through a work site or around an accident scene.
                    My material goes over proper work zone signs, spacing etc. but this obviously would not apply to an emergency scene.
                    I really like the idea of a "emergency scene ahead" sign and will mention this in upcoming courses. Thanks again.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      I was doing traffic control when I was an Explorer at age 16.

                      Lets face it, not every town and city is the same. There are some where the FD won't touch traffic control and there are an abundance of police officers or other agencies to handle it. There are places where the FD will regularly do traffic control. We do it regularly and have no problem doing it.
                      Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by nmfire View Post
                        I was doing traffic control when I was an Explorer at age 16.

                        Lets face it, not every town and city is the same. There are some where the FD won't touch traffic control and there are an abundance of police officers or other agencies to handle it. There are places where the FD will regularly do traffic control. We do it regularly and have no problem doing it.
                        In my little part of the world the fire departments have been doing the traffic control for some time, as there is no abundance of police officers here. Sometimes DOT will help them out just depending on the circumstances etc.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Pete, if you'll drop me an email or PM (since I can't you until you're not a guest anymore) I'll send you some stuff you might be interested in and might help you out.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Catch22 View Post
                            Pete, if you'll drop me an email or PM (since I can't you until you're not a guest anymore) I'll send you some stuff you might be interested in and might help you out.
                            Thanks, I sent you an e-mail, not sure if you received it or not.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              firedude01

                              i would feel alot more secure knowing that our own people are out there watching our backs if pd has enough manpower and they can fine but our own people should be doing the traffic control. also if i was the ic i can be in communication with them also

                              Comment

                              300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                              Collapse

                              Upper 300x250

                              Collapse

                              Taboola

                              Collapse

                              Leader

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X