Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Playing in Traffic

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bcjack
    replied
    Originally posted by PFVFRWFD1 View Post
    Why do people call when somthing almost hits you a near miss? It's a NEAR HIT!!!!!

They did nearly miss you they NEARLY HIT YOU!!!
    If they nearly miss you...THEY DID HIT YOU!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• KanFireman
    replied
    I know this post is been inactive for a few months, but if a scenario like the last poster's happened in my neck of the woods. There would be stop sticks and use of lethal force involved.

A couple years ago after a highway worker way stuck, the driver fled and avoided the first set of stop sticks. Highway patrol received authorization to use deadly force, if she made it past the next barricade. One of the officers got lucky with his sticks, and she's doing serious time for her crimes. If he hadn't gotten lucky, neither would she.

There are two things that highway patrol will not tolerate around here. Those are motorists endangering the lives of emergency/highway personnel and telling them no after they've told you to do something.

Leave a comment:

• Sleuth
    replied
    Several years ago we had a brush fire, with smoke across the road. A (female) driver drove around a DPS unit on the dirt, even after the officer yelled at her to stop. She later was pulled over by another DPS unit and when the officer told her to stop, she said no and drove on.

Her occupation?

Heart Surgeon.

Her excuse?

She might be needed at the hospital (where she did not have privileges to work) to treat someone.

Yeah, someone she hit perhaps!

Leave a comment:

• 1nvestigations
    replied
    I have seen our Fire Police wear bright slime green jumpsuits out on a corner @ 3:00 AM and a driver say's "I did not see you".

I did not see you there.
    yes you did, you drove onto on coming traffic to get around me

I thought you wanted me to go around you
    Let me see if I understand you. You drive around a vehicle parked in the middle of the street with lights on it cause you think it was there for no other purpose other than for people to go around?

Did you not see my police car blocking the street?
    yes
    Why did you go around it?
    I don't know what that means, I did not go to the police academy?

Leave a comment:

• DeathValleyCap
    replied
    We consider playing in traffic worse than conducting an interior attack...you don't know what will suddenly come at you.
    I have no qualms about closing the roadway...and the Highway Patrol will show up quicker when you tell their dispatch "we have closed the roadway". The safety of my crew is always number one, if their late for work, sorry about that but safety is paramount. And we will work to open the road as soon as we can.

Leave a comment:

• nmfire
    replied
    You might want to understand the regulations before you bad mouth them. There is NO requirement for you to use yellow lights on apparatus. There never has been. The only requirement is that the lights be red, blue, green, or yellow (not clear) and meet a certain candlepower. The only reason you see yellow is because you get more candlepower out of a yellow light than you do out of a red light. So you can meet the candlepower requirement with two yellow lights rather than paying for four red lights. Its cheaper.

I have never seen a contruction or highway maintanence vehicle with red/white or red/orange chevrons. Maybe yellow and black on a crash attenuator but thats it.

Leave a comment:

• MarionMedic
    replied
    Originally posted by PFVFRWFD1 View Post
    Why do people call when somthing almost hits you a near miss? It's a NEAR HIT!!!!!

Illiteracy.

Dumb ***es trying to act smarter than they are.

If you'll notice, there's a LOT of the "desk types" laying in bed at night beside their wives with nothing better to do than dream up another "safety reg" to slap us with.

I actually like, and have used, the "VEST" thing for a few years now.

But those stupid yellow lights on the back of my truck that make me look like a highway worker instead of a fire truck....
    And those ugly "chevron" stripes that ALSO make our Emergency vehicle look like a highway department work truck....
    And now someone wants to prevent laws that would hold inattentive drivers accountable for their actions???

There's a LOT of ignorance in this world.
    And it has infected our services as well.
    I'm sure of it now.

Leave a comment:

• arff17
    replied
    New Product

These signs are kind of pricy. If they work half as well as they say, it might be worth it.
    http://daguayo.com/TRaffic.html

Leave a comment:

• PFVFRWFD1
    replied
    Near Miss

Leave a comment:

• djgilbert32
    replied
    Couple things I've learned over the years on traffic detali, never turn your back on traffic and when something hard smacks the drivers windsheild it usually gets their attention, went thru a few flashlights by bouncing them off the glass.

Leave a comment:

• fireman606
    replied
    It is true, people are idiots... Cell phones, only make it worse...

People don't seem to realize what flashing lights, directional arrows, cones, flares, flagmen, etc are. Yeah, the move over law is great, but it is physically impossible to ticket all of the people who don't yield to emergency vehicles. I would be willing to say that maybe only 1 in 5 people actually follow the rule. Everyone else is in too much of a hurry and don't care if they end up taking someone out. For example, on 4 of our last 5 highway calls, we have had cars passing us and then cut back over right after they get around us. I think that instead of ticketing people that they do actually catch, they should make those people go out and try to direct traffic at an accident or a fire and see how big of a risk they are putting on emergency personel. Maybe dodging cars is what it will take to get through to people!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• CaptainMikey
    replied
    They even threaten to run you over when you dont let them down their own street.

I even head of someone running over a flagman for a construction company because he was late for work. The cool thing is that the guy got a pickaxe through the hood and lost his lawsuit because the workers were protecting the public from a wreckless endangerment.

Or the one who flips you off because they are going slow, or the one who blows a red light and then gets beligerent because they are so rich and important. Or the person who parks infront of a hydrant and get mad because their vehicle was towed. Or the person who parks on the RAMP infront of the BIG red truck trying to leave on an emergency (true story). I just wish that the people who works in the courts would stop letting people just pay their way out of stuff.

It really makes me want to punch the mayor of where i live when I see someone get a ticket for speeding 22over and they pay their way out of it, or the person who gets their 5th ticket and still pays their way out of it.

The worst thing I ever heard of was when someone crashed through a funneral procession, and then started a fight because he thought that he had the right of way. WRONG, he got the living crap beaten out of him, and the people were aquitted on self defense.

Leave a comment:

• jkarnes
    replied
    I know this thread is a few months old but it has some good points.

Can't emphasize enough to shut down the entire roadway with the big red trucks. When you first arrive at the scene there is NO control, only chaos. By shutting down the roadway even if you don't need to at first, you get your firefighters off the truck and the officer can get a better idea of whats going on and what traffic (if any) you want to let through.

The other thing to consider is when you are on a busy roadway is to have a person dedicated to watching traffic and making sure people are behaving. Granted you might not have enough people to do this and in that case then nothing beats closing the roadway.

Leave a comment:

• Safety33
    replied
    Being a victim of a vehicle strike at an accident scene, even though the lanes might be shut down that you are operating in, be alert.

When I was struck, we had the entire stretch of the road shut down, but the guy who hit me was on drugs and found a way around everything. Fluke incident, probably, but everyone probably knows how people drive in their local. There is always one person who tries to beat the system, whether it they are doped up, too aggressive, stupid, whatever.

If possible, place your extra apparatus in both lanes in both directions and make sure the shoulder (if there is one) is blocked. This is only way you can keep everyone safe. Hopefully, the local authority allows it. I know for a fact that the Penn. State Police try to keep at least one lane open, but they will shut it down when required.

Stay safe out there.

Leave a comment:

• S8ER95Z
    replied
    Should use the train principle. They block the entire roadway and your only means around is to back travel and take a different route. If you are late to work..you say 'caught by a train' around here it happens frequently.

Just shut down the road on both sides..just block it off and make them wait.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X