Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Playing in Traffic

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing in Traffic

When on traffic detail I've noticed a lot of people don't even act like there's a big fire truck on the highway and they should slow down when they near it for safety.
    In Kentucky,the police and Sheriff's can ticket a driver who doesn't slow down or passes an emergency vehicle responding but they have to be notified or see it themselves.
    Even wearing reflective vests,turnout gear with reflectors and carrying a traffic wand and staying inside the traffic cones is not a guarantee that you won't have a near miss.
    This past Monday,we had a vehicle fire and I was thinking that I know how the arresting gear guy on an aircraft carrier who unhook the just landed plane from the cable must feel when a plane whizzes by his/her head.

If there is one thing Ive learned from 22 years on the job its that the world is full of idiots.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Comment

that is ALMOST on the verge of a power duh post.
      IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
      Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
      ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
      RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
      LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
      I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
      "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
      http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

While I will agree this borders on being the obvious I will bite....

Not only do they not slow down, the usually speed up because they were stuck stopped in traffic for so long and on top of that they are usually looking right at you vs. the road ahead of them!

Comment

Yep. Always been that way. Always will be that way. The only thing you can do is make yourself as conspicuous as possible and setup the apparatus blocking road carefully to not cause glare and blindness. Then, be ready to make a fast exit stage left.
          Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

We tell our people to presume that every car they see will try to run them over! Keeps them awake.

Comment

Dodge ,Duck and Dodge!

I apply the three secrets to dodgeball when working highway incident emergencies.

They are Dodge ,Duck and Dodge.The game sucks however when the other teams wins.

Dodge :To evade by a sudden shift in place.

Duck :Water fowel as in a sitting DUCK OR DUCK shoot!
              Always a day late and a dollar short!

Hillbilly Irish!

Comment

It has gotten so bad out there that I wouldn't second guess blocking the WHOLE road for safety. It really is a matter of life and death, not only for any possible victim's but also for us emergency responders. Saving lives should come before convenience of moving traffic. Law enforcement needs to play a larger role in traffic control on theses scenes. In my area, the squad cars are usually parked in our way and the officers just stand there watching us. They need to be directing and rerouting traffic so we have a safe scene to work in which in turn will enable us to get the job done quicker so we can clear the scene and reopen the road quicker. Just my opinion.

Comment

Ems

Working municipal EMS is, I think, the worst. There I was with ine other medic trying to extract a patient with probable broken femur from a MVA on a two lane highway in the fog at daybreak. I asked the attending officer to block traffic while we drew the patient out. He said, 'You'd better hurry'. As I looked up to see what he meant, I realized that I could barely see him at 15 feet. What was a vehicle (18 wheeler) travelling 60mph going to see? That will raise the hairs on the back of your neck.
                  Live long and watch out for that other guy!

Comment

Should use the train principle. They block the entire roadway and your only means around is to back travel and take a different route. If you are late to work..you say 'caught by a train' around here it happens frequently.

Just shut down the road on both sides..just block it off and make them wait.

Comment

Being a victim of a vehicle strike at an accident scene, even though the lanes might be shut down that you are operating in, be alert.

When I was struck, we had the entire stretch of the road shut down, but the guy who hit me was on drugs and found a way around everything. Fluke incident, probably, but everyone probably knows how people drive in their local. There is always one person who tries to beat the system, whether it they are doped up, too aggressive, stupid, whatever.

If possible, place your extra apparatus in both lanes in both directions and make sure the shoulder (if there is one) is blocked. This is only way you can keep everyone safe. Hopefully, the local authority allows it. I know for a fact that the Penn. State Police try to keep at least one lane open, but they will shut it down when required.

Stay safe out there.

Comment

I know this thread is a few months old but it has some good points.

Can't emphasize enough to shut down the entire roadway with the big red trucks. When you first arrive at the scene there is NO control, only chaos. By shutting down the roadway even if you don't need to at first, you get your firefighters off the truck and the officer can get a better idea of whats going on and what traffic (if any) you want to let through.

The other thing to consider is when you are on a busy roadway is to have a person dedicated to watching traffic and making sure people are behaving. Granted you might not have enough people to do this and in that case then nothing beats closing the roadway.

Comment

They even threaten to run you over when you dont let them down their own street.

I even head of someone running over a flagman for a construction company because he was late for work. The cool thing is that the guy got a pickaxe through the hood and lost his lawsuit because the workers were protecting the public from a wreckless endangerment.

Or the one who flips you off because they are going slow, or the one who blows a red light and then gets beligerent because they are so rich and important. Or the person who parks infront of a hydrant and get mad because their vehicle was towed. Or the person who parks on the RAMP infront of the BIG red truck trying to leave on an emergency (true story). I just wish that the people who works in the courts would stop letting people just pay their way out of stuff.

It really makes me want to punch the mayor of where i live when I see someone get a ticket for speeding 22over and they pay their way out of it, or the person who gets their 5th ticket and still pays their way out of it.

The worst thing I ever heard of was when someone crashed through a funneral procession, and then started a fight because he thought that he had the right of way. WRONG, he got the living crap beaten out of him, and the people were aquitted on self defense.
                          FF I
                          FF II
                          Hazmat Operations
                          EMT-B
                          ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Comment

It is true, people are idiots... Cell phones, only make it worse...

People don't seem to realize what flashing lights, directional arrows, cones, flares, flagmen, etc are. Yeah, the move over law is great, but it is physically impossible to ticket all of the people who don't yield to emergency vehicles. I would be willing to say that maybe only 1 in 5 people actually follow the rule. Everyone else is in too much of a hurry and don't care if they end up taking someone out. For example, on 4 of our last 5 highway calls, we have had cars passing us and then cut back over right after they get around us. I think that instead of ticketing people that they do actually catch, they should make those people go out and try to direct traffic at an accident or a fire and see how big of a risk they are putting on emergency personel. Maybe dodging cars is what it will take to get through to people!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Couple things I've learned over the years on traffic detali, never turn your back on traffic and when something hard smacks the drivers windsheild it usually gets their attention, went thru a few flashlights by bouncing them off the glass.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X