Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Proper FD behavior?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DropTank View Post
    Because Dashman, when firefighters do something stupid and irresponsible, it makes ALL firefighters look bad in the public's eye! That is just how it works! Hence my posting this link to encourage other members NOT to do stupid crap like this!

THANK you DROP TANK......

This quote is a golden jem here in these forums.......this could / should be applied over the whole forum........

Funny, how it all fits together...IRONICALLY, on a daily basis, there is about 650 or more "guests" and unregistered viewers on the forum.........certainly alot more than the registered member users....talk about " in the public Eye"

Comment

Originally posted by DropTank View Post
      Because Dashman, when firefighters do something stupid and irresponsible, it makes ALL firefighters look bad in the public's eye! That is just how it works! Hence my posting this link to encourage other members NOT to do stupid crap like this!
      However, when the fire millage came up for renewal, the results were resoundingly in favor because the fire department cares enough to do things for its citizens (besides put out their fires).

I'd bet that if that video showed up on the local TV news, more people said "how cool is that?" than complained "what a terrific waste of fire department resources - what if my house was on fire?"
      Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

I understand Bone's point. But this looks a little scary.

Steep hill, deck gun on straight stream...

Got me scratching my head a bit.
        I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

We put companies out of service regularly to perform community service. Like others have said, not enough info to make a judgement. If I had to guess; a slip-n-slide that long isn't a spontaneous event, probably a community event. The engine was probably sent there to perform this service. A contingency plan was probably in place to account for the absence of the engine. As for the straight stream of the deck gun; I didn't hear the pump screaming, so it's probably not a lot of pressure. I'd like to think that the operator knows how much pressure is too much and is dangerous. Let's not assume these guys are idiots, and have just happened upon this and decided to join the party.

I really don't think this is the kind of thing anyone should get their undies in a bundle over.

Comment

Originally posted by The52nd View Post
            I really don't think this is the kind of thing anyone should get their undies in a bundle over.
            Well, everyone has a different risk threshold they are willing to assume.

Generally, I ask myself if the activity in question is worth it.... does it serve some special need....

I just don't see how there is really any benefit to the FD and there is some risk.
            I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefKN View Post
              Well, everyone has a different risk threshold they are willing to assume.

Generally, I ask myself if the activity in question is worth it.... does it serve some special need....

I just don't see how there is really any benefit to the FD and there is some risk.
              I understand your position, chief. I don't make these kinds of decisions, but I have been at these type of events. I guesss maybe because I'm not sitting in a buggy, or an office some where I get to see first hand the benefit of positive interaction between the public and the fire service. Especially with inner city kids. (not the case here)

As for risk; it's pretty much inherit in everything. What is needed is an honest assessment of risk. I haven't heard of too many catastrophic slip-n-slide accidents. Bumps and bruises, knees skinned on the grass, yes.

But it's all just a matter of opinions, which is why I stated mine.

Comment

Originally posted by The52nd View Post
                I understand your position, chief. I don't make these kinds of decisions, but I have been at these type of events. I guesss maybe because I'm not sitting in a buggy, or an office some where I get to see first hand the benefit of positive interaction between the public and the fire service. Especially with inner city kids. (not the case here)

As for risk; it's pretty much inherit in everything. What is needed is an honest assessment of risk. I haven't heard of too many catastrophic slip-n-slide accidents. Bumps and bruises, knees skinned on the grass, yes.

But it's all just a matter of opinions, which is why I stated mine.
                I'd say that hill looks big enough for someone to break their neck. They have two big rocks at the top holding the plastic down. Not a real professional set up if you ask me, which leads me to think it wasn't well thought out either. I'd say deck gun+people=no go. Maybe with a little better planning and set up, and a hand line it might not be so bad.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X