No announcement yet.

Traffic vests or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since this has been resurrected I'll put mine in. We are required to wear them at all MVA or when on a roadway. I keep a high viz coat for winter months also. The only way around it is to be in full turnouts. I won't say I always wear mine, if I'm first on the scene I won't put mine on unless I have to direct traffic when a higher medic response takes over....if they do. Otherwise I will put the vest on or the coat. I try not to wear turnouts unless needed. I have noticed that the officers don't wear them, although they're supposed to.
    As far as whether they help or not, I honestly don't think so, if you miss seeing 3 or more vehicles with lights all over them painted bright red then you won't see a vest. They do help at night to an extent but that's more for seeing exactly where someone is while moving to direct traffic.

Comment

Here in Rhode Island, we're required to wear the vests over our gear, if gear is necessary, on Federal and State roads for our department insurance. We cover a lot of interstate highway and other busy state roads, so it's become a bit of a force of habit for us. While the big red trucks and flashy lights should typically get a drivers attention, Rhode Islanders get very nosy around accidents and tend to not pay attention to anything at all.

Comment

When i was Chief, i mandated it at all MVAs and anytime we were in traffic. I think it adds to our safety when working around traffic. It doesn't hurt or hinder anybody.
        BE ALERT AND STAY ALIVE
        Fire Fighter/Driver
        TLVFD, NY

Comment

As was already said, if the big red truck and lights of multiple units doesn't get their attention, the vest dang sure isn't. General policy for us is if we're packaging patients, we're shutting down the road, in which case, wear whatever suits the need (Extrication, Fire suppression, etc) Otherwise, if you're working traffic, you wear the vest and have the traffic wands and even still, DO NOT turn your back on traffic. Everyone else, wear what you want but watch for the other guys and do not turn your back to traffic.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X