Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Traffic vests or not?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by emt161 View Post
    W did the job long before SCBAs were out. Were those the good ol' days too?

If you're going to suggest that the striping on fire-grimed turnout gear is the same striping as a vest that lives in the cab of a truck, there's really no point in debating the issue- you're just clueless.

It's also not the fact that there IS striping, it's how that striping is arranged. The Class II vests are specifically designed to create the impression of a human form when nothing else is visible except the stripes. Your turnout gear stripes won't do it- assuming they're not covered in soot to begin with.

His department was probably doing more to protect the members than you might have ever heard of. They had large traffic direction lights on apparatus that ran the major highway(s) in the area which they service, that would be Interstate 95 and what is known as the mixing bowl in his area, that is Interstate 95, Interstate 395 and Interstate 495 and everyone is running late at any time of the day.

Even now they have widen those roads and changed some patterns, there still is more traffic running through that area any day of the week than on any other Interstate in this country.

The Chief back then was Warren Isman a very pro active Chief in firefighter safety and well as apparatus development. They ran E-One Hush's long before other departments had them, to get that engine noise away from the crew area!

Any time I am going to Baltimore or north of there, I cut off I-95 and hit US 301 until I get to I-695 in Baltimore, to avoid that backup. Rush hours begin at 4 AM and goes to 10 PM every day and traffic can be backed up for miles on miles.

As he said we used what we had before the vest came out, because there wasn't any back in the earlier days of some of us.

By the way, we had SCBA's back in the 1950's!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

The more I think about it, the more I think the vests are pretty much useless if you already have turnout gear or a EMS jacket, except when we do the Fill the Boot for MDA. Any other time, The street or road is either shut down or the area I'm working in should be blocked off. I see so many reports of idiots just plowing into trucks and emergency scenes. A vest isn't going to do jack to stop an idiot or drunk driver that can't see a truck lit up like a Christmas tree. I figure if I get hit it will be because of an idiot or because I'm somewhere I shouldn't be. I'd rather the money for vests be spent on bazooka's and we could post a lookout for idiots. Just sayin'

Comment

Right now, in the back of my SUV is my turn-out gear. On my jacket is a DOT approved vest. Since 90% of my runs are medical/MVA, I just keep my vest on my jacket. That way as soon as I put on my gear, the vest is on and ready to go. I don't see it as something that helps on road situations only. When backing a medic unit into a driveway, it helps the driver see me. When sitting in middle of a dark field with a ATV rider that is down, it helps others locate me & the downed rider.

Field fires, I wear SCBA & vest. If I'm working a portion of the field, I want the BRT to see me as it comes around the smoke.

Now, when we get the occasional structure fire, since our vests are velcro/quick remove, I can just rip it off before donning my SCBA.

I do realize that a vest isn't a cure-all, prevent all. It is another tool to be used appropriately. My feeling on the vest can be summed up by this: If it even increases my safety by 1%, I'm wearing it.

Comment

Originally posted by jkoby View Post

Field fires, I wear SCBA & vest.
          Not to get off-topic and not to judge, but you wear your SCBA for field fires? Havent heard of that before, but we may be talking about different types of fields. When I think of fields I imagine an open space with vegetation 1 foot to 3 feet where fire spreads quickly. Is that the same for you? We dont wear SCBA and most of the time dont wear structural gear for those fires.

As I said, not judging, just interested in the how different departments do things differently.

Comment

Originally posted by Spencer534 View Post
            Not to get off-topic and not to judge, but you wear your SCBA for field fires? Havent heard of that before, but we may be talking about different types of fields. When I think of fields I imagine an open space with vegetation 1 foot to 3 feet where fire spreads quickly. Is that the same for you? We dont wear SCBA and most of the time dont wear structural gear for those fires.

As I said, not judging, just interested in the how different departments do things differently.
            I used to not wear the SCBA on field fires. However, after hanging over the edge of our Brush Truck while manning the hose and having the smoke come up over me a few times, I started wearing the SCBA. It makes it much easier to actually spray the fire when you can see it. My eyes don't water from the smoke and I can actually breathe.

I have worn the SCBA while on the ground with a shovel as well. I'm not always on air, but if the wind changes or I get into the smoke, I'll put the mask on so I can breathe and see.

The other guys gave me a hard time at first about it as well. But then a few others tried it and agreed that it is easier to work with it on. In fact, we are trying to come up with a way to mount bottles on the truck so you just plug your regulator into the truck and not have to worry about wearing the bottle.

Comment

Originally posted by jkoby View Post
              I used to not wear the SCBA on field fires. However, after hanging over the edge of our Brush Truck while manning the hose and having the smoke come up over me a few times, I started wearing the SCBA. It makes it much easier to actually spray the fire when you can see it. My eyes don't water from the smoke and I can actually breathe....But then a few others tried it and agreed that it is easier to work with it on.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Meme - my-brain-is-full-of-****.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	1978529

Really....?
              Career Fire Captain
              Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

Originally posted by johnsb View Post
                I prefer to wear either a turnout coat or EMS style reflective jacket. I generally would only wear the vest when it's warm out and I only have my duty uniform on. I see way too many guys with the vest on during fire suppression, I don't know what that's about. Personally, I think vests are generally overkill and ineffective. Setting up proper safety zones and blocking or even shutting down a road is going to save more lives. If they hit you and you weren't wearing a vest, you were probably where you shouldn't be, or they already missed a dozen other warning signs and would've hit you anyway.
                Unfortunately, the Federal law mandating that you wear the vest kind of trumps what you "prefer" and "think".
                everyonegoeshome.com

Comment

FyredUp, you must have worked for one progressive full time department. Hope retirement is treating you great. Big B

Comment

Originally posted by hoserbt View Post
                    FyredUp, you must have worked for one progressive full time department. Hope retirement is treating you great. Big B
                    In many ways they were. I would also, say my #1 POC FD was very progressive in PPE, SCBA, and the use of vests. We had green there long before that was the new better idea!

Retirement is great. Although if I new I was going to be this busy I would have slept more my last year at work!!
                    Crazy, but that's how it goes
                    Millions of people living as foes
                    Maybe it's not too late
                    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Originally posted by bcjack View Post
                      Unfortunately, the Federal law mandating that you wear the vest kind of trumps what you "prefer" and "think".
                      Actually, the number of responders hit by vehicles even when everything is done right proves that vest don't do anything... A vest won't protect you if they won't even slow down for the big red truck with all the flashing lights... Shutting down a road is the ultimate protection.

Comment

Originally posted by johnsb View Post
                        Actually, the number of responders hit by vehicles even when everything is done right proves that vest don't do anything... A vest won't protect you if they won't even slow down for the big red truck with all the flashing lights... Shutting down a road is the ultimate protection.
                        Yeah, but how many people were NOT hit because they WERE wearing a vest? We'll never know. We can't prove a negative. If there's a possibility of saving ONE firefighter from death or serious injury, it's probably worth all of us wearing them.

I agree with the idea of closing down as much of the road as is necessary. Keeping the traffic flowing is pretty far down the priority list for me. You still don't want to be between the apparatus and the traffic, though. Let them hit the rig if they're not going to stop.

Comment

Originally posted by captnjak View Post
                          Yeah, but how many people were NOT hit because they WERE wearing a vest? We'll never know. We can't prove a negative. If there's a possibility of saving ONE firefighter from death or serious injury, it's probably worth all of us wearing them.

I agree with the idea of closing down as much of the road as is necessary. Keeping the traffic flowing is pretty far down the priority list for me. You still don't want to be between the apparatus and the traffic, though. Let them hit the rig if they're not going to stop.
                          I personally have NO faith that a vest makes a difference on an emergency scene. There's so much going on, I truly believe that they don't stand out to people. Not that I don't believe in being visible, I think any modern turnout gear or EMS type jacket does the job just fine. But then again I use vehicle placement. cones/flares, and watching traffic as my primary safety measures.

Comment

Definitely NOT a substitute for apparatus placement, flares, vigilance, etc.

I think sometimes civilians are so wrapped up in the big red trucks or the emergency itself that they just don't see the responders. The vest certainly can't hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by captnjak View Post
                              Definitely NOT a substitute for apparatus placement, flares, vigilance, etc.

I think sometimes civilians are so wrapped up in the big red trucks or the emergency itself that they just don't see the responders. The vest certainly can't hurt.
                              Yep, had some stupid woman on a cell phone pass 10 feet in front of me today on a run at an intersection.

Comment

Im a rookie so i dont do anything that could be used against me in anyway, I just follow the Dept Guidelines and just suck it up although many of the guys dont wear them in one of my Departments id say about 90% use them (paid full time) my other department uses them about 60% (paid on call), which leads into another topic which is there is definitely a double standard between Full time and volly/paid on call departments

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X