Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Traffic vests or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BKDRAFT View Post
    Sure is funny how you flip things around.
    I didn't flip anything around. You said it. And you're still a fool if you think it is that inconvenient. Maybe you don't give a crap about yourself, but I'm sure others do. I'm sure they'll feel better knowing you were comfortable and proudly protesting the vest laws when you get run over by a car and die.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

I still say its a steamy pile of shi t from Crow..

Comment

http://www.respondersafety.com/

Should have answers for all of the OP's questions...
        No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

safety20

since it is a fed. DOT law and they dp help when out on the road. the only time we don;t wear a vest is when we have bottle on or working on entrapment. all other times we wear them. it could save your life

Comment

Stop all the whining and excuse making and wear the vest. Every little bit of safety gear make it a little better for you. Remember..."Everyone Goes Home"
            everyonegoeshome.com

Comment

We are required to wear a department issued 6-point break away vest any time we are on any roadway unless wereing an SCBA.

Comment

Originally posted by bcjack View Post
                Remember..."Everyone Goes Home"

"Complacency kills" is a much better phrase.

Comment

We did this business long before vest were out. We had turnout gear, like today, that had reflective stripes on it. In fact we used the FDNY Style for years, until a newer Chief came on board and changed things.

Park the apparatus to block traffic that is approaching so that it does run into you or the operation going on.

We get very good cooperation from LEO's in Virginia.

Comment

vest

i agree if there a mva or some thing that has to do with the road firefighters should wear there reflective jacket or vest

i even got my own vest but its orange and in a few days im going out to buy a large yellow vest for my turnout gear jacket to me safety first idc what people think when they look at me
                    Explorer Lieutenant
                    2011 - 2011 - 3 days
                    Explorer President
                    2008 - 2011
                    Fire Explorer
                    2005 - 2011
                    Volunteer Firefighter
                    March 7th -?????

Comment

In my department....county we have to wear the bright yellow vests. Fire, EMS, and PD are required to wear them but we dont always. Its really just a pain in the *** because my department has bright yellow trucks and we always block off the whole road or if the highway block off all lanes but 1
                      Last edited by Harris543; 02-24-2011, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BKDRAFT View Post
                        Sure is funny how you flip things around.

That was the original argument of emt161. I was told benefits will be denied to me if I was killed on a highway without a vest.

Show me an incident where that has happened or something similarly has happened.
                        Yep, that's exactly the attitude the fire service should adopt.

"It hasn't happened yet, therefore it won't."

Comment

Originally posted by Jonnee View Post
                          We did this business long before vest were out.
                          W did the job long before SCBAs were out. Were those the good ol' days too?

We had turnout gear, like today, that had reflective stripes on it.
                          If you're going to suggest that the striping on fire-grimed turnout gear is the same striping as a vest that lives in the cab of a truck, there's really no point in debating the issue- you're just clueless.

It's also not the fact that there IS striping, it's how that striping is arranged. The Class II vests are specifically designed to create the impression of a human form when nothing else is visible except the stripes. Your turnout gear stripes won't do it- assuming they're not covered in soot to begin with.

Comment

While I have not personally seen or read about a denial/reduction of worker's comp benefits for not wearing your PPE (including a vest), the way the insurance business is going, there will be a time, (sooner than later) when you will be held accountable for your personal failure to use all of the appropriate PPE for a given situation.

Insurance companies have, for years, been apportioning responsibility for claims as have the courts. It is just a matter of time before governmental entities (your employers) and their worker's comp carriers (the insurance companies) begin to do the same.

The idea that YOU are responsible for your own safety has been out there for a long, long time, and we should take that to heart and use the safety gear we are provided to keep ourselves as protected as possible.

There will come a time when you will see reduced benefits, and/or the denial of benefits for on-the-job injuries/death because YOU contributed to your injuries/death due to a failure to use the appropriate PPE.

Our work takes us into hazardous situations on a regular basis, and we owe it to our brother and sister firefighters, our employers, the community we serve, and especially our families, to go home healthy and in one piece at the end of EVERY shift.

everyonegoeshome.com
                            everyonegoeshome.com

Comment

I prefer to wear either a turnout coat or EMS style reflective jacket. I generally would only wear the vest when it's warm out and I only have my duty uniform on. I see way too many guys with the vest on during fire suppression, I don't know what that's about. Personally, I think vests are generally overkill and ineffective. Setting up proper safety zones and blocking or even shutting down a road is going to save more lives. If they hit you and you weren't wearing a vest, you were probably where you shouldn't be, or they already missed a dozen other warning signs and would've hit you anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by BW21 View Post
                                Personally....

If the people on the road driving don't see a giant fire engine with its lights on they probably won't see a vest.

Anyways....
                                The general rule on them is wear them anytime you're working in the road unless doing extrication and its getting in the way or doing any fire suppression... So I'm going to keep wearing mine
                                It isn't the firetruck I am afraid of getting hit. It is the safety personel that isn't as noticeable especialy with the distractions of lights etc...

Personally I vote for vests unless the coats with safety stripes are clearly noticable.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X