Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• savinu4078
    replied
    Well, my dept practices 2in/2out however RIT what is that? My dept has no idea or plans to implement a RIT for Residential or Commercial Assignments. I can only hope that we never need it. Anyone who has started a RIT in a Combo dept please send me some Ideas.

Leave a comment:

• mhamrickjfd
    replied
    RIT is VERY important!!! If you don't use it do so soon! Our department uses RIT at every fire, no matter how small. We have a unit that runs city wide and on the fire ground RIT is all they do. RIT is very important... we cant afford to lose anymore brothers/ sisters! Practice, practice, then practice some more!
    Marty Hamrick
    Firefighter/HAZ MAT TECH
    Jonesboro, AR
    Local 3718

Leave a comment:

• Scene25
    replied
    Well, lemme refresh Jim's memory.

Clairton FD held a structure burn class on a weekend, at which Mr. Crawford was the lead instructor. Anyway, to make a long story short.

Saturday went very good, with the exception of the weather being about 100 degree's.

Sunday, umm, very hot, and some angry residents, as they had to evacuate the church, because it filled up with smoke.... heheheheheh, not that it was Jim's fault, but it is a good memory of a fun time with a good instructor.

For those of you who know A.C.F.M. Larry Boyle, ask him about the toilet incident in Clairton about 10 years ago. : ) He has a great memory of it.

Take Care and Be Safe

Leave a comment:

• PBFTRK33
    replied
    Oh, by the way Shawn, your comment about the magazines is correct, I will soon be submitting an article on "RIT, firefighter entrapment" to Firehouse. It's done, I am just getting my pictures together. Keep an eye out for it.

Jim Crawford
    Pittsburgh Bureau of Fire

Leave a comment:

• PBFTRK33
    replied
    Church??? What church??? I don't know what church you are talking about.... I have a terrible memory. Scene25 must be mistaken.

Jim Crawford

Leave a comment:

• PghEMTmac
    replied
    Really quick, on the topic, I really think that the national magazines need to put more emphasis on RIT team Training. RIT is literally saving lives and there is no reason that it is not being taught in every fire academy in this country.

On the Side bar, I think that Jim needs to tell this story about the church to the Whole Class.

Leave a comment:

• SBVFD-RESCUE7
    replied
    Jim,
    Don't you know you're not supposed to smoke in church ? Even Scene25 knows that!

Leave a comment:

• CHIEF500
    replied
    You are correct, this needs alot more posting and discussion.

My Department fell into a very fortunate situation. We were behind on the RIT/FAST training. We looked for other options. We are located on the Delaware River across from Burlington, NJ. In Burlington County NJ they have had a FAST program up and operating for a few years. We were looking to institute the program in my first due area. We did not want to use companies for FAST from our extra alarm assignments. This depleted the response and would cause a bit of juggling of assignments. FAST is a very important assignment and not one to just throw anyone into the role. Our choice was to use a up and running program, experienced, trained, with SOP's or SOG's in place. The Burlington City FAST Team is a automatic dispatch to all working structure fires in Bristol Borough. If the building or incident is to large of an area we request a second unit response from Burlington County. This adds the Willingboro FAST Team tothe response. These people know what they are coming to the incident for and not looking to go into service for any other task.
    We have not needed to place them into service at any incidents and hopefully don't have to in the future. But we have prepared a plan and will have chance if the need arises.

Leave a comment:

• Scene25
    replied
    Shawn - Just a side note here.... Make sure when you run into Jim, you ask him about the church that had to be evacuated in Clairton. : )

As always, be safe

Leave a comment:

• ladderjunkieco5
    replied
    Good reading. I think part of the problem is our inherent habit of telling ourselves "it won't happen to me". I know that that is the problem here where I work. I know that my fellow firefighters regard rescue as a part of the job that the extremists go for. Won't they be glad if we're ready to go for them.
    Does anyone have any advice or experience with convincing the powers at be to take it seriously. We're a small community. The federal fire department I work for is one of the largest in the area, and we only have three engine co's and a truck. (+ambulance).
    See ya. [email protected]

Leave a comment:

• PBFTRK33
    replied
    TC and Shawn,
    Thank you for your kind words gentlemen. It's always nice to hear good comments from your peers. I have devoted the last 6 years of my life to training firefighters in RIT and will continue to do so until I feel I have made an impact on the fire service. As always, if I can help anyone out, drop me an email.

Jim Crawford
    Pittsburgh Bureau of Fire

PS- Hey Shawn, It is to bad about our "Bad Blood". I actually have alot of friends in EMS. I look forward to running into you "on the job".

Leave a comment:

• PghEMTmac
    replied
    Hats Off to Jim Crawford. (although our unions dont get along to well , his RIT training on the "working fire" videos is excellant and we are using them to learn from at my fire department as well. for all those looking to get a team goin, those videos are a god send.

Leave a comment:

• Rescue 101
    replied
    Hey my votes with Jim Crawford.I had the pleasure of working with Jim at the Spring Instructor's conference in my area of the Northeast and I can tell you nobody was sitting on their hands.Great job Jim and we're developing the program. T.C.

Leave a comment:

• Firespritz
    replied
    This web site from The IAFF.org site answers some questions about 2 out. http://www.iaff.org/safe/pdfs/2in2out.pdf

We use our 3rd or 4th engine arriving at a structure fire to operate as a RIT team. “2 out” is usually assumed by the first arriving rescue or engine. RIT team should be prepared to operate when needed. We set up a "staging area”, with any and every tool you can think of relating to the type incident: Chain saws, extra airpack, air bottles, ropes, etc etc. RIT teams should not just be standing around hold up pike poles. RIT should be able to do functions that can be dropped immediately, such as, feeding hose, venting, etc etc. I would like to see more ideas posted rather than thoughts on why we use or have RIT. Hope to hear from you all soon. Isnt RIT Federal law?

[ 07-09-2001: Message edited by: Firespritz ]

Leave a comment:

• hem9899
    replied
    I am also wondering why RIT gets ignored. I am from a small city fire dept and we dont have that many people trained in it. However I do what ever I can when I am working to enforce it. I was caught in a flashover 3 years ago and the 3 of us inside had no help we were on our own and luckly all of us made it out safely. I must give all the credit to my Captain who was part of the crew and was able to cool down the heat in order for us to get the **** out.[*]nullweb page

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X