Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

NFPA Standard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFPA Standard

Hello Bro's

I need some info. I will be going head to head with a chief in my fire district about RIT. He is the a new chief that has a hard time doing anything that doesn't have an NFPA standard. Conciquently he doesn't believe in RIT. He doesn't think that you need any specialized training to rescue a firefighter in trouble. Well he's right. Except, I would prefer a specialized team to lessen the chances of being found dead.

So, My question. Is there a NFPA standard that covers Rapid Intervention on the fireground? If so would you have a copy that could be sent to me?

Thanks,

MB

Be Safe

The concept of RIT as it is known today is a fairly new animal. FDNY has focused on ff rescue with their rescue companies and FAST concept, but the NY guys can give you info on that. As far as NFPA i dont beleive that there is a specific standard dealing exclusively with RIT, but NFPA 1500 talks about it i beleive. You should check out rapidintervention.com for some better information on RIT.

Comment

NFPA 1500 has a section devoted to rapid intervention teams. Stop by www.rapidintervention.com for more detailed information...
      James K. Crawford
      Assistant Fire Chief
      Midway Fire Rescue
      Pawleys Island, SC

Comment

Originally posted by PBFTRK33
        NFPA 1500 has a section devoted to rapid intervention teams. Stop by www.rapidintervention.com for more detailed information...
        And there you have it...... from THE MAN, himself.....
        The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
        We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
        IACOJ

Comment

Nope, just a mere mortal trying to do a good deed...
          James K. Crawford
          Assistant Fire Chief
          Midway Fire Rescue
          Pawleys Island, SC

Comment

Jim,

I couldn't find the standard on your web site. Where is it on the site?

Have you heard of the RIT program that the Barnstable County Fire/ Rescue Academy in Massachusetts has put together? If so what is your opinion. This is the link to their web site:Barnstable Fire Academy Web Site I am planning on attending this training so that I am trained to their technician level.

Comment

I don't have the NFPA standard on my site. I believe they would be upset about that. You have to contact NFPA and purchase their 1500 standard from them. It's not a real thick standard. The title is NFPA 1500; Occupational Safety and Health standard. If you need more direction on where to look let me know or email me at [email][email protected]

I have heard of the program there but am not familiar with the curriculum...
              Last edited by PBFTRK33; 02-29-2004, 06:42 PM.
              James K. Crawford
              Assistant Fire Chief
              Midway Fire Rescue
              Pawleys Island, SC

Comment

sfd,

Living in Barnstable County, and being on the staff at the academy may make me biased, but its a damn good program. They recently restructured it and spread it out over 4 days. You don't have to take all 4 at once, in fact they are split up by a month or so.

shoot me an email if you have any questions.

email

Comment

Re: NFPA Standard

Originally posted by sfdeng2
                  So, My question. Is there a NFPA standard that covers Rapid Intervention on the fireground? If so would you have a copy that could be sent to me?
                  The NFPA Technical Committee on Fire Service Training has received approval from the Standards Council to develop a RIT training standard. So, it's a work in progress. As others noted, NFPA 1500 makes reference to RIT and plenty of other safety issues.
                  My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Comment

NFPA On RIT

I looked at My list of NFPA and did not see on. But you mite want to look at the NFPA web it should have a full list of all the current NFPA. I myself have be though several Rit team classes at Alabama fire college.My department is a strong Belever in RIT. Sorry I couldn't be more help,but let me know if you find an NFPA on rit

firerat

Comment

On my department we train on it. RIT also falls under Self rescue (I belive) Many departments in the county I live in take a 2 day course. I will see if I can get the information on it for yoo. I will also look for the NFPA stadard on it. I remember reading it in there.

Comment

Does 1500 also cover 2in-2out?

IACOJ Fire Boat 1

Comment

No, the 2 in 2 out rule is covered in the OSHA standard. RIT and IRIC is covered in NFPA.
                          James K. Crawford
                          Assistant Fire Chief
                          Midway Fire Rescue
                          Pawleys Island, SC

Comment

For the Rapid Intervention for Rescue Members is under NFPA 1500 Page 23 8.5 in the 2002 edition. If you need a copy of this let me know..
                            Hope this helps...

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X