Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

How do you secure a R.I.T line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you secure a R.I.T line

I know this may be a silly question but I am curious how you secure a RIT line outside a building and if you read on I will explain why.

I work as a Fire Officer in the UK and we use Breathing Apparatus Guidelines to help us search complicated buildings. The line is tied off outside and also should be secured at appropriate points inside the building. The problem is that most modern buildngs do not have tie-off points so the line cannot be used properly.
    The problem could be worse as fire crews should have already carried out a familiarisation visit to the building and should note that you may need guidelines. This is then marked on our Operational risk assessment for the premises.
    So if there is a fire in the building, the crews can look at the risk ssessment and plans and know that guidelines may be required.
    The point is that we don't ensure there are the proper tie off points to use the guidelines properly.
    In relation to Health and Safety regulations it could be said that there has not been a suitable and sufficient Risk Assessment caried out by the fire crews in case of fire.

So I am curious as to how you secure your RIT lines off in the USA.
    You also may know the buildings you may have to use them in and also may have done famiiarisation visits to the buildings.
    If you know the risk previously, do you highlight it to the building owner?

I am currently trying out the following in my Area and would like your opinion on the suggestion.
    We have devised a plate that is fixed outside the building that we may have to use guidelines in. it is about six inches by four inches and is fitted outside the main door of the building.
    It is secured by spacers so there is a small gap between the plate and the wall. The gap is slightly smaller than the diameter of the Guideline so that when it is pulled into it, the guideline locks in place.
    The guideline can then be pulled tightly in between the wall and the plate and wrapped round the plate so it can be tied quickly.
    Any message required can be put on the plate such as a Fire Safety message or simply RIT if used in the USA.

The reason for this suggestion is that using guidelines in the UK can be extremely dangerous.
    Using them when you cannot secure them properly can be suicidal..!

So if we know we may have to use them, surely we should take every precaution to make sure we can use them safely.

I would appreciate your view on this and wonder if you have the same issues.

We use whatever we can find close to the point of entry. Something on the porch works. Heck even the door knob should work.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Comment

My VFD actually carries a large metal stake on several of our engines. In a worst case, the stake is driven into the ground and the line is secured off the stake.

As a rule, we can almost always find something on the exterior of the building to secure the line.
      Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

Tie it around a chief officer. Serves 2 purposes....anchors the line on the outside and anchors the Chief so they aren't walking all around the fire scene.

(ya, i'm joking......mostly)
        "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Bones42- I like your style- you may not understand this but I remember once being told " you may have a new *** but remember where your old *** one once sat".
          I have the best reminding where I came from, what I am, and what I will always will be. And if they think I am no more than an anchor for a RIT, at least I am useful.
          It cheers me up to know we all think the same.

Comment

We have figure 8 knots on the end of all our lines with a carabiner so it's really easy to tie it off to just about anything outside.

Comment

So you only secure them outside the building?
              Do you ever have to tie them off inside a building?

Comment

Originally posted by Bilbo View Post
                So you only secure them outside the building?
                Do you ever have to tie them off inside a building?
                We'd only tie off inside if it were a very large complex like a mall.

Comment

or if a building with multiple floors....we can tie off on the stairway entering that floor.
                  "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

johnsb

What if it was a mall or a very large building- what would you do then?
                    the point I am trying to make is that in the UK we use a similar device to a RIT line to search buildings and on 99% of occasions we cannot use them properly as we cannot secure them to anything inside the building!

What makes it worse in my opinion, is that we know the types of buildings where we may use them- we even do familiarisation risk assessments on these buildings so fire crews are aware of the risks!

I just think the job is dangerous enough without making it harder for our crews- especially when we can make it safer.

Comment

Pretty safe to tie it off to the first arriving police car. He's not going anywhere, once we all get there...

I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

Is the rope even long enough for a large building or a mall? I know ours isn't.
                        NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
                        IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Comment

If I understand the question correct, you are seeking advise on how to secure inside the building. I have taught and used almost anything that is fixed and not going to move. Some examples are: A pillar, a forklift, an anchored (cemented in) storage rack, any secure post, door knobs (like was suggested earlier) or anything solid on the inside.

If there is nothing available another option is to use a pendulum technique where the Company Officer or a designee will keep their backs to the wall or anything that can be used to maintain their bearings and each Searcher attaches themselves to the "Anchor" (I have a carabiner that is attached to my turnout coat specifically for this). Each Searcher then swings out and covers as much area as possible. I find this also works well with Wide Rises, aisles of product (shelved, boxes and such) and anytime that a lot of area needs to be covered very quickly. It seems for me that simply resetting the "anchor" and swinging-out takes less time than tying-off, stretching, searching, typing-off, stretching, searching. I am not saying it's not a valid method, because it is but if you are looking to search a large area really quick the "anchor" way is what I have found that works well.
                          "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Comment

Thanks Mikeyboy

This is similar to what we have to do- improvise..!
                            The point i am trying to make is that we have already done risk assessments in most of these buildings and also decided that we may need Guidelines if there is a fire. the one thing we don't do is to see if we can use them peoperly.
                            this is where the problems start and the ones at greatest risk are the fire crews.

thanks again for your answer

Comment

Bilbo, just had an idea pop into my noodle while teaching FF Survival and RIC Ops this week. You can use (2) guys hold secure the lines to themselves using the rings/knots by clipping the rings/knots to themselves. By leaving an open ring or a couple of open rings/knots (whatever you use to connect to the RIT Line) and using the (2) personnel as your anchors (connect it to their BAs) it allows you to have an anchor no matter where in the building you are. If you want I'll try to take a picture of what I mean if you don't understand what I mean.
                              "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X