Moving RIT Equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving RIT Equipment

Since the implementation of Rapid intervention Team (RIT) the portability of the RIT basket on the fire ground has proven to be an arduous task. The average weight of the RIT basket with tools is in excess of 200 lbs., requiring four members to transport the basket from apparatus to the fire ground. This process is fatiguing to the RIT members and presents the question of physical readiness of the team in the event a MAYDAY is declared. Not to mention 4 men are not always available to move the eqipment. I developed a rescue kart called the TURK. It alows 1 F/F To transport the basket freeing up more man power to run ladders or other equipment. I'm interested in hearing some feed back how other departments move their RIT equipment.

www.turkrescue.com
    Attached Files

We use four members to transport the basket from apparatus to the fire ground.

We don't carry a ton of crap.

Comment

You're kidding me, right?

How much? No, wait. It doesn't matter. You could charge $3K for it but some Volunteer outfit somewhere will buy it.

We'll use the money instead towards physical fitness, so that we are not fatigued after walking to the command post with the basket.
      "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

If you don't have enough guys to carry the stokes (w/o this cart), then you don't have enough members on the FAST / RIT!!!
        Last edited by THTMAN; 01-11-2011, 04:08 PM.

Comment

If you don't have enough guys to carry the stokes (w/o this cart), then you don't have enough members on the FAST / RIT!!!
          Ding, ding, ding... We have a winner..... Gotta agree with ya.
          "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyboy View Post
            Ding, ding, ding... We have a winner..... Gotta agree with ya.
            YEP!!!....

You could also get one of these for @$250- with a 300lb capacity....
            http://4imgs.com/415/x/ca20_BIG.jpg

Comment

What is a RIT basket?

I'm guessing from the picture its a stokes?

Seems like one more thing to squeeze into a compartment.
              Last edited by ChiefKN; 01-14-2011, 01:14 PM.
              I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

Moving the Cache...

Or I could use our money better and "man-up." (1) FF shoulders the RIT Pack the other shoulders the BA Pack and the rest of the equipment is carried using the tarp. LOL. I know this may be a "new concept" for a FF to carry equipment but it really works.....

This process is fatiguing to the RIT members and presents the question of physical readiness of the team in the event a MAYDAY is declared.
                If my Guys and I are "fatigued" from moving our RIT Cache, as a C.O. I need to seriously smack myself in the mouth for not making P.T. more important. I'd be thinking of volunteering for a demotion since I've failed myself and my Guys.

It alows 1 F/F To transport the basket freeing up more man power to run ladders or other equipment.
                My suggestion is to throw your ladders 1st because having all the equipment in the world is not any use if you can't get access to the personnel. How I divide my Crew is (1) Guy throws ladders, (1) Guy pulls the Cache and I perform my RIT 360. This leaves (1) add'l person to be assigned as I need them (forcible entry, etc). This works even with a (3) man Crew.
                Last edited by mikeyboy; 01-14-2011, 01:36 PM.
                "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Comment

Originally posted by THTMAN View Post
                  +1 (Also +1 on "if your fatigued from just carrying RIT basket, your PT has failed.")

We used to (still do) drag the RIT basket using two hooks as handles. Some companies are getting two small casters mounted at the head end, and move the RIT basket like a hand truck. Not big enough to interfere, but big enough to not be impeded be pepples/other small obstacles.
                  Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

Comment

Moving RIT Equipment

I think a better explanation is due here. First and foremost the invention of the TURK was not for the purpose of substituting man power. The statement made that man power may not be available was not to imply that a RIT operation is to be implemented without sufficient man power but that manpower maybe performing other duties such as throwing a ladder or correcting an immediate hazard like cutting bars off a window that the original company missed. RIT must be proactive and correct any immediate hazards that will not compromise the continuity of the team or limit it from immediate deployment. There is a cadre of tools that are essential to have available for immediate use when operating as a RIT company. This may vary from one department to the next however many departments require tools such as rescue saws, set of irons, lifeline, RIT Pak SCBA, TIC. I have never accepted the argument that we can use the equipment already on the scene from the first arriving apparatus. Needed equipment may not be available and besides that your men did not check that equipment when they assumed duty. The tools you use must be your own and getting them there is always a challenge when you factor in the distance and weather. I was assigned to a busy truck company that averaged 350 runs a month and a lot of those calls were RIT calls. I got tired of seeing my men run that basket up and down the street. My department SOG’s dictated what equipment I had to have available for RIT, how we got it there was up to me. The ladder drag has always been a good method however rolling something is less taxing then dragging something. The guys love it because it’s fast and simple. an attribute that is lacking in a lot of equipment today. Your department may operate differently and it may not have an application however if you have to move stokes baskets/litter baskets it’s a great alternative to carrying it. Be safe out there!

Comment

IMO you report in as unit w/all your equipment, you stage your equiment while the Officer reports to the IC. You then further size up the situation and based on that you take proactive measures (addt'l ladders, etc.). If you are going right to work then you are not the RIT, you are another operating company. Not knocking anyone that tries to make their job easier, I just don't personally see a need for this as the RIT. A small device with some over sized caster wheels if you choose is fine. I don't think I could find room on the apparatus to store this big device either.
                      Last edited by THTMAN; 01-18-2011, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Sorry. Too big and bulky and I bet with a big price tag to match. But like I said. Some volly outifit somewhere with money falling out of their bungholes will buy it.
                        "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

in chicago, truck companies were issued the "ladder lugger hauler" model, for RIT use. http://www.ladderlugger.com/

from my experience, it is a huge pain in the *****. we have to store it in the pit, under the main (no room anywhere else). by the time you get up there, dig it out, set it up, etc. you could have carried the stokes basket a mile the old way (with four guys taking a corner). out of the last 5 times we were assigned RIT, we used it NEVER. waste of money.

and if you do use it...say you end up needing to use the stokes for a RIT situation, now you have to disconnect the whole "ladder lugger" to get your stokes out.

Comment

Sorry. Too big and bulky and I bet with a big price tag to match.
                            I couldn't agree more. Spend your money on more useful equipment.
                            FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

Comment

Isn't it easier to carry less crap? It is not necessary to unload and entire rig into a stokes and lug it down the street or worse yet drag it down the street.
                              Take a look at what you are bringing and why, is it something you will need immediately that is not readily availible on the rig in front of the building? Even the stokes itself... what is wrong with the one on the truck in front of the building?
                              Take what you need, travel light and get in position to do your job. If it takes you five minutes to assemble and you kill your crew humping all this junk to the scene you probably weren't needed to begin with.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X