X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Largo Fla--Fire Prevention Poster Contest

St. PEtersburg Times--North Pinellas

Celebrating fire safety in a big way
    Fourth-grader Keon Boozar-Jomehri's winning poster will hang on a billboard outside of a Largo fire station for the month.

By SHANNON TAN
    Published October 14, 2003

LARGO - What's the best way to draw fire?

Orange flames outlined in pink, decided 9-year-old Keon Boozar-Jomehri.

His poster of a family running from their burning home as a firefighter extinguishes the flames beat more than 400 other entries this year in a contest sponsored by the Largo Fire Department.

This year's Fire Prevention Week theme: "When fire strikes, get out! Stay out!"

His poster will be displayed on a billboard at Largo Fire Station No. 38 along Ulmerton Road through the end of this month.

On Monday, the St. Paul's School student got a chance to autograph his gigantic artwork.

Keon's classmates showed up to cheer him on. His parents, grandparents, aunt, uncle and brother came armed with cameras.

Mayor Bob Jackson slipped out of his suit jacket and slipped on his shades.

Stepping onto a fire truck's ladder, Jackson and Chief Carroll Williams watched as Keon signed his name in shaky letters.

From his perch nearly 30 feet above the ground, Keon waved and addressed the adoring crowd.

"Hi, Mom! Hi, Dad! How's it going down there?"

His parents, Abdi Boozar-Jomehri and Mahshid Arasteh of Safety Harbor, waved back.

Arasteh, a public works administrator for Clearwater, said both of her sons enjoy drawing.

"I always bug them about watching TV," she said. "Later they'll come back with 10 drawings each and say, "See Mom, we're not just watching TV.' "

Keon drew the poster by himself, she said, but asked for help on what colors should be used to depict fire.

Ever the perfectionist, Keon even expressed dissatisfaction with his signature.

"The "a' looks like an "o,' and the "r' looks like it's not there," he said later. "I couldn't get it in the right place."

- Shannon Tan can be reached at [email protected] or 445-4174.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Great Idea!!!!!!! What is "Minister of Southern Comfort"??

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
    Working...
    X