Developing the Division

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Developing the Division

So, since I was last on this forum.....things have skyrocketed for me. I am now the "Acting Fire Inspector" for my county, along with all my other duties (ride on the bus, drive the BRT). I attained my GA State Fire Inspector 1 and currently in class for my 2. My application is in process for being deputized as a Fire Marshal by the State.

Here's my issue:

We really have not had a Fire Prevention Division, and I am trying to get all the particulars in place to create it. And key right now is creating a budget and proposal to present to the County Commissioners at the next FY talks. What I have been doing is using "Pre-Incident Planning" as my avenue to enter the businesses to be able to get an idea where we are with potential violations.

We will have 3 key positions within the division: Inspections, Investigations, and Education. My department already has the first two covered by certified people, and the third will probably fall on me. I have been developing CRR data and assisting with that program already.

So, my EFO/FO folks and anyone else that has been in that position to develop a budget and write a proposal........any assistance you can share?
    Last edited by DocBernard; 02-02-2022, 06:26 PM.

Not a budget person. Suggest you meet with some other Georgian Fire Marshal's, so you get a Georgia slant, and rules. No need to reinvent.

I would say id one year, five year, and maybe ten year goals.

What to you want the division to do??? annuals, plan review, investigations, education, etc....

These normally change, or are modified, over the years.

How many people you will need to achieve the goals. Most office do not have enough people.

Will the shift people help you any. Partner with other city departments, and private businesses, to achieve some of the goals.

Any tasks forces, that can help.

Do you have city support to do it.

Appears you already have it thru the fire code to do inspections:::

(a) Pursuant to O.C.G.A. 25-2-4, rules and regulations adopted by the Safety Fire Commissioner shall have the force and effect of law and shall have statewide application as being the state minimum fire safety standards and shall not require adoption by a municipality or county. The governing authority of any municipality or county in this state is authorized to enforce the state minimum fire safety standards on all buildings and structures except one-family and two-family dwellings, one- and two-family row houses (townhouses) separated by a 2-hour fire wall and two-family townhouses separated by a 2-hour fire wall, and those buildings and structures listed in O.C.G.A. 25-2-13, except as may be required or permitted by O.C.G.A. 25-2-12 and 25-2-12.1.
    Good luck, start slow on code enforcement, maybe educate the businesses, the first year or two. With ok fix this now, and work on this, as we will required it soon.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
    Working...
    X