Fire axe for public use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire axe for public use

A hospital safety committee came up with an idea that if an exit was blocked, staff could use a fire axe to breach a wall to escape. Now there are axes strategically placed in various locations. Give them credit for thinking outside of the box! This has been in place for awhile now and I'm being asked for input. The place is up to code. They had an incident that sparked the idea. where to start?

So the atmosphere will be fine no smoke or heat while they wail against a wall......really?. Do they have face protection and gloves to protect them? Any live wires in those walls oxygen piping, etc etc? Seems like they did not think this through. What does the safety manager and work comp insurance carrier loss prevention rep. think of this idea?
    Last edited by InsuranceLCRep; 01-29-2017, 11:38 PM.
    Fire Sprinklers Save Firefighters’ Lives Too!

Comment

Originally posted by GPM1230 View Post
      A hospital safety committee came up with an idea that if an exit was blocked, staff could use a fire axe to breach a wall to escape. Now there are axes strategically placed in various locations. Give them credit for thinking outside of the box! This has been in place for awhile now and I'm being asked for input. The place is up to code. They had an incident that sparked the idea. where to start?
      If an exit was blocked by what? Fire and/or smoke? Exits should not be blocked for any other reason and if they are that is the problem to address as opposed to wall breaching tools.
      What exactly was the "incident" that precipitated this idea?

Comment

Thanks for your input everyone. All made good points and that's pretty much in line with where I was headed. I recommended they be removed. Explained all the safety systems in the building, reviewed their code red, they are doing drills and staff is trained. Explained the dangers of the axe use with no training, no PPE and the dangers of what they may be cutting into. Suggested additional things a person could do if trapped in a room.

Comment

As them if they have run this by the Joint Commission. The Joint Commission evaluates all hospitals and loosing accreditation or scoring low means loss of federal $$$. The commission inspects the hospital every 3 years and shows up unannounced and will spend 1-2 weeks on site. They look at both patient and worker safety including fire life safety. They would flip out if they got wind of this procedure.
          Fire Sprinklers Save Firefighters’ Lives Too!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X