Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

How can we not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can we not?

One classroom visit and this impact was made. 30 minutes a day, week, or month, it can be done. It's up to us:

http://www.firehouse.com/video/12185612/girl-thanks

Time. Money. Staffing. Training.

Again 1 30 minute classroom presentation x ___ number of classrooms. And yes, for some departments, that one visit is a challenge.

Again, my job is prevention. I teach prevention for the National Fire Academy and LSU Fire Training. But that being said, I fully understand the challenges, and for some departments, it's a challenge, for any number of valid reasons.

Yes, for most it's doable. For some, it may require a change in culture, leadership and membership rules. And for some, it's going to require less laziness, and it's going to mean less time on the couch and a little more motivation. It may require attending some training. It may require spending a few bucks.

But again, for some, it's going to be a challenge and may not be all that easy.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
      Time. Money. Staffing. Training.

Again 1 30 minute classroom presentation x ___ number of classrooms. And yes, for some departments, that one visit is a challenge.

Again, my job is prevention. I teach prevention for the National Fire Academy and LSU Fire Training. But that being said, I fully understand the challenges, and for some departments, it's a challenge, for any number of valid reasons.

Yes, for most it's doable. For some, it may require a change in culture, leadership and membership rules. And for some, it's going to require less laziness, and it's going to mean less time on the couch and a little more motivation. It may require attending some training. It may require spending a few bucks.

But again, for some, it's going to be a challenge and may not be all that easy.
      Yes it is a challenge for many. No it is not easy. But yes it can be done. One classroom a year can make a difference.

Comment

Sure, not disagreeing that one classroom a year could make a difference.

In my district, it would take over 90 years to cover all of my classrooms at that rate. Maybe, just maybe I would hit that one classroom where there would be that one student that had a fire that year, but statistically, not likely.

Again, not disagreeing that fire prevention and public education is critical. It's been my passion in the fire service for the last 25 plus years. That being said, I believe in managed programs, not just a random one classroom per year.

Comment

Again, not disagreeing that fire prevention and public education is critical. It's been my passion in the fire service for the last 25 plus years. That being said, I believe in managed programs, not just a random one classroom per year.
          I agree. While I think a structured program is the absolute best, I also agree many fire departments do not have the resources to do that. So if they can only hit one classroom a week, month, quarter, etc. then take it. Even if it is just their kid's class. Do what you can but do something.

One of the problems we face, I believe, in the fire service when it comes to prevention is many firefighters and departments feel you need big elaborate programs full of time and commitment. Now I think that is best of course, but that is not needed. A simple conversation on the bumper of a fire truck at a community event is also fire prevention. Not the best of course, but it is something, and certainly better than what we are doing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Byrne View Post

One of the problems we face, I believe, in the fire service when it comes to prevention is many firefighters and departments feel you need big elaborate programs full of time and commitment.
            If you can get anyone interested in doing it at all. I've found that the education piece only works when those involved want to be and believe in education/prevention. Many firefighters are disinterested at best and some would rather go to fires than not, so why prevent them. Heck we have firefighters helping argue against sprinklers! Troubling.

The above being said, it takes find a few people who believe to start something, it will grow if they are supported. Inaction is not an answer.

Comment

Originally posted by RFDACM02 View Post
              If you can get anyone interested in doing it at all. I've found that the education piece only works when those involved want to be and believe in education/prevention. Many firefighters are disinterested at best and some would rather go to fires than not, so why prevent them. Heck we have firefighters helping argue against sprinklers! Troubling.

The above being said, it takes find a few people who believe to start something, it will grow if they are supported. Inaction is not an answer.
              EXACTLY! WELL SAID! It is very sad that this is the case. If you joined the fire service to help people, namely by protecting the from fire, then prevention should be part of that. This also comes back to our image and who we attract to the job. Not saying that those who serve are less dedicated because they aren't interested, they just don't see prevention as a part of that. This is where the fire service has failed because the Conference on Fire Prevention in 1947 should have set that tone.

But you are correct again that all it takes is a few people who believe, and want to start something new, to grow it. That has been the basis of all I preach and write about.

Awesome!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Byrne View Post
                EXACTLY! WELL SAID! It is very sad that this is the case. If you joined the fire service to help people, namely by protecting the from fire, then prevention should be part of that. This also comes back to our image and who we attract to the job. Not saying that those who serve are less dedicated because they aren't interested, they just don't see prevention as a part of that. This is where the fire service has failed because the Conference on Fire Prevention in 1947 should have set that tone.

But you are correct again that all it takes is a few people who believe, and want to start something new, to grow it. That has been the basis of all I preach and write about.

Awesome!!!
                Agree ..... To an extent.

In great part it takes the department leadership to agree. If you have a group of firefighter and/or officers, and the leadership does not allow them to go to the schools or deliver program, their enthusiasm will likely be squashed. And yes, I have heard first-hand of that occurring more than once, especially in career situations where the leadership has complete control of what they will do and when they will do it while on shift.

Why would leadership oppose prevention? Any number of reasons including the simple fact that often the value ... and the budget ... of the department is judged by those in city hall on the number of fires they respond to. Some Chiefs may believe that the public perception of the department is based on responding to, not preventing, fires. Tied into that is fewer fires .. reduced media profile. maybe the Chief believes that it's the fire department's job to put out fires, not teach. Or the simple fact that we never really teach our line members how to teach.

Or maybe it's all about control. Any number of reasons that may throttle those few members from doing prevention.

In a volunteer situation, a member taking the bull by the horns may have fewer obstacles, as they are actually using their free (unpaid) time but some of them still persist include training and resources.

So in a way, it's more about what the leadership believes re: prevention than what the members believe.

Again, should we be doing it? Yup. And as you said, there are very few excuses.

Comment

Agree ..... To an extent.

In great part it takes the department leadership to agree. If you have a group of firefighter and/or officers, and the leadership does not allow them to go to the schools or deliver program, their enthusiasm will likely be squashed. And yes, I have heard first-hand of that occurring more than once, especially in career situations where the leadership has complete control of what they will do and when they will do it while on shift.

Why would leadership oppose prevention? Any number of reasons including the simple fact that often the value ... and the budget ... of the department is judged by those in city hall on the number of fires they respond to. Some Chiefs may believe that the public perception of the department is based on responding to, not preventing, fires. Tied into that is fewer fires .. reduced media profile. maybe the Chief believes that it's the fire department's job to put out fires, not teach. Or the simple fact that we never really teach our line members how to teach.
                  Well I would like to believe that Fire Chief's not allowing their personnel to visit classrooms is the extreme exception. If Fire Chiefs don't buy into prevention they should just for the PR value. If they do not allow that I am willing to bet they will not be a Chief for too long. But officers squashing motivation is a killer without a doubt. Firefighters being squashed should just focus on doing the right thing for the right reasons, and why I post in the forums as I do... to give those zealots support. Just bide their time until the right officer comes in.

If city hall is judging on the number of fires then that is the place to start. They plethora of information out their today on the value of CRR, and plenty of classes (for free) from the NFA that teach how to do that. Won't be easy. Won't be over night. But you have to take that first step. One thing all fire departments have to start doing is working with the media. There are 1001 ways to get your department in the paper, you again just have to take that step. EMI in Emmetsburg offers free classes, and there are classes on line, and classes locally that can help start a PIO program. Heck just ask your reporters for help, they are always looking to make connections.

Budget shouldn't be a concern for those small programs and classroom visits, especially for paid departments. Would just cost the little bit of fuel money.

It isn't easy and a long, long road, but again.... you have to take that first step.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X