Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Combination FD making no excuses and getting it done!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combination FD making no excuses and getting it done!

Resources? Utilizing both paid and volunteers
    Funding? Donations
    Liability? Created a liability form

They have a plan and desire. Not only are they providing a valued service and increasing community safety, but getting eye to eye with their residents during a teachable moment will go a long way to increasing their daily value to their citizens.

Great job!

Conducting Post-Fire Canvasses Puts Neighbors at Ease

http://www.firehouse.com/article/121...es-after-fires

FDNY has long had a similar policy but it's designed for fatal fires because that's what really gets the public's attention. Expansion to all fires may be a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by captnjak View Post
      FDNY has long had a similar policy but it's designed for fatal fires because that's what really gets the public's attention. Expansion to all fires may be a good idea.
      Probably any fire that got the neighbors out looking may be a benefit or where there was significant damage. A pot on the stove or smaller fires, especially in the FDNY, would be pretty taxing to do.

Have the ones you all do for fatalities been successful? I have never had a program like that but have always considered starting one.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Byrne View Post
        Probably any fire that got the neighbors out looking may be a benefit or where there was significant damage. A pot on the stove or smaller fires, especially in the FDNY, would be pretty taxing to do.

Have the ones you all do for fatalities been successful? I have never had a program like that but have always considered starting one.
        Not sure how to measure success. People seem more receptive if you catch them right after something noteworthy occurs. How long they stay receptive is anyone's guess. Followup with all contacts is not really feasible with the workload (fires, emergencies, inspections, training, etc) This is the same reason we don't do a campaign for the more routine fires.

Comment

Originally posted by captnjak View Post
          Not sure how to measure success. People seem more receptive if you catch them right after something noteworthy occurs. How long they stay receptive is anyone's guess. Followup with all contacts is not really feasible with the workload (fires, emergencies, inspections, training, etc) This is the same reason we don't do a campaign for the more routine fires.
          Grab the teachable moment. If you reached 20 people and only one listened and made a change then you were successful. You reduced the fire threat by 1%. While that may seem insignificant how do we know if that one house wasn't the one that would have had a civilian or LODD. As I have said; the answer to that is maybe, or maybe even doubtful. But when lives are in the balance those to answers have been enough for firefighters to make the effort.

Do what you can and let the rest fall into the hands of God. After all we are just instruments.

Comment

Danial do you know where best to find some stats on fire prevention such as dollars spent vs. return on that investment? I'm starting a "new" budget process and our City manager is looking for stats to use to show the value of all services. We know if we can prevent fires the savings is huge, but anyone seen stats to validate that or quantify it in some manner?

Comment

Originally posted by RFDACM02 View Post
              Danial do you know where best to find some stats on fire prevention such as dollars spent vs. return on that investment? I'm starting a "new" budget process and our City manager is looking for stats to use to show the value of all services. We know if we can prevent fires the savings is huge, but anyone seen stats to validate that or quantify it in some manner?
              I may have something for you. My email is [email protected]. Shoot me your email and I will see if I can get you what you are looking for. A good friend of mine from a neighboring fire department came up with a process to do just that and his presentation is highly requested at conferences. See if I can't get you the information right from the source.

It is based upon dollar value protected vrs fire damage. As for me I used the reduction in fires from when I started to that point and it worked. But if you are just starting, or not there yet, then this may help.

Also I heard the NFA has a great program on "Proving your prevention programs worth." It is new and I have been unable to take it YET but have heard nothing but great feedback.

Happy to help. Shoot me an email.

Comment

Originally posted by RFDACM02 View Post
                The trick is how do you document savings for the incidents that never occur and we never respond on?

Sure, when we have a detector activation that leads to an early fire department response or saves a life, we can document that, but the reality is that those are very rare events.

The problem comes in when those who want to divert time, money and people away from prevention say "Prove that it works". And again, how do we document things that never occur because somebody changed their cooking habits, burned thier yard debris in a safer manner or took care of that electrical issue because of a fire prevention message?

It will always be impossible to truly quantify the value of pubed in a way that will satisfy the bean counters or the doubters.
                Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
                  The trick is how do you document savings for the incidents that never occur and we never respond on?

Sure, when we have a detector activation that leads to an early fire department response or saves a life, we can document that, but the reality is that those are very rare events.

The problem comes in when those who want to divert time, money and people away from prevention say "Prove that it works". And again, how do we document things that never occur because somebody changed their cooking habits, burned thier yard debris in a safer manner or took care of that electrical issue because of a fire prevention message?

It will always be impossible to truly quantify the value of pubed in a way that will satisfy the bean counters or the doubters.
                  There is a great class at the NFA that teaches how to do this exact thing. Also Vision 20/20 has this information as well on how to gather and quantify the data into something useful; along with, a CRR mail list of CRR experts across the nation who can help. The information is out there and people are doing it.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X