Hey LA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey LA

Hate the term think out side the box -- but beings as you are in LA aka Lower Arkansas -you might have somewhat similar demographics . Fifteen years ago or so , One thing I noticed in my area was a big jump in home schooling. We always did a heavy prevention pre school through 3rd grade, got to thinking bout the home schoolers. Long story short -contacted the head of their loosely organized group. We started an annual fire prevention at their yearly "get together" --Don't know how big it is in LA , but growing a lot here.
    ?

There is quite a bit of homeschooling in this area as well.

Up until a few years ago I had a hard time accessing it but over the last 3 years I have started doing a number of library programs, which has put me in contact with a number of homeschoolers and homeschooling groups. Since that time, I have hosted several programs at my station.

I probably reach 200-300 homeschoolers pre-K through high school age in a typical year.

Curriculum for the little ones (Pre-K through grade 5) is pretty easy as it mirrors what I do in the schools. Above that, I have to be a little more creative but things like fire science, first aid and injury prevention (heavy emphasis on head and spine trauma) is the typical fare for that ages.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
      There is quite a bit of homeschooling in this area as well.

Up until a few years ago I had a hard time accessing it but over the last 3 years I have started doing a number of library programs, which has put me in contact with a number of homeschoolers and homeschooling groups. Since that time, I have hosted several programs at my station.

I probably reach 200-300 homeschoolers pre-K through high school age in a typical year.

Curriculum for the little ones (Pre-K through grade 5) is pretty easy as it mirrors what I do in the schools. Above that, I have to be a little more creative but things like fire science, first aid and injury prevention (heavy emphasis on head and spine trauma) is the typical fare for that ages.
      So you have them come to the station kind of like a field trip? -gotcha --we tried to hit them all at once at their annual meeting, which is kind of hectic and had time constraints. but we also had time constraints as it was fully volley.
      ?

Comment

Originally posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
        So you have them come to the station kind of like a field trip? -gotcha --we tried to hit them all at once at their annual meeting, which is kind of hectic and had time constraints. but we also had time constraints as it was fully volley.
        Yup.

I find it a lot easier to bring in the groups at separate times.

They range from a small group of about 25 up to a couple of larger groups of 40 or 50. There are a couple of other groups that I work with at a neighboring department's station.

As I'm full time, I have the flexibility to be able to schedule multiple programs. (It makes me look busy in front of the boss!)
        Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
        Working...
        X