Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Yep! It's this easy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    And why I am reading it , id because I have been doing fire prevention since 1971 - I just don't rag on people like how a reformed alcoholic
    Put words in your mouth? Rag on people? Please explain.

Comment

Don't put effing words in my mouth -- never said ignore it ---
      No I said that if what I suggest does not apply to you or your department then you (any reader) can simply ignore what I said. And if you post a reason why it would not work, in the interest of information exchange, if I feel there is a solution or an alternate way of viewing it I will offer it, and again if that does not apply or will not work for you then you can ignore it. That's kind of what moderators do.

I never said you stated ignore it.

Comment

And yet when people say it won't work in the area and explain why, you still keep going on them that they need to think outside the box, or need to find a way to do it. Who decided yours is the right way and all the rest of us "just don't try hard enough"?

Open discussion is just that...an open discussion.
        "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Originally posted by Bones42 View Post
          And yet when people say it won't work in the area and explain why, you still keep going on them that they need to think outside the box, or need to find a way to do it. Who decided yours is the right way and all the rest of us "just don't try hard enough"?

Open discussion is just that...an open discussion.
          Read what you just posted.... and think about you just posted and said. Sounds like encouragement? Sounds like positive reinforcement? Sounds like support? Sounds like help?

Yes, pub-ed, prevention, etc. do require "outside the box" thinking. Such thinking is what makes any program (prevention or not) successful when one faces and obstacle and challenge.

Yes, it's an open discussion, for both parties. And as a moderator it’s what you’re supposed to do to continue the discussion, generate out of the box thinking, get ideas, thoughts, perspectives, that you may not get elsewhere. This is what forums are supposed to be for.

If what I say does not reply. Ignore. As a moderator if I disagree and feel there is another thought, idea, perspective, then I post it.

That's how this all works. Would not be doing my job as a moderator if someone posts a problem and I throw my hands up too and simply say "yeah, your screwed, can't be done." What good would that do for anyone, whether in a forum, or anywhere in life. Especially in a brotherhood where I care about my service, my people, and those we serve, and not only has my department been very successful in this area, but numerous people from numerous departments have been as well.

Sometimes Bones, people like misery, and want that reenforcement, and they come to the fourms and post under pseudonyms to express their frustriation and want company. Not saying that is the case here at all, but again as a moderator it is my job to not allow that to distract or get sucked into that.

So let's move on....

Comment

Just WHY do you have to bring the fact that you are a MODERATOR into the discussion ? is that supposed to somehow validate your opinion ? I love how you thinly veil an insult to bones and then "not saying that is the case here at all" - Since you are moderator --how about you change the name to "DANIEL's pulpit ?
            ?

Comment

Just WHY do you have to bring the fact that you are a MODERATOR into the discussion ? is that supposed to somehow validate your opinion ? I love how you thinly veil an insult to bones and then "not saying that is the case here at all" - Since you are moderator --how about you change the name to "DANIEL's pulpit ?
              Because the moderator's job is to get discussions going and encourage different view points, ideas, opinions, thoughts, etc. Thus I brought it up to illustrate why I continue to offer differing view points and thoughts in the hopes of explaining to you why I am doing what I am doing, which I see is a waste of effort. Nothing here validates my opinion and never said it did thus I have said "if it doesn't apply ignore it" NOT "if you don't agree you're wrong." BIG difference.

Not going to exchange insults with you. Read my posts and contrast them with yours and take a real hard look at who thinks their opinion is validated or supersedes another's.

Again.... let's move on.

Comment

Sounds like Cartman from South Park.....you must respect ma authoritay!

I find it interesting that many many members have begged firehouse to allow moderators and have all been told no, there are no user/moderators.....yet they made this 1? *** I remembered now, you are a contributor to the Magazine which can give you the Moderator status - my mistake ***

Kind of fits in with the current state of firehouse.com
                Last edited by Bones42; 01-11-2016, 09:09 AM. Reason: Magazine
                "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Originally posted by Bones42 View Post
                  Sounds like Cartman from South Park.....you must respect ma authoritay!

I find it interesting that many many members have begged firehouse to allow moderators and have all been told no, there are no user/moderators.....yet they made this 1? *** I remembered now, you are a contributor to the Magazine which can give you the Moderator status - my mistake ***

Kind of fits in with the current state of firehouse.com
                  I think your posts make it perfectly clear why you're not a moderator. No you do not have to be a contributor. Your option to come here. If you are that unhappy, and you really are, then don't come here. It's that simple.

Again you want to exchange insults and I will not do that.

Moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Byrne View Post
                    I think your posts make it perfectly clear why you're not a moderator. No you do not have to be a contributor. Your option to come here. If you are that unhappy, and you really are, then don't come here. It's that simple.

Again you want to exchange insults and I will not do that.

Moving on.
                    finally I agree with you ---- you do not want to EXCHANGE insults , you want to throw out thinly veiled insults but you can dish it out, but you cant take it. So , if I understand correctly , if someone posts a differing opinion, we should just leave. Quick question , is that the policy of Firehouse AND their advertisers ?
                    ?

Comment

I hate to get in the middle of this, but ........

Both sides here have some valid points.

While I understand your passion Daniel, at times you do come off pushy. The reality is that there are departments where for a variety of reasons including time, manpower or just the nature of the area that they serve they either are not able to or traditionally simply not have been heavily involved in community outreach and public education, and likely either are simply not able to or have no plans to change that in the future. And that's ok. And that is coming from somebody who believes that those types of programs are critical. But I also understand that there are places where that simply can't happen because the staff - either career, combo or volunteer - is stretched right now and any type of mission expansion is certainly not realistic. I know many places that I teach for LSU that the vollie staff is barely holding on to the true core functions- training, maintenance and runs - and any type of community awareness beyond what they do now is simply not likely. That is the reality is many places, and as much as I don't like it, that's reality.

One the other side of the coin - Slack, Bones and the Captn' - I understand where he is coming from. Is he pushy? Yes. maybe even somewhat confrontational? Ya. But he is passionate and has beliefs, and he is simply offering alternatives. Could he be a little softer? Yes. But he is offering options to others that may be in the situations that you describe.

At the end of the day, department culture and department resources will guide where you go in terms of community awareness and prevention. Understand that Daniel is trying to advocate, and I don't believe that he means to offend, but often people with passion sometimes come off that way. I know as I have been told the same thing.
                      Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

finally I agree with you ---- you do not want to EXCHANGE insults , you want to throw out thinly veiled insults but you can dish it out, but you cant take it. So , if I understand correctly , if someone posts a differing opinion, we should just leave. Quick question , is that the policy of Firehouse AND their advertisers ?
                        Nope that's not what I said at all. Please read my posts for clarification as to what I have said numerous - numerous - numerous - numerous - numerous times. Hope this helps you out in every way it can. I do strongly encourage you to contact Firehouse.com for their policy and for complaints.

Again.... moving on...

Comment

And all this started by simply congratulating a volunteer department on a great program, the importance of personal relationships, and wishing everyone a Merry Christmas.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X