Trying to create a fire and life safety position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to create a fire and life safety position

My department has a fire and life program, but it sucks. We have been teaching the same thing every year for the past 10 years. It doesn't matter the age. I try teach something different for different age groups. I'm very passionate about fire and life safety. The purpose of fire and life safety is to educate the public, but that's not what we are doing. I was thinking about writing up a proposal to show the need for change. I'm hoping to create enough work that my department will want to do a full time fire and life safety officer. It's in the budget. Two useless people retired. Well they weren't useless their position was useless. The city is not going to hire anybody to fill those 2 positions. Do you all think this is a good plan. I'm hoping after a few years they will want a full time fire and life safety officer.

Originally posted by psilentchild View Post
    My department has a fire and life program, but it sucks. We have been teaching the same thing every year for the past 10 years. It doesn't matter the age. I try teach something different for different age groups. I'm very passionate about fire and life safety. The purpose of fire and life safety is to educate the public, but that's not what we are doing. I was thinking about writing up a proposal to show the need for change. I'm hoping to create enough work that my department will want to do a full time fire and life safety officer. It's in the budget. Two useless people retired. Well they weren't useless their position was useless. The city is not going to hire anybody to fill those 2 positions. Do you all think this is a good plan. I'm hoping after a few years they will want a full time fire and life safety officer.
    My combo department created a Fire and Life Safety officer position 6 years ago. In addition to those duties, which includes the school programs, smoke detector installations and adult programs, I am also involved with both the admin and delivery side o the training program, pre-planning and several admin duties.

This is how my program is structured:

Pre-K/Daycare/Kindergarten - Matches an Lighters are Tools, Stop, Drop & Roll and Firefighter Isn't A Monster.
    1st Grade - Home Fire Escape
    2nd Grade - Smoke Detectors & Home Fire Escape
    3rd Grade - Commercial Building & Hotel/Motel Fire Escape
    4th Grade - Basic Fire Science, Kitchen Fire safety & Extinguishment, Electrical Fire Safety
    5th Grade - Basic First Aid, Water Safety & Rescue

W go into the Kindergartens, 1st, 2nd and 3rd grades 4 times per year for a 30 minute block each time. the first 2 visits are conducted on classroom-by classroom basis. The last 2 are conducted during PE class.

I visit 3rd and 4th grades 3x each year for 30 minutes each. The first program is done in the classroom and the last 2 are done in PE.

When I started the program 10 years ago s a volunteer, I was in the schools once a year. Over time, as they saw the value of the program and demonstrated that I was delivering education vs. show and tell, I was given additional time every time I asked for more.

Developing and presenting a written lesson plan with clear goals and objectives utilizing proven educational methodology will go a long way in showing that you are an EDUCATOR.

My Daycare and Pre-K programs utilize the NFPA Learn Not to Burn Program. We teach the 1st lesson on Monday (Matches and Lighters) and the Friday program (Firefighters Aren't Monsters). Using the lesson plans in the book, the teachers and staff teach the Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday classes. The Friday visit also includes a fire truck tour.

We are a combination department with 8 full time staff (Deputy Chief, myself, 3 Shift Captains and 3 Driver/Operators) and roughly 70 volunteer firefighters, drivers, juniors, support members and dispatchers covering roughly 200 square miles and a population of 17, 000 from 7 stations. We do about 1800 EMS ALS First Response, technical rescue and fire runs per year.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
    Working...
    X