X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johnsb
    replied
    Originally posted by Daniel Byrne View Post
    All very good thoughts and I was just curious as to the thoughts out there. My concern is more for public safety. While the disasters mentioned (WTC) are unique, I was referring to residential or commercial fires. In a WTC situation the danger of rescue is obvious, but in a residential or commercial fire, where flashover is occurring in 3-5 minutes, and the incapacitating toxins are not so obvious, what is the correct answer.

I think recognition can also be a teachable moment. In recognizing the rescuer, you can also illustrate the dangers of performing the rescue. I think the key is taking the opportunity to educate.
    Your second paragraph just answered your question.

Leave a comment:

• Daniel Byrne
    replied
    All very good thoughts and I was just curious as to the thoughts out there. My concern is more for public safety. While the disasters mentioned (WTC) are unique, I was referring to residential or commercial fires. In a WTC situation the danger of rescue is obvious, but in a residential or commercial fire, where flashover is occurring in 3-5 minutes, and the incapacitating toxins are not so obvious, what is the correct answer.

I think recognition can also be a teachable moment. In recognizing the rescuer, you can also illustrate the dangers of performing the rescue. I think the key is taking the opportunity to educate.

Leave a comment:

• Bones42
    replied
    Is it a good idea to acknowledge the many civilians that helped many other civilians during the WTC incidents? Is it a good idea to acknowledge the civilians that helped other civilians during the Italian cruise ship disaster? Is it a good idea to acknowledge the citizens on Flight 93? Is it a good idea to acknowledge the civilians that pulled victims from a burning car, saving those victims lives?

We have, to date, acknowledged 4 civilians and 7 LEO's for things they have done at fire scenes. None of them have made a habit of running into buildings.

If that acknowledgement (of simply being a normal human being) causes people in your area to help other people in times of need.....is that a bad thing?

If that acknowledgement causes people to perform reckless things...you must be doing some awfully special acknowledgement.

Leave a comment:

• LaFireEducator
    replied
    In my opinion, no.

We as a service should no be encouraging, and by publicly acknolwledging his/her's actions, civilians entering burning structures. it simply makes no sense to tell the public how deadly and dangerous fire is and then make a big ta-do about them going into that enviroment before the fire department arrives.

Leave a comment:

• yjbrody
    replied
    Are your concerns dept liability or citizen safety?

If dept liability I could see your concerns, but you can also take the opportunity during the public acknowledgement to remind people to get out, stay out and call the FD. I think you are acknowledging their concern for their fellow citizen, not their actions. Play down that they ran into a burning building and more focus on the fact that they helped someone else in their time of need.

If citizen safety then there isn't much you can do. People are either going to go it to help someone or they won't. Whether they know it's safe or not because a dept told them isn't going to play into their decision making at that time. At that point they aren't doing it because they might get some cert or award from the FD.

Just my thoughts.

Leave a comment:

• Daniel Byrne
    started a topic Good idea or not?

Good idea or not?

Is it a good idea to publicly acknowledge a citizen who put out a fire or ran into a burning building to save a life? Would that not encourage, with fire department endorsements, others to do the same?

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X