No announcement yet.

Truss/Lightweight Building Marking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do we really need to put some type of marker on a each new residence that trusses are there? We should assume they are truss built in this day and time. Also, personally, I would not want a "T" or something on my house. Maybe a different colored mailbox (if you have them) or a "T" at the beginning of the numbers on the mailbox. I completely agree with commercial or neighborhood, but individual residences I would need a closer look. If you had trusses in a newly constructed residence, what would you do different than if it was ridgepole and rafters in a newly constructed residence?

Comment

Originally posted by Spencer534 View Post
      Do we really need to put some type of marker on a each new residence that trusses are there? We should assume they are truss built in this day and time. Also, personally, I would not want a "T" or something on my house. Maybe a different colored mailbox (if you have them) or a "T" at the beginning of the numbers on the mailbox. I completely agree with commercial or neighborhood, but individual residences I would need a closer look.
      I agree. The "T" should be on the street sign out on the road, if at all.

Shame one you if you don't know how the new buildings are being built in your district.
      I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

11111111111n a fire.
        Last edited by InsuranceLCRep; 01-01-2012, 12:54 PM.
        Fire Sprinklers Save Firefighters’ Lives Too!

Comment

We should assume they are truss built in this day and time.
          You would be surprised at how many builders around here still stick-frame houses.
          "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

Do we really need to put some type of marker on a each new residence that trusses are there? We should assume they are truss built in this day and time. ...

If you had trusses in a newly constructed residence, what would you do different than if it was ridgepole and rafters in a newly constructed residence?
            While I'm somewhat in agreement, how many of your personnel can readily identify all the construction eras of older homes in your community right now? Builder's are fairly cleaver at making new homes look old and old home look new. We can assume all the new houses contain some form of lightweight construction materials, but who will know in 20-30 years? Aren't there hundreds of things we wished our predecessors did a few decades ago that would make things much easier today?

As for changing how we operate? Roofs to me aren't as big an issue as wood I beams in floors or glu-lams carrying large spans. More importantly is knowing when updates are done to a home that include truss joists or other "unanticipated" materials given the age of the home.

We're still convinced we can make this a go with a smaller residential marker at the electrical entrance or other less obtrusive location on SFD's. I'll let you know as it plays out.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
            Working...
            X