Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Fire Alarm Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Alarm Question

I have always considered walk-in coolers/freezers as "unoccupiable" spaces when reviewing fire alarm plans and consequently have not required A/V coverage. Last week, I conducted the final inspection on a new restuarant in our jurisdiction, and found a meat cutting station set up inside of a two compartment walk-in. Has anyone else come across this application, and if so, how was it addressed?

Affirmative. Had them place a strobe only inside the unit.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

Thank you very much.

Comment

Make sure they drop sprinklers down into the walk-in as well if the bldg is equipped with sprinklers!!!!!

Comment

Coolers can absolutely be occupied for long periods of time, and with the insulation and construction of a cooler, it is entirely possible they will not hear an alarm outside the cooler. While restaurants typically will not have coolers large enough for people to spend long periods of time in, grocery stores and storage facilities can. While it is up to your jurisdiction to determine when to require a H/S inside a cooler, one that I have heard from several AHJs is 100 square foot coolers and larger they require a H/S.

Comment

Walk-in coolers should be considered "occupied". NFPA 72 addresses this issue. H/S are required if you cannot see or hear a audible/visible device.

Also, I believe NFPA 72 requires audible devices to be above a certain decibel level. Take a decibel meter into the cooler with you and close the door. Activate the alarm, if the decibel meter doesn't register, have them add one.
            The most important task on the fireground is the one YOU have!

Comment

Originally posted by CrnkB8 View Post
              Walk-in coolers should be considered "occupied". NFPA 72 addresses this issue. H/S are required if you cannot see or hear a audible/visible device.

Also, I believe NFPA 72 requires audible devices to be above a certain decibel level. Take a decibel meter into the cooler with you and close the door. Activate the alarm, if the decibel meter doesn't register, have them add one.
              I take exception to the audible requirement in small enclosed spaces (such as this, or bathrooms, etc.) due to the volume of most devices. I believe that there is an exception in 72 somewhere allowing visual only in cases like this.

Comment

Originally posted by FWDbuff View Post
                I take exception to the audible requirement in small enclosed spaces (such as this, or bathrooms, etc.) due to the volume of most devices. I believe that there is an exception in 72 somewhere allowing visual only in cases like this.
                You may be correct. After some research:

NFPA 72, 18.4.4 Private Mode Audible Requirements.

18.4.4.1* To ensure that audible private mode signals are clearly heard, they shall have a sound level at least 10 dB above the average ambient sound level or 5 dB above the maximum sound level having a duration of at least 60 seconds, whichever is greater, measured 5 ft (1.5 m) above the floor in the area required to be served by the system using the A-weighted scale (dBA).

18.4.4.2* Where approved by the authority having jurisdiction or other governing codes or standards, the requirements for audible signaling shall be permitted to be reduced or eliminated when visible signaling is provided in accordance with Section 18.5.

And 18.5 takes you to: Visible Characteristics — Public Mode

Back to the original poster - Is there any notification appliance in this room?
                The most important task on the fireground is the one YOU have!

Comment

Thanks to all for the input.

We routinely require sprinkler drops into coolers but not A/V devices. This cooler does not currently have a notification device inside but I will be making a site visit on Monday and breaking the news to the owner.

Part of the problem in this instance is the FA plans are very basic. They don't indicate anything other than "freezer". How much detail do you require on your FA plans? And, if you don't require lots of detail, do you rely on your final inspection to identify issues like this?

Comment

Originally posted by oconnell107 View Post
                    Part of the problem in this instance is the FA plans are very basic. They don't indicate anything other than "freezer". How much detail do you require on your FA plans? And, if you don't require lots of detail, do you rely on your final inspection to identify issues like this?
                    How much detail would the Alarm System Designer know to include? Was he privy to the fact that it was to be an occupied space? Of course the more detailed the better, but you can't stand over the owner of the space, the alarm system designer, and the overall Design Professional with a gun. And the final inspection is absolutely the place to identify issues like this.

It boils down to failure to properly communicate all of the needed knowledge. I see it as a simple mistake- restaurant owner and/or design professional did not realize that the freezer would be an occupied space as defined by 72. My suggestion- make them fix it but don't punish them. Grant a temporary/conditional U & O, requiring that a visual device be installed within 30 days. I think that is more than fair.

Comment

You're right - garbage in, garbage out - but this particular problem is going to self-correct. I found out today that they business is doing so well that they are going to add another cooler outside, move the meat station there, and use that interior space for storage.

I'll be able to address the FA when they install the new cooler.

Comment

How much detail would the oca exam Alarm System Designer know to include? Was he privy to the fact that it was to be an occupied space? Of course the more detailed the better, but you can't stand over the owner of the space, the alarm system designer, and the overall Design Professional with a gun. And the final inspection is absolutely the oracle 10g dba place to identify issues like this.

Comment

re:Fire Alarm Question

Allied Protection offer Maintenance of fire safety systems. Our dedicated team of Fire Alarm engineers carry out annual servicing contracts and 24 hours a day emergency cover.

Emergency Lighting Systems

Comment

Originally posted by FWDbuff View Post
                            How much detail would the Alarm System Designer know to include? Was he privy to the fact that it was to be an occupied space? Of course the more detailed the better, but you can't stand over the owner of the space, the alarm system designer, and the overall Design Professional with a gun. And the final inspection is absolutely the place to identify issues like this.

It boils down to failure to properly communicate all of the needed knowledge. I see it as a simple mistake- restaurant owner and/or design professional did not realize that the freezer would be an occupied space as defined by 72. My suggestion- make them fix it but don't punish them. Grant a temporary/conditional U & O, requiring that a visual device be installed within 30 days. I think that is more than fair.
                            I used to do this, but after having to fight with owners on many occasions (mostly politically "connected"), I quit giving "Temporary/Conditional Certificate of Occupancy" as it becomes really difficult to make a business "Unoccupy" once they have opened.
                            everyonegoeshome.com

Comment

Originally posted by bcjack View Post
                              I used to do this, but after having to fight with owners on many occasions (mostly politically "connected"), I quit giving "Temporary/Conditional Certificate of Occupancy" as it becomes really difficult to make a business "Unoccupy" once they have opened.
                              1. When it comes to life safety, I dont kowtow to politicians, that is made plain and clear every time. I tell them "If thats the way you want it, you can give me that in writing, and you can sign the use and occupancy certificate." The Politicians here usually dont get involved in my shop, but when they do, and it concerns life safety, they usually butt out after I explain the situation. I do have the video of the Station Nightclub fire in my "favorites" in youtube; so if I ever have to I can just play that for them and say "Not on my watch."

2. No they dont have to un-occupy but they do have pay the citations (usually $1000 per day for every day the violation exists, in this case whatever was required to obtain a permanent U & O) Also I have avery good solicitor who excels in obtaining temporary restraining orders (TRO's) forcing the business to lock the doors unless they comply. Have only had to go that route twice in the last 5 years though.
                              Last edited by FWDbuff; 08-16-2012, 11:12 AM.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X