Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Dog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog?

Does anybody work with a dog? What type of breed makes the best accelerant dog? Also if you guys have any good websites, please feel free to leave them. I am not an investigator, but I am doing some research on the breed, for the department. Our investigator asked me to look into the dog breeds for him.

Any help is appreciated, thanks. And stay safe.
    CADET WFPD

A nearby departmetn has just gotten a dog. Not sure on any details. I did Google arson dog and a slew of stuff came up, a wide range of schools and stories about.

I have heard that lab's make good ones as they have a wide range of smell and able to differentiate between them and that Sate Farm has grants they give to train the dogs.

Good luck...

Be safe, R2

Comment

The City of Philadelphia has had 3 accelerant dogs over the years in their Fire Marshals Office. If you can get a hold of the Lt down there who is partners with the dog I am sure he will be more then happy to help you.

Comment

The two programs I know of are free (ATF & State Farm). The dogs are usually labs, but I am sure there are plenty of other breeds out there. The ATF does training for detection dogs and if you get in their program, the dog and training is free (depending on their budget). Here is the link for State Farm's program.

http://www.statefarm.com/about/part_.../arson_dog.asp

Comment

This is what an ATF agent told me:
          ATF only uses Labs. They are a smart breed and they have the right temperment. When you become a K-9 handler, the K-9 becomes a member of the family. Another child if you will. Its important to have a K-9 that can live and interact with other family members. Labs are best suited for that.
          sigpic
          When fire is cried and danger is neigh,
          "God and the firemen" is the people's cry;
          But when 'tis out and all things righted,
          God is forgotten and the firemen slighted.
          ~Author unknown, from The Fireman's Journal, 18 Oct 1879

Comment

dogs

I have trained 8 search and rescue dogs and two were beagles. They have a very good nose and are smaller so they can get into places where a big dog can't. I clicker train them so it is all a positive training. It is all click and treat. My dogs were trained to do 60 different behaviors and they are very fast and smart. Anymore info you would like just let me know and I will be happy to fill you in.

Comment

I am a handler who is working my second K-9. Both have been Labrador's and trained by ATF. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions that you have.
              K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
              EVERYONE GOES HOME
              IACOJ

Comment

I am a K-9 handler with a municipal FD. Sadie is a state Farm dog, and she is the FD's second dog. E-mail any questions that you may have,
                Richard Howard
                Evansville Fire Department (Indiana)
                [email protected]

Comment

I work for a private fire investigation company, we have a Golden Retriever, he is a good boy, lives in family very well and is a very good partner, we even go sailing with him. But I would say that a lab is better because it is a little lighter and smaller.

Comment

Contact the Chillicothe, Ohio FD. The Assistant Chief there is a friend of mine. He has a Chocolate Lab as an arson dog.
                    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X