Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Origin and Cause Basics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Origin and Cause Basics

I am young (23yoa) and am getting interested in origin and cause investigation. I am going through alot of the programs on cfitrainer.net and try to find all the information I can. Does anyone know where I can find information on burn patterns, fire dynamics, etc on origin and cause investigation? I am looking to start with the basic so any information would help. Thanks
    Dave

From another young guy I would recommend a few things. First if you haven't done so already get your hands on a copy of NFPA 921 and Kirks Fire Investigation. Take a read though them. Sit down with a dictionary too in case there are some words you don't understand. Also if you have a local college that offers courses in fire/arson investigation take them. Same thing with the local fire school. Talk with your local FM to see if you can come out and dig out with them; you would be surprised what you can learn from working with someone.

Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by ziggy171 View Post
      I am young (23yoa) and am getting interested in origin and cause investigation. I am going through alot of the programs on cfitrainer.net and try to find all the information I can. Does anyone know where I can find information on burn patterns, fire dynamics, etc on origin and cause investigation? I am looking to start with the basic so any information would help. Thanks
      Dave
      What is your end goal?
      Do you want to work as a public or private investigator?
      Are you a serial arsonist in training...Just kidding!!
      Do you have a degree?
      If you want to be a fire investigator you will need to get certified.
      It is generally accepted that there are four different organizations that offer a certification program recognized by the courts.
      1. State certification offered most commonly through Public Safety academies
      2. National Association of Fire Investigators.
      3. International Association of Arson Investigators. 4-5 year internship
      4. Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms and Explosives, you must be federal agent with ATF and complete a 2 year apprentice program that includes investigating 100 fires. Complete additional college courses. You have to complete a research project and publish a paper on the research project.
      Again what is you end goal?
      sigpic
      When fire is cried and danger is neigh,
      "God and the firemen" is the people's cry;
      But when 'tis out and all things righted,
      God is forgotten and the firemen slighted.
      ~Author unknown, from The Fireman's Journal, 18 Oct 1879

Comment

goals

First off, thanks for the replies. Basically our FD Investigator will be retiring in the next 4-5 years and I would love to take over or at least be well on my way by that time. Then, from there could look around at Insurance Co. or something like that. I know the Illinois State Fire Marshal does a CFI Certification and the IFSI (Illinois Fire Service Institute) has Origin and Cause awareness and also a 3 module program. Those would be some places to start looking as well. I didn't know if there was another good website like cfitrainer.net that went more over basics. Thanks again.
        Dave

Comment

Originally posted by ziggy171 View Post
          First off, thanks for the replies. Basically our FD Investigator will be retiring in the next 4-5 years and I would love to take over or at least be well on my way by that time. Then, from there could look around at Insurance Co. or something like that. I know the Illinois State Fire Marshal does a CFI Certification and the IFSI (Illinois Fire Service Institute) has Origin and Cause awareness and also a 3 module program. Those would be some places to start looking as well. I didn't know if there was another good website like cfitrainer.net that went more over basics. Thanks again.
          Dave
          What you are going to need is experience. You will need experience to get any certification as an investigator. Experience and education are some of the key factors you will need to give testimony in court. You need to start mentoring under your department’s investigator now. IAAI certification requires 4-5 years experience along with a list of other requirements just to be eligible to test for their certification. All certification programs have similar requirements. You need to start working fire scenes and document everything you do. When you submit a application for certification you will have to prove you are eligable to test.
          sigpic
          When fire is cried and danger is neigh,
          "God and the firemen" is the people's cry;
          But when 'tis out and all things righted,
          God is forgotten and the firemen slighted.
          ~Author unknown, from The Fireman's Journal, 18 Oct 1879

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X