fire cause and origin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fire cause and origin

im looking for some information on fire cause and origin but can't find anything with some good information so if anybody could post something or where to get good information i'd appreciate it.

NFPA 921 I believe

Comment

What exactly are you looking for. NFPA 921 is a good start as stated. You may also want to check out Kirk's Fire Investigation, it also has some very good information. Another source of information is your local department (that is if you are not already a member) or one nearby.
      K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
      EVERYONE GOES HOME
      IACOJ

Comment

i work for a dept. but i need to teach about cause and origin and i can't find any good information on it and we dont really have much about it at my dept. i mostly need like an outline or something that i can print off the internet somewhere but i just can;t find anything.

Comment

Online Source for Arson stuff

try www.cfitrainer.net

Comment

SUGGESTED READING MATERIAL

http://www.fema.gov United States Fire Administration FA-178 07/97
            Fire Burn Tests - FREE

http://www.nfpa.org National Fire Protection Association
            #1 Batterymarch Park, P.O. Box 9101
            Quincy, MA 02269-9101
            1-800-344-3555

N.F.P.A. 921 2001 Edition Guide for Fire & Explosion Investigations Item # 92101 List
            $44.50 Member $40.05

N.F.P.A. 1033 2003 Edition Standard Professional Qualifications for Fire Investigators
            Item # 103303 List $23.50 Member $21.15

N.F.P.A. 901 2001 Edition Standard Classification for Incident Reporting &
            Fire Protection Data Item #90101 List $36.75 Member $33.08

N.F.PA . 906 1998 Edition Guide for Fire Incident Field Notes Item #90698
            List $27.75 Member $24.98

NFPA #FGFI03 Field Guide for Fire Investigators List $45.00 Member $40.50
            NFPA's Field Guide is your direct link to the information you need to
            conduct thorough and accurate investigations!

NFPA # 921GD03 A User’s Manual to NFPA 921
            Written by the International Association of Arson Investigators and
            published by NFPA, A User’s Manual to NFPA 921 features easy-to-
            understand language so you can be sure that you thoroughly grasp the
            “what”, “where”, “when”, “how” and “why” of every aspect of the
            investigation process List $70.00 Member $63.00

Explosion Investigation and Analysis: Kennedy on Explosions
            http://www.investigationsinstitute.com/ [email protected]
            Item # 0-9607876-2-3 $69.95 451 Pages over 200 Illustrations

Ignition Handbook By: Vytenis Babrauskas, Ph.D. Published by Fire Science Publishers, Issaquah WA, USA. Co-published by the Society of Fire Protection Engineers.
            ISBN: 0-9728111-3-3. List price $198.00
            Ignition Handbook Database on (CD-ROM) By Vytenis Babrauskas, Ph.D. Published by Fire Science Publishers, Issaquah WA, USA. ISBN: 0-9728111-4-1. List price $60.00
            Internet Site: http://www.doctorfire.com/fsp_index.html

http://www.ifsta.org International Fire Service Training Association
            Fire Protection Publications, Oklahoma State University
            930 N. Willis, Stillwater, Oklahoma 74078-8045
            1-800-654-4055
            Fire Investigator; First Edition ©2000 ISBN 0-87939-182-0 Item # 36425 $28.00

Introduction to Fire Origin & Cause Second Edition ISBN 0-87939-147-2 Item # 36022 $25.00

Safety and Health Guidelines for Fire and Explosion Investigators
            ISBN: 0-87939-207-X, BS6151 Price $45.00

Kirk’s Fire Investigation 4th Edition
            John D DeHaan
            November 1996 by Prentice Hall © 1997
            ISBN 0-8359-5056-5

Kirk’s Fire Investigation 5th Edition
            Dr. John D. Dehaan
            Published January 2002 by Prentice Hall © 2002
            ISBN 0-13-060458-5

Forensic Fire Scene Reconstruction
            David J. Icove, John D. DeHaan
            ISBN: 0130942057
            Format: Hardcover, 400pp
            Pub. Date: August 2003

Investigation of Motor Vehicle Fires, 4th edition Lee Cole
            The 4th edition of our best seller has more than 80 new pages of information and photos, and is the one book you can't do without. Written by the vehicle fire expert, Lee S. Cole, it includes data the author has learned from fire experiments and investigations he has conducted during the last 30 years. Chapters cover everything from cause and origin to arson, combustible temperatures and explosions. Many high quality photographs help to convey all the information. Hardback. Only $49.95
            ISBN: 0939818299

Arson for Profit 2nd Edition D.J. Icove, V.B. Wherry, J.D. Schroder Battelle Press
            505 King Avenue Columbus, OH 43201 ISBN # 1-57477-023-3

Fire Findings
            616 Main Street/ P.O. Box 43
            St. Joseph, MI 49085-0043
            www.firefindings.com
            Fire Findings is available at $43.00 Per Year.

Law Enforcement Technology Magazine
            “Free for Investigators”
            Reader Service Center
            519 E. Briarcliff Road
            Bolingbrook, IL 60440-3003
            www.Law-Enforcement.com
            Evidence Technology Magazine
            Wordsmith Publishing
            P.O. Box 555
            Kearney, MO 64060-9903
            816-628-4841

American Society for Testing and Materials
            100 Barr Drive, West Conshohocken PA 19428
            http://www.astm.org

E860-97 Standard Practice for Examining and Testing Items That are or May Become
            Involved in Litigation

E1188-95 Standard Practice for Collection and Preservation of Information and Physical Items
            by a Technical Investigator

E1492-92 Standard Practice for Receiving, Documenting, Storing and Retrieving Evidence in
            a Forensic Laboratory

E678-98 Standard Practice for Evaluation of Technical Data

E620-97 Standard Practice for Reporting Opinions of Technical Experts

E1459-98 Standard Guide for Physical Evidence Labeling and Related Documentation
            E1020-96 Standard Practice for Reporting Incidents

E1591-00 Standard Guide for Obtaining Data for Deterministic Fire Models

E1472-92 (1998) Standard Guide for Documenting Computer Software for Fire Models

E1355-97 Standard Guide for Evaluating the Predictive Capability of Deterministic Fire Models

E1895 Standard Guide for Determining Uses and Limitations of Deterministic Fire Models

E2159-01 Standard Guide for Selection, Assignment & Monitoring of Persons to be Utilized as
            Assessors and Auditors or Technical Experts

Comment

The NFA has a course called Arson Detection for the Company Officer (or something like that) that might be right up your alley as well.
              ullrichk
              a.k.a.
              perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Comment

Instead of trying to teach an important class such as this one on your own, find a CFI and have him come in and give a good primer for your department. I am sure you could dig someone up from either the public or private side. Most experienced investigators enjoy teaching to non-investigator fire service people. It makes our job easier as investigators when suppression people have some clue on how the process works...And what THEIR responsibilities entail when the need for a fire investigation arises. I usually do an hour or so on my shift on this subject every 6 months or so.
                IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Comment

If you can find it, NIST did some very good videos on flashover in different settings (residence, office, etc). Not really origin related, but it's good to see nonetheless.

If you have a community college near where you live that has a fire science program, go take some classes there. I'm working on an associate's in Fire Science right now, and one of the best classes I've taken so far is my arson investigation. Very good stuff to know.

Comment

Sire to check

www.interfire.org has some info also.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse