Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

melted carpet v. flammable liquid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• melted carpet v. flammable liquid

In my capacity as deputy prosecutor, I have a jury trial where the issue is the carpet melting and pooling and then leaving flammable liquid burn patterns. My experts say this is bogus, and I feel it is too, but the first jury hung on this. This is our second round. The fire was in the incipient phase and didn't have a chance to get too far. This carpet had a plastic backing, not a jute backing. Has anyone done any test burns with carpet, or know of any studies that have done it?

I would suggest you check with the National Institute of Standards and Technology. If there has been any scientific testing done of this nature, they've done it. There contact info from their website:

Building and Fire
    Research Laboratory
    NIST
    100 Bureau Drive, Stop 8600
    Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8600
    (301) 975-5900
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Comment

This is a fairly complex issue. There is a USFA Publication (USFA Fire Pattern Burn Pattern Tests) FA 178 that should help you. The NIST suggesiton is always my first stop when I am doing research.

Can I assume that your lab samples are negative? If they were positive I would imagine that you would not have this battle. If they are negative, this is a huge hill to climb.

In my experience, nylon carpet with plastic backing does not pool like a liquid. If a liquid was used, there should be a rather sharp demarcation line between what is burned and what is not burned. Also, what does the floor look like under the carpeting? If the carpet simply melted, I would not expect to see a pattern on the floor under it.

You can email me at [email protected] if you would like some detailed help.
      PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Comment

I'd have fire.nist.gov bookmarked if I were you, but George certainly seems to give sound advice.

Something you might want to think about however:

Nylon is incapable of producing a self sustaining combustion reaction. It will oxidize but the radiant feedback is too weak to continue to liberate comustibles if the ignition energy is removed.

Consider also most Nylon melting points are in the area of 500F, some much higher. A run of the mill compartment fire will generally be incapable of raising the temperature of the carpet that high for any appreciable amount of time before flashover. And once flashover occurs the the compartment is fully developed, the carpet will burn and char, not melt and pool.

I don't know any specifics of the fire compartment or circumstances but it sounds very suspicious to me.

Comment

I should have read better, the fire never reached flashover.

I am no expert but I do have a degree and experience with flammability properties of polyamides and I would be very, very doubtful (read: next to impossible) the flux produced by a fire in growth stage would be enough to melt the plastic backing of the carpet through the insulating properties of the nylon pile, and then find oxygen to burn and leave a pool pattern on the floor?

I smell male bovine excrement.

I wish I could be more helpful in terms of studies, but besides NIST check the SFPE Handbook.

Comment

I have performed multiple test on carpeting and carpet padding. There were a number of factors in these test. One factor was the age of the carpeting and the padding. We found that most the carpeting melted but the padding of the foam and plastic once ignited melted and pooled. One of the test was conducted on a stair case. The padding not only showed pooling but it also produced flaming fall down from one step onto another igniting the step below. I documented these test with pictures. I had no way of telling what type of carpet or padding I was using since it was a section of used carpet from another area of the fire building. I did save a sample of both these materials and would be willing to share them with you if you so desire. Also in these test we used cigarettes to see if we could ignite the carpet and lit matches throwing them on the carpet. We were unable to get the carpet to ignite in this manner. We also used lighter fluid squirting it on the carpet. It seemed once the fluid was consumed the carpet had a burn pattern consisted with the pouring or squirting of the fluid. I seem to recall the fire going out once the ignitible liquid was consumed. Samples were taken and sent to the lab with positive hits of a light distillate consistant with lighter fluid. There were negative results in the areas remote from the fluid. I realize that there could be other variables in this test but it did answer the question, Is it possible to get a burn pattern consistant with a pour from some carpet or padding? The answer I found to the hypothesis in this situation is yes. I had the oportunity to investigate a number of fires where the structure was vacant and the room in question had wall to wall carpeting and padding. Samples were taken with the use of a canine and a hydrocarbon sniffer. The canine hit on multiple areas of the room and a sample was taken from each area and sent away to our lab. All samples came back negative with a minor hint of turpines commonly found in pine wood. Needless to say the floor was constructed with the old tung and groove pine wood boards.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
            Working...
            X