Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Light Bulb Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light Bulb Question

Currently in an investigations class at our local community college. Our instructor gave an assignment in which I can not seem to locate the answer and hoping someone can help me. Instructor wants us to find out what happens to tempetures around a standard light bulb when the bulb is hanging down, sideways and rightside up. Already found out how to tell if the bulb was on or off during the fire and the bulb is broken, anyhelp would be appreciated.

I am told that the heat flow around a bulb will cause it to bend in the direction that the fire was coming from but I have no personal knowledge of seeing it.

Originally posted by mccookfire36
    Currently in an investigations class at our local community college. Our instructor gave an assignment in which I can not seem to locate the answer and hoping someone can help me. Instructor wants us to find out what happens to tempetures around a standard light bulb when the bulb is hanging down, sideways and rightside up. Already found out how to tell if the bulb was on or off during the fire and the bulb is broken, anyhelp would be appreciated.

Comment

Not Light Bulb......

DARK SUCKER!!!!!!!!

Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
      Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
      Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
      — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Comment

You guys were a lot of help.

If you check Kirk's Fourth Ed., you will find a chart on page 123. This informaiton has been removed from the Fifth Ed., so you might want to find out why.
        PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Comment

Originally posted by doughesson
          I am told that the heat flow around a bulb will cause it to bend in the direction that the fire was coming from but I have no personal knowledge of seeing it.
          It will elongate towards the direction of the fire.
          Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
          RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
          Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Comment

I believe he is looking for info on light bulbs as ignition sources.
            PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Comment

light bulbs

as mentioned by several other the bulb will pull towards the heat. sometimes they are still that way when i arrive to investigate fires. Have seen it many times. However have seen more of them broken out than still in position and distorted. It also depends on wether they are vacumm filled bulbs which act differently.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
                I believe he is looking for info on light bulbs as ignition sources.
                That is how I read it also. The Little red handbooks that I believe some insurance institute puts out has the listings of light bulb temeratures when the bulb is positioned with the base up, down and sideways. I have one of those booklets buried someplace at home... if I can find it, I'll post the answers.....

Richard Nester
                Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Comment

Ok.. here is a partial answer, from, "A Pocket Guide to Arson and Fire Investigation", Third Edition 1990 Factory Mutual Engineering Corp.

They list several temperatures for various wattage light bulbs, and then note that the temperatures listed "are based on mounting with base up in a 77 (degree) F ambient. The temperatures vary, however, depending on the mounting position and the particular point on the bulb."

Using their examples for a 200 watt bulb:

Base up mounting ---- 307 degrees F
                  Base side mounting --- up to 493 degrees F

I know that does not help a lot, but there is a difference, so I am sure the answers you need are out there somewhere. Hopefully you can find Kirk's 4th edition to get all the information you need to meet your instructor's expectations.
                  Richard Nester
                  Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Comment

Originally posted by mccookfire36
                    You can find your information in Kirks Fire Investigation fourth edition on page 123 and the fifth edition on page 154.

Comment

AAHH the mistery of light bulbs

I made a display of some of the light bulbs that I was lucky to be able to obtain. We just had a fire that had a beutifull display of two light bulbs that was hanging from the ceiling. One was hanging directly above the fire load and the other was about 8' from the other and was telling me rite where the fire was the heavest, it was like it wanted to tell me a story.
                      I,am note sure if I can send U a pic or not but if U R interested let me know.

by 4 now & be safe!!

Comment

Not sure if this will help but from the courses I have taken they say that a bulb 40 watts or under will suck in to the center of the bulb and if the bulb is over 40 watts this is were you get your "pointing" to the heat source.

Comment

Originally posted by captain407
                          Not sure if this will help but from the courses I have taken they say that a bulb 40 watts or under will suck in to the center of the bulb and if the bulb is over 40 watts this is were you get your "pointing" to the heat source.
                          According to 921 and Kirks the magic number is 25 watts.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X