Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Light Bulb Question

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Light Bulb Question

    Currently in an investigations class at our local community college. Our instructor gave an assignment in which I can not seem to locate the answer and hoping someone can help me. Instructor wants us to find out what happens to tempetures around a standard light bulb when the bulb is hanging down, sideways and rightside up. Already found out how to tell if the bulb was on or off during the fire and the bulb is broken, anyhelp would be appreciated.

  • #2
    I am told that the heat flow around a bulb will cause it to bend in the direction that the fire was coming from but I have no personal knowledge of seeing it.


    Originally posted by mccookfire36
    Currently in an investigations class at our local community college. Our instructor gave an assignment in which I can not seem to locate the answer and hoping someone can help me. Instructor wants us to find out what happens to tempetures around a standard light bulb when the bulb is hanging down, sideways and rightside up. Already found out how to tell if the bulb was on or off during the fire and the bulb is broken, anyhelp would be appreciated.

    Comment


    • #3
      Not Light Bulb......

      DARK SUCKER!!!!!!!!

      Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
      Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
      Paincourtville, LA

      "I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
      — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

      Comment


      • #4
        You guys were a lot of help.

        If you check Kirk's Fourth Ed., you will find a chart on page 123. This informaiton has been removed from the Fifth Ed., so you might want to find out why.
        PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by doughesson
          I am told that the heat flow around a bulb will cause it to bend in the direction that the fire was coming from but I have no personal knowledge of seeing it.
          It will elongate towards the direction of the fire.
          Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

          IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

          "No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
          RUSH-Tom Sawyer

          Success is when skill meets opportunity
          Failure is when fantasy meets reality

          Comment


          • #6
            I believe he is looking for info on light bulbs as ignition sources.
            PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

            Comment


            • #7
              light bulbs

              as mentioned by several other the bulb will pull towards the heat. sometimes they are still that way when i arrive to investigate fires. Have seen it many times. However have seen more of them broken out than still in position and distorted. It also depends on wether they are vacumm filled bulbs which act differently.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
                I believe he is looking for info on light bulbs as ignition sources.
                That is how I read it also. The Little red handbooks that I believe some insurance institute puts out has the listings of light bulb temeratures when the bulb is positioned with the base up, down and sideways. I have one of those booklets buried someplace at home... if I can find it, I'll post the answers.....

                Richard Nester
                Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

                "People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

                Comment


                • #9
                  Ok.. here is a partial answer, from, "A Pocket Guide to Arson and Fire Investigation", Third Edition 1990 Factory Mutual Engineering Corp.

                  They list several temperatures for various wattage light bulbs, and then note that the temperatures listed "are based on mounting with base up in a 77 (degree) F ambient. The temperatures vary, however, depending on the mounting position and the particular point on the bulb."

                  Using their examples for a 200 watt bulb:

                  Base up mounting ---- 307 degrees F
                  Base side mounting --- up to 493 degrees F

                  I know that does not help a lot, but there is a difference, so I am sure the answers you need are out there somewhere. Hopefully you can find Kirk's 4th edition to get all the information you need to meet your instructor's expectations.
                  Richard Nester
                  Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

                  "People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by mccookfire36
                    Currently in an investigations class at our local community college. Our instructor gave an assignment in which I can not seem to locate the answer and hoping someone can help me. Instructor wants us to find out what happens to tempetures around a standard light bulb when the bulb is hanging down, sideways and rightside up. Already found out how to tell if the bulb was on or off during the fire and the bulb is broken, anyhelp would be appreciated.
                    You can find your information in Kirks Fire Investigation fourth edition on page 123 and the fifth edition on page 154.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      AAHH the mistery of light bulbs

                      I made a display of some of the light bulbs that I was lucky to be able to obtain. We just had a fire that had a beutifull display of two light bulbs that was hanging from the ceiling. One was hanging directly above the fire load and the other was about 8' from the other and was telling me rite where the fire was the heavest, it was like it wanted to tell me a story.
                      I,am note sure if I can send U a pic or not but if U R interested let me know.

                      by 4 now & be safe!!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Not sure if this will help but from the courses I have taken they say that a bulb 40 watts or under will suck in to the center of the bulb and if the bulb is over 40 watts this is were you get your "pointing" to the heat source.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by captain407
                          Not sure if this will help but from the courses I have taken they say that a bulb 40 watts or under will suck in to the center of the bulb and if the bulb is over 40 watts this is were you get your "pointing" to the heat source.
                          According to 921 and Kirks the magic number is 25 watts.

                          Comment

                          300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                          Collapse

                          Upper 300x250

                          Collapse

                          Taboola

                          Collapse

                          Leader

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X