Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Digital cameras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital cameras

Good morning everyone,

Our department is looking at purchasing a digital camera for investigation purposes. I have 2 questions

1. Are you using digital?
    2. What camera are you using (make and model)

Thanks for your time

Mike

We here in the Montgomery County (Texas) Fire Marshal's Office have been using digital for a couple of years. We use the Sony Mavica camera that uses the small disk. ou can get up to 70 or 80 photos on one disk. The photo disk can be stored like negatives, in an evidence bag, for example, to maintain chain of custody of the photos. You just print out the photos that you need. No film cost; no development cost. The cameras cost about $800. sb

Comment

I would look at getting a better quality camra than the Mavica. I know the ones I have seen/used don't take very good pics when it comes to blowing them up. I, personally, like my Kodak. Have never had any problems with it. Easy to use, great pictures......
      The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
      We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
      IACOJ

Comment

You may be thinking of the older 3.5 floppy Mavicas. We have one that is now collecting dust (it has been replaced with a more modern Fuji).

The new Mavica that burns mini CD's, however is a different animal. I know it's available in 3.5 megapixel and I believe a 5 megapixel as well. Either would be adequate, but the higher resolution works better for enlarging.

I have the 3.5 megapixel model for personal use. I like it because my wife is more or less computer-challenged. She has trouble learning new software, but she can load a CD just fine.
        ullrichk
        a.k.a.
        perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Comment

Originally posted by ullrichk
          You may be thinking of the older 3.5 floppy Mavicas. We have one that is now collecting dust (it has been replaced with a more modern Fuji).

The new Mavica that burns mini CD's, however is a different animal. I know it's available in 3.5 megapixel and I believe a 5 megapixel as well. Either would be adequate, but the higher resolution works better for enlarging.

I have the 3.5 megapixel model for personal use. I like it because my wife is more or less computer-challenged. She has trouble learning new software, but she can load a CD just fine.
          You are correct, my apologies. Yes, I thought he was referring to the Mavicas that use the 3.5" Floppies.......

As a general rule, I think the say with 2.0 Mega pix you can blow the picture up to 8x10 without distortion. 3.0 Megapix = 11x14 max without distortion. I believe the 4.0 Megapix is 16x20........
          The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
          IACOJ

Comment

My fire investigation unit uses the Sony Maciva 400 and 500. The pictures are excellent and the quality is excellent. We have been using them for two years and never had a complaint about the quality of the pictures. The DA's office loves them because they can put the pictures in a power point presentation for court. We are in the process of buying a new Sony Maciva 500 to replace one of the 400's.

The best thing is I ahve taken pictures in a fire scene in complete darkness and only with the flash on the camera the picture looks like you have the room lite up. You have to watch having the room lite up because you can have too much light and ruin the picture.

Good Luck

Comment

Digital cameras

Digital camera pictures will not hold up in a court room, for all others they are very good for preplanning or other fire photos.

Comment

Re: Digital cameras

Originally posted by CHIEFFLAMETAMER
                Digital camera pictures will not hold up in a court room, for all others they are very good for preplanning or other fire photos.
                Sorry, Chief, but I don't believe that's the case anymore. I believe not long after they came out it was an issue of photos being able to be doctored with digital photographs.......... With the technology today, ANY picture can be doctored...........
                IACOJ

Comment

Digital Camera Use

My department uses the Nikon Cool Pix 8700. It is a great camera and produces great photos. Their are some challenges on it's use but once you understand the camera it is very nice. Our police use the Sony Mavica and they love it. Each case gets it's on CD and your done. Our courts do accept digital as long as the picture is original and we can testify to it's authenticity. Some courts do not however and this may present a challenge. Check with you courts before you go spend $1000 on software, camera the works.

Comment

posted by CHIEFFLAMETAMER: Digital camera pictures will not hold up in a court room, for all others they are very good for preplanning or other fire photos.
                    Wrong. Digital photos are used everyday all over the US. We use them routinely, and never been challenged. Digital is absolutely an acceptable photographic medium under the rules of evidence.

The only hurdle is that you have to testify that the photos are a fair and accurate representation of the scene at the time the photo was taken. You're going to have to do that with any picture you take. As far as the photos being challenged, there has never been a successful challenge to digital photos based solely on the medium in the US courts.

As to changing a photo, it's also acceptable to alter things like brightness or contrast as long as the unaltered original is available, and is otherwise unaltered.
                    Steve Gallagher
                    IACOJ BOT
                    ----------------------------
                    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Comment

Take a look at the newer Nikon D70. Awesome camera...high resolution, and very fast. I have one of these cameras. Allows you to change lenses for when you need those "close ups" as well wide angle. You can get this camera for about $1000.(body only) It also has an "idoit" mode for those that need it.
                      "Not knowing when the dawn will come I open every door"

Comment

Re: Digital cameras

Originally posted by CHIEFFLAMETAMER
                        It never fails. Every time an intelligent discussion about digital photography comes up, there is at least one, grossly uninformed know-it-all who chimes in with this urban myth.

Once again...In the US, as of today, there is not one single case where digital photography has been excluded from the case. Not a single one. Every day, more and more law enforcement agencies switch over to 100% digital. It is the future of this industry and this future has no limits.

By the way, here is a quote from an actual US Supreme Court Case. Can anyone tell me the citation?

“It is common knowledge that as to such matters, either through the skill on the part of the artist, or inadequate instruments or materials, or through intentional and skillful manipulation, a photograph may not only be inaccurate, but dangerously misleading”
                        PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Comment

Behold the power of Google

Connecticut Supreme Court

Cunningham vs. Fair Haven & Westville R. Co. (1899) 72 Conn. 244, 43 A. 1047

Comment

Re: Behold the power of Google

Originally posted by EFD840
                            Connecticut Supreme Court

Cunningham vs. Fair Haven & Westville R. Co. (1899) 72 Conn. 244, 43 A. 1047
                            Bingo! The key point here is the year in which the decision was handed down:
                            1899!

This is not a new issue for the legal system and the integration of digital imaging will be just another step in the continuing development of forensic imaging and documentation.
                            PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X