Fires in Restaurant Exhaust Hoods & Ducts Water-Wash Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fire49 View Post
    so what capacity are you in?? enorcement/inspection, owner, other??

would get model of vent a hood and get the operating instrucitons from the maker, and have the business follow the vent a hood operation/ cleaning per manufacter.

not sure what you mean by """water wash is tied into suppression system""" if I remember correctly the only fire protection that is needed is in the duct work, and to protect appliances.

now I forgot what I was going to PM fireguy about
    I am in a bit of an owner capacity but am also in an enforcement capacity. We have an on-site contractor that operates the kitchen. I am trying to justify to those higher than me more cleaning at a minimun, but preferably replacement.

By tied in to the suppression system, I mean that our inspector wants us to have the water wash system activate and dump water while the suppression system dumps its agent. There are no agent nozzles in the ducting of the system and supposedly activating the water wash would help protect the ductwork.

Comment

If you have an approved normal vent a hood installed already, I would go with a regular wet chemical system meeting UL 300.

Have two or three extinguishing companies come in and look at what you have, and give you a price

I do not understand this """"" There are no agent nozzles in the ducting of the system and supposedly activating the water wash would help protect the ductwork. """""

how old is the vent a hood and fire extinguishing system??

normally there is one nozzle at the entrnace to the duct work to the roof. This one nozzle will cover from the vent a hood to the top of the roof. Normally one is all that is required.

sounds like someone is trying to sell you something not needed, or it is on their wish list.

as far as cleaning, at least once a year, and depending on what you are cooking may have to be bumped up to twice a year or more.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

I am a mechanical engineer as well as volunteer FF and I too have never come across anything pertaining to the necessity of such a system per any codes. my district has though in recent years seen an increase in hood fires in commercial kitchens due to lack of proper cleaning. the problem we are seeing is that once the film catches, the ansul system kicks in but below where the ignition occurs. and if the exhaust fan is not automatically shut off when the system kicks on, it pulls ventilation air up the stack and fuels further fire. has anyone seen or heard of a system where multiple heads are installed up the stack so that fire near the top of the stack can be extinguished?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
        Working...
        X