Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brivette
    replied
    Here is the truck we use, it is a 1 ton (3500) Dodge short wheel base that carrys 500 gallons of high quality H20. It has 2- 300 ft 1" booster lines. it also carries 5 gallon back pack sprayers and dozens of grass paddles.

When first purchased the current Chief at the time felt we needed some high dollar super swammper tires, yes they help with digging traction but the drive to the call was eating the lugs right off. we eventually settled on some very highly rated all-terrain tires that work. as stated before experience in the drivers seat makes a difference.

http://www.broussardfire.org/apparatus/202.asp

Leave a comment:

• slackjawedyokel
    replied
    LCFD was right on target --- first ask yourself -- do I really need to go out there - is the fire hurting anything ? or is it just killing ticks ? Most of your exposures you can drive up to - protect the exposure - you see guys bury two trucks - stob a couple of tires - and work like dogs ---- and stop a brush fire ten feet before it hits -------------- a blacktopped road --not all brush fires need a fast attack - and for the ones in the rough that you just cant leave alone --- invest in some 1" forestry hose -- never saw any hose stuck in the mud.

Leave a comment:

• MoosemanKBB527
    replied
    Originally posted by LCFD1L101 View Post
    Don't go offroading when its wet, besides if it is wet fire danger should be very minimal.
    ??? are you nuts most of the time were walking around in standing water while the grass and leaves are burning on top, and the home owner is standing their saying "well its wet out i didnt think it would burn"

Leave a comment:

• rm1524
    replied
    FM

You know how it is. Everyone loves to beat a dead horse. Sometimes we even dig it up to beat on it some more.

Leave a comment:

• FIREMECH1
    replied
    YAFKM..... Dates guys....Dates.

All the skeleton horses running amok, is giving me nightmares.

Leave a comment:

• donethat
    replied
    Right Tool for the Job

Maybe you don't have the right off road tool for the job! HeHe
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• simpleguy68
    replied
    Originally posted by Poochy View Post
    I believe you need a thin tall tire, Michelin makes a tall thin tire that might fit your need. You need to get down to the bottom where there is solid ground to get traction. Just my opinion. Check the manufacture to see their recomendations.
    Ed
    That's exactly what he doesn't need. Around here, there is no bottom. you just keept sinking in what we call black gumbo mud. I buried a deuce to the axles that took a D6 dozer to pull out.

Check out Livingston VFD's F550 for a great conversion to military tires.

Originally posted by DurMEFF91 View Post
    Learn to Drive and Buy a Bigger Truck our 1967 Ford X-Gov Forestry will never Get stuck i have been around the Fire Dept for 12 years and i have yet to see it get stuck and we go to other towns to put their Chevys and Dodges out all the time Big Tires Left it Brush Garuds and Drive A Hard
    Bring it to East Texas in late-winter or early-spring and see if you don't get it stuck. Dayton also has a Jeep Wrangler with only 60 gallons on it and I've seen it get stuck multiple times on the same call, once less than 50 feet from the pavement.
    Last edited by simpleguy68; 05-18-2009, 03:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sleuth
    replied
    Since we have limited funding, I can think of two ways to go:
    1. Invest in a danforth anchor for your winch, to help pull you out.

2. We got a Polaris Ranger, put a 100 gallon tank and a small electric pump on it, and tow it on a trailer behind out tender. The tender stays on the road, refills the Polaris if needed. 2/3 FF in the Polaris, with a chain saw and some tools, can handle what we have around here.

Leave a comment:

• Gnufsh
    replied
    Originally posted by onlocation View Post
    use lighter water!
    lol!
    I don't think many people fight fires with heavy water, that tends to be reserved for reactors and such...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_water
    http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/sno/D2O.html

Leave a comment:

• Rescue101
    replied
    Shank,I'd guess inexperience.I don't know of many operations OFF ROAD where one doesn't get stuck once in awhile.I've got a bruch rig that will eat their's for breakfast and guess what: IT GETS STUCK! Not very often but weight and soft ground sometimes conspire against you.Also the Explorer in the line tag might give one a clue,hehe T.c.

Leave a comment:

• onlocation
    replied
    use lighter water!
    lol!

wider tires for flotation is probaobly your best fix for now
    might add more hose so you dont have to get that far off road, or just let it burn to you
    i know what type of country you are dealin with, not far south from there

Leave a comment:

• neiowa
    replied
    Learn to Drive and Buy a Bigger Truck our 1967 Ford X-Gov Forestry will never Get stuck i have been around the Fire Dept for 12 years and i have yet to see it get stuck and we go to other towns to put their Chevys and Dodges out all the time Big Tires Left it Brush Garuds and Drive A Hard
    Congrats on getting your drivers license. No goofing around when behind the wheel.

Leave a comment:

• SSHANK42
    replied
    Learn to Drive and Buy a Bigger Truck our 1967 Ford X-Gov Forestry will never Get stuck
    Sounds like inexperience talking or you have a good winch.

Leave a comment:

• DurMEFF91
    replied
    welll

Leave a comment:

• RangerJake72
    replied
    if you take it off road, it's pretty much a given that some time or other, you are going to get stuck, we even get our Dozers stuck here, in mud, stumps etc (and those are a mother to get unstuck)

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X